CBS says play-in games an insult

It IS an insult. Either make the 64 team bracket or wait on the NIT to be the 65th best team. It is just stupid to call a "play-in" game the 1st round of a tournament. It's just lipstick on a pig.

Reactions: 2 people
The system's always been screwed. they've just made it worse.
Even worse than the system itself are the people they have doing the seeding.
Proved that this year for sure.

Every sport is trending to create soft kids...boo hoo you lost...but here's your trophy...entitlements are exactly what play in games are.

128 teams, still top third make it, add one more week and boom...all is solved

No one even locks the brackets until Thursday morning and you can't even pick TN to win a game, you have to pick TN/Iowa. That alone, should tell most that they don't even think it counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Every sport is trending to create soft kids...boo hoo you lost...but here's your trophy...entitlements are exactly what play in games are.

a team that performs well all season getting left out because a bad team strung together 3 wins is not an entitlement

Reactions: 4 people
because teams with a 13-19 record getting automatic bids keeps it strong

I love the system the way it is.....if u dont have a good enough resume to earn an at large bid then u dont deserve a bid.....its a tourney driven sport.

Win the games your supposed to and you won't have to worry about the play-in game. It was always about the $ and always will be.

I hope Tennessee wins our play-in game tonight. Would love to see 2014 (without an asterix) put on the banner in TBA.

because teams with a 13-19 record getting automatic bids keeps it strong

At least those team were required to beat the best in front of them for an auto bid.

We pride ourselves on beating 4 loser teams and Missouri.

If that 13-19 team can beat multiple teams better than them to win some form of a championship, respect. You can look back now and say Cuonzo beat better teams but it wasn't at the time. We can't even win in the NIT.

A 13-19 team winning their tournament is more impressive than Tennessee beating a bunch of trash and losing to everyone better. Other than Missouri, that run is gross. I'll take the 13-19 team winning their tournament. They actually beat better teams. I'll wait and see Cuonzo accomplish that.

Was there this much outrage the past 3 season over the addtional play-in games? Or is it only because UT is playing in one that it's now unfair?

Was there this much outrage the past 3 season over the addtional play-in games? Or is it only because UT is playing in one that it's now unfair?

Not just Tennessee fans.

We've averaged top 5 in attendance and have the facilities to be great

Even Iowa fired Alford... he's now at a better program with UCLA.

Iowa actually cares enough about winning to find an improvement. I don't see why Vols fans should accept we can't be a powerhouse in basketball. Tennessee offers more than Iowa and it's sad when Iowa expects more than Tennessee.

At least those team were required to beat the best in front of them.

We pride ourselves on beating 4 loser teams and Missouri.

If that 13-19 team can beat multiple teams better than them to some form of title, respect. You can look back now and say Cuonzo beat better teams but it wasn't at the time. We can't even win in the NIT.

A 13-19 team winning their tournament is more impressive than Tennessee beating a bunch of trash and losing to everyone better. Other than Missouri, that run is gross. I'll take the 13-19 team winning their tournament. They actually beat better teams. I'll wait and see Cuonzo accomplish that.

the teams they beat are trash too and so are many of the AQ teams. If someone really wants to point to entitlements it's in full effect with the AQ methodology. If it was a tournament with the 64/68 best teams in the country UT would be in easily

Except the teams in the 16 seed play-in games didn't lose. They won.

If we want to continue to expand the tournament because BCS teams feel like their feelings got hurt by teams who played by the rules, then they should be the ones in the play-in games, not the teams that have been playing by the rules and saw the rules changed on them.

Last edited:
the teams they beat are trash too and so are many of the AQ teams. If someone really wants to point to entitlements it's in full effect with the AQ methodology. If it was a tournament with the 64/68 best teams in the country UT would be in easily

I've never understood why there's no 1AA classification for basketball.

Reactions: 1 person

I'm not saying lower conferences aren't trash.

I'm saying that a lower level team at least showed up in a tournament.

When does Martin ever beat higher rated teams? He gets eliminated in the first round of the NIT and loses the second he faces a quality team in the SEC tournament.

I can at least respect someone winning a tournament. Martin never wins tournaments and he almost always loses against better teams head to head. I'm behind him for this tournament but I'm not impressed by anything he has done. Unless you mean beating cancer, that I'm impressed by. He's a great guy. I'm not impressed by his basketball prowess though.

That's the misconception people fail to realize. It's not the best 64/68 teams that play in the NCAAT.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back