Coach Gillespie talks about Hurd & Lane

I just hope that Hurd develops into a tough back and that this fan base is capable of allowing him the time to do so.

Yet, there will be the naysayers screaming bust if he doesn't run for 200+ yards in his first game.

i don't give a shat if the guy is 6'10". if he is fast, can shift and cut quickly, and break tackles, then by God he can be a running back!:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Hurd reminds me of...

a true freshman that's going to take some time to figure it all out and put it all together.

If all these great guys in this last recruiting class put it all together by their Junior years like we believe they will and buTch keeps recruiting like this last class then we'll be back in the SEC and National Championship race where we belong again.

Relax, enjoy the consistent building process and give it a little time because we damn sure ARE back on the right track again, finally.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Not a real issue with it,but when people say "He's not going to come in and be Barry Sanders" I think neither was BARRY SANDERS...until his JUNIOR YEAR :yu:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

A LOT of people forget, Barry Sanders blocked for Thurman Thomas ... just sayin'

Nope. The only players that was like The Bus, was Jim Taylor, the Packer great and John Riggins the Redskins bulldozer. Those guys were thick bodied chunks of muscle rumbling like 18Lbs bowling balls. Joe Frazier and Sonny Liston type builds, Jalen is more Muhammad Ali. Not to say Jalen can't put his head down and play bull of the woods. He's more like Eric Dickerson. But a tiny bit of me wonders if he also has Jim Brown mixture of power and speed. What our RB coach is teaching about balance when bouncing off people, if Jalen gets it, he will be Brown-like. This is what Brown's real strength was, his incredible balance even after being hit hard. Haven't see him, don't know anything yet, Scott might be more of a Gale Sayers type RB.

Now that was a trip down memory lane. When you talk about big, bruising fullbacks of yesteryear, however, don't forget Larry Csonka or Franco Harris.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Now that was a trip down memory lane. When you talk about big, bruising fullbacks of yesteryear, however, don't forget Larry Csonka or Franco Harris.

Oh man! The Zonk was really something. How'd I forget him???? He had a running mate before Mercury Morris, you recall his name? Yeah, Franco was a bruiser.

Last edited:
Oh man! The Zonk was really something. How'd I forget him???? He had a running mate before Mercury Morris, you recall his name? Yeah, Franco was a bruiser.

Jim Kiick ? Zonk is my all time favorite RB . One tough dude. He is one of the few if not the only RB to receive a personal foul penalty for unnecessary roughness while carrying the ball. BTW the Zonk stood at 6' 3".

Larry Csonka 6-3, 237
John Riggins 6-2, 230
Franco Harris 6-2, 230
Jim Brown 6-2, 232
Eric Dickerson 6-3, 220

If anything, these Hall of Famers were disproportionately taller than their peers than Jalen Hurd is in relation to players in the contemporary game.

Don't forget about the Nigerian Nightmare. He was pretty good for a couple of years. He would run folks over. Also, Bo Jackson...if I wished Hurd would end up like anyone, that's who I'd pick, minus the hip injury of course.

Don't forget about the Nigerian Nightmare. He was pretty good for a couple of years. He would run folks over. Also, Bo Jackson...if I wished Hurd would end up like anyone, that's who I'd pick, minus the hip injury of course.

You aren't asking for much.

Jim Kiick ? Zonk is my all time favorite RB . One tough dude. He is one of the few if not the only RB to receive a personal foul penalty for unnecessary roughness while carrying the ball. BTW the Zonk stood at 6' 3".

Right!!! It was Jim Kiick. Yeah the Zonk was 6'3" but it's the body build I'm focused on. He was Sequoia, where as Hurd is a Ponderosa Pine. They're both tall but the first is very much thicker.

That was a DE playing RB. Hurd is nothing like that. basically, we're discussing comparing Hurd to more realistic body types. I think most of us agree he's more of an Eric Dickerson RB. People throwing out the names of bowling ball backs who happen to also be tall don't get it. Hurd is symmetrically build, he's not a knot of lumpy muscle like the guys we're currently referring to. Nor will he play like them.

Is Hurd still too tall? Well jumpin' Jiminies, how long is it going to take to fix that?

VN Store

Back