'14 JUCO OT Dontavius Blair (UT SIGNEE 12/18/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate?

We have EEs signing this week.

IMO booth was told last week he can't EE so no papers would be signed.

Until I hear more explanation of why he isn't an EE that will be my opinion

Edit: there is a more recent tweet suggesting he is signing his financial aid agreeement meaning he is an EE.

Last edited:
Tommy Thigpen ‏@UTCoachThig 6m
Me and D Blair! Welcome home!!!

BYvOs4TCAAAlYUe.jpg:large

That's a large man. Bet Butch liked his jacket.

Reactions: 1 person
Literally can not find anything about Booth not being an EE. Closest thing I saw was his counselor was explaining to him the new financial aid agreement possibilities.

Dominique Booth ‏@D1Bound721 7 Nov
My counselor was just talking to me about signing the financial aid agreement and the rule change

You are usually spot on with rules.

Don't think so here.

At the very least attending class stops the contact

It's wiki but it's consistent with everything else I've read on this subject.

During recruitment, a college coach may ask a prospective player to sign a National Letter of Intent (NLI). The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program.[5] By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. An important provision of the National Letter of Intent program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs a Letter of Intent.[5] This prohibition requires participating institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once a National Letter of Intent is signed with another institution.

Recruiting (college athletics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The part in bold is what makes the NLI significant. That significance is not part of the early financial aid agreements.

From SBNation, admittedly another dubious source but still consistent with everything I've read on this subject.

It is important to note that signing these early financial aid agreements does not replace the letter of intent -- players remain unbound and are still free to enroll elsewhere even after this. In turn, other schools are still able to recruit them even after these forms are filled out, and limits on contact via in-person visit or phone call are removed.

NCAA rule lets Ohio State, LSU sign players in November - SBNation.com

Last edited:
It's wiki but it's consistent with everything else I've read on this subject.

Recruiting (college athletics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The part in bold is what makes the NLI significant. That significance is not part of the early financial aid agreements.

From SBNation, admittedly another dubious source but still consistent with everything I've read on this subject.

NCAA rule lets Ohio State, LSU sign players in November - SBNation.com

Thanks chatt. Good stuff.

NLI isn't key though It's 1st day of class

Thanks chatt. Good stuff.

NLI isn't key though It's 1st day of class

First day of class is when player officially is enrolled and on scholarship at particular school. Signing NLI immediately stops ALL recruitment of player. It's a binding agreement between player and school. Not all players signing a NLI will actually make it and enroll though for varying reasons.

"Blair indeed signed his financial aid agreement and I'm hearing he's not the only one who did so this weekend. Trying to find out who else did.

Now, what this means is that Blair is secured a spot in the Vols' signing class and it lifts the restrictions of the in-home visits, in-person contact and phone contact.

Now, he can still sign somewhere else, but this is a good get for Tennessee to lock him up while on campus and from talking to him he doesn't seem like a guy that wants to go anywhere else. He said he's finished with recruiting and is a Vol and ready to come in and help next semester."

-Fort

Re-Boom!!!!!!!!!

“I’m Tennessee all the way,” he said. “It’s like having a girlfriend. You don’t want to talk to another girl when you have one that has all you need.”

-scout

Reactions: 5 people
“I’m Tennessee all the way,” he said. “It’s like having a girlfriend. You don’t want to talk to another girl when you have one that has all you need.”

-scout

interesting metaphor...the hostess program is making a return under Butch, eh? Would explain the remarkable recruiting success...

disclaimer: this is a joke

interesting metaphor...the hostess program is making a return under Butch, eh? Would explain the remarkable recruiting success...

disclaimer: this is a joke

Whatever works. Now is the time, the NCAA is nothing more than a glorified hall monitor that lost it's badge.

The 6-foot-8, 300-pound lineman signed his financial aid agreement with Tennessee locking the Vols into assigning him a scholarship. For Blair, it meant that he was now apart of the Vol family. "Just knowing that I'm through with the recruiting process and knowing that I have family here is great," Blair said.

"It was seeing the atmosphere, basically," Blair said on what continued to sell Blair on being a Vol. "And like I said, family, the players, all of that. I call that family. Being with them after the game they let me know the outlooks on life and not just the game and about the next level. I was just taking it all in."

Spending time at Butch Jones' during the visit weekend was something that help build that family bond for Blair. "He just made you feel welcome. When you first walk in he greets you and lets you know what's mine is yours and that's how it should be," Blair said. "It's just loyalty over royalty with anybody," Blair said. "If you can trust somebody that's big. Trust and the Lord can take you a long way in life."

"It's totally different, especially knowing I'm committed there and they were showing me love, which they did that at other places, but it there was nothing like the Vol family," Blair added.

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
“it’s glory to me, just knowing i’ve gone through the recruiting process[.] i know i’ve got family here now, and i’m happy.”

“(vols linebackers) curt maggitt and a.j. Johnson, i hung with them in the summer. They’re great guys, man, great guys. And i know, by them being leaders, that they’re great guys, and the team’s going to feed off them.”

going to first-year tennessee coach butch jones’ house, blair said, was another highlight of the visit.

“he just made everybody feel welcome,” blair said. “he greeted you. He let you know off the top, ‘what’s mine is yours.’ and that’s how it should feel. That’s how it should be.

“the juco i’m at, i called it a pit stop. Get what you need and get on. Coming out and seeing this right here (at tennessee) made me want to work harder — a team with more goals, going to coach jones’ house. Me being the age i am and looking up to somebody like that, it made me want a house like that. It’s going to push me.”

Found this quote to be pretty awesome from Blair (on teams still recruiting him):

“I haven’t been answering phone calls,” he said. “Like I said, loyalty over royalty. If I’m committed there, why am I still talking to other people?”

Teams still trying to contact him include Auburn, A&M, and FSU.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe the player can still sign somewhere else, but UT has to honor their spot if they sign with UT.

I knew they could sign somewhere else and I believe recruit can not have in home visits or something about lifting certain recruiting rules for them, but I asked BruinVol if recruit could just be on financial aid (the one a few have already signed) and others be on scholarship. This seems like it just locks their scholarship from being pulled. Thanks for any info btw. :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back