Recruiting Forum: Football Talk VIII

I love what Butch has done so far. He's exceeded expectations the first year in recruiting. He's well on his way, at least in my mind to exceeding expectations the first year in coaching. The last two games have proven that.

Having said that there is alot, and I mean alot that has to go in to getting back to having a run like we had in the 90's. The strength of the East will play a huge role, adding another conference game will be tough, how long does Saban stay at bama, etc.

Not saying it can't be done, but Butch will have to turn out to be the second coming of Saban for us to get back to that point, IMO and its too early to tell. I think he's a good coach, but time will tell if he's a great coach and can get us back to elite status.

Everything is looking good so far. ..but as I have learned in the past, things can change quickly.

I agree its a big uphill climb, I'm just saying its also not impossible. I also don't want him to be the second coming of Saban, but the first coming of himself to unseat Saban, because inevitably at all times it has to happen and I hope Butch is that coach.

Reactions: 3 people
I love what Butch has done so far. He's exceeded expectations the first year in recruiting. He's well on his way, at least in my mind to exceeding expectations the first year in coaching. The last two games have proven that.

Having said that there is alot, and I mean alot that has to go in to getting back to having a run like we had in the 90's. The strength of the East will play a huge role, adding another conference game will be tough, how long does Saban stay at bama, etc.

Not saying it can't be done, but Butch will have to turn out to be the second coming of Saban for us to get back to that point, IMO and its too early to tell. I think he's a good coach, but time will tell if he's a great coach and can get us back to elite status.

Everything is looking good so far. ..but as I have learned in the past, things can change quickly.

I think it will take years to get there, but I think many fans are a bit mythical about that decade. TN produced an enormous amount of talent, but only produced one national title and a few SEC championships. Butch can get us there, as I think Scar is at their peak along with Vandy.

I agree its a big uphill climb, I'm just saying its also not impossible. I also don't want him to be the second coming of Saban, but the first coming of himself to unseat Saban, because inevitably at all times it has to happen and I hope Butch is that coach.

Great comment. I completely agree that we don't want Butch to be anything like Saban. We want Butch to be highly feared and respected as a head coach and to build his own winning tradition. You can already tell that all his assistant coaches and his players and recruits love him. Saban may be feared by some but he is not really respected because of the way he treats others and his attitude towards recruits which includes their families. Saban is a b***h and most likely has very few friends. JMO

Reactions: 1 person

Hope is a good word. It would be nice for it to work out the way you stated, but the chances of someone matching what Saban's done anytime soon are slim. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but with the playoffs coming its going to become even harder.

And as I said, early indications are good with Butch . I couldn't be any happier than where we are right now in his first year, other than winning every game of course, but he has exceeded my expectations so far. But again, things can change quickly.

Speaking of special teams, Jones has made them an emphasis since his arrival and now he's taking that emphasis and turned it into ownership within the team. Jones has elected captains of his special teams units and they are responsible for leading the unit in extra film study and helping present things to the coaches and units in meetings that they have found in the video breakdown that they have done. That was part of what showed up Saturday when the Vols snuffed out a potential fake from South Carolina. Walk on Gregory Grieco and Byron Moore were the first to see the personnel change from South Carolina but everyone picked up on it quickly based on film study. The Vol coaches on the sidelines picked it up, but the stadium was so loud that they couldn't communicate it to the players on the field. Jones was poised to call timeout. But he didn't need to because of the players' prep through the week. It was key to be able to save the timeout because it allowed Jones to stop the clock three times later in the game to give Tennessee the ball back with 2:48 on the clock instead of 2 minutes on the clock.

In talking to Jones and assistant coach Zach Azzanni, who coaches punt return, it's as proud of their team as I have seen them all year. It's why Jones called it a win within a win. They also see it as another shot of credibility that the investment into preparing to play really makes a difference.

-VQ

Reactions: 23 people
Great comment. I completely agree that we don't want Butch to be anything like Saban. We want Butch to be highly feared and respected as a head coach and to build his own winning tradition. You can already tell that all his assistant coaches and his players and recruits love him. Saban may be feared by some but he is not really respected because of the way he treats others and his attitude towards recruits which includes their families. Saban is a b***h and most likely has very few friends. JMO

Would you really care how the players were treated if we won 3 out of the last 4 NCs with a chance to win another this year?

That "how the players are treated" line isn't talked about much when you have a run like they have had and are putting kids in the NFL.

Just sayin

It will be interesting to see if quarterback Justin Worley wear gloves or at least a glove on his throwing hand on Saturday. Worley, who hit it thumb on a helmet last week against South Carolina, hasn't missed any practice time on the field this week. He has worn the gloves every day. The coaches have said it's to help him grip the ball better. An athletic department staff member did tweet out a picture of Worley this week and he had a pretty heavy looking wrap around his hand/thumb. But Worley did work in Thursday's light practice without the gloves for the first time all week. We noted multiple times this week that Riley Ferguson had a black wrap on his leg, and that's allowed Joshua Dobbs to garner the majority of second-team reps. If the Vols have a need for someone other than Worley at quarterback, base on practice reps Dobbs appeared to be in position to be that guy. Nathan Peterman is progressing in his rehab from thumb surgery and he's consistently worked in smaller and smaller wraps on his hand until finally being unshackled.

-VQ

The insight here on the Special Teams play versus South Carolina may be the best news I have heard about this staff to date. I said it at the time, and this confirms it, that USCjr would have got a 1st down right there against Dooley and ended the game more than likely.

These are exciting times!

Would you really care how the players were treated if we won 3 out of the last 4 NCs with a chance to win another this year?

That "how the players are treated" line isn't talked about much when you have a run like they have had and are putting kids in the NFL.

Just sayin

Think about this: If players and recruits weren't being treated well do you really think that current players and recruits would be going out of their way to help recruit the best players to Tennessee? If players and recruits are treated like crap it will eventually catch up to the head coach. When Saban starts losing out on more top recruits and starts losing games his players and fanbase will start to turn on him. It's going to happen.

That's awesome. From looking at the stats, I'm guessing it was when they punted near midfield early in the 4th quarter. That's huge because it likely kept at least 3 points off the board.

Even better, we have coaches who would have called timeout before it ever happened. I heart this coaching staff.

Think about this: If players and recruits weren't being treated well do you really think that current players and recruits would be going out of their way to help recruit the best players to Tennessee? If players and recruits are treated like crap it will eventually catch up to the head coach. When Saban starts losing out on more top recruits and starts losing games his players and fanbase will start to turn on him. It's going to happen.

Last I checked Bama had the number one class in the country. Saban will not start losing out on recruits until he starts losing multiple games per season and its evident that its time for him to retire. And I am not so sure that it will even happen that way.

And by the way, his players have to somewhat enjoy playing for him or they'd just lay out on him. Haven't seen a lack of effort from his teams since he's been the coach there.

Hate saying it because I hate bama but the stats dont lie.

Back to my point, all I am saying is if I had my choice between a "good guy" nice coach who could never get past winning 8 or 9 games versus a "jerk" of a coach who did nothing but win national titles, then gimme the coach that wins the titles .

Would I rather win championships with a coach like Butch? Absolutely and hope he gets it done.

They are not offended and have embraced the term,"Bamers". The "barn" dictionary has replaced "Bamer" with "updyke" and "cousin grinder".

Tiger, you're quickly becoming my favorite poster this week. It will all change, of course, in a couple weeks.

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry for getting a little off topic, but does anyone know what time the band will be doing their show at Miller Plaza in Chattanooga today?

I will forever be thankful that my football prime (high school and college in particular) was spent cheering on the Big Orange during that time, but let's be honest, we prolly had the rosters at that time to double the SEC championships we had (or more) and win another Natty or two.

If we produce a stretch of recruiting results now like we did then, with stronger in game strategies, I see no reason our beloved Vols can not outdo what was done in the '90s.

Time to :popcorn: and later we can :toast:

Tougher SEC and a new playoff system.

I noticed that in game. USCe lined up in a different formation for one punt. Greico did a great job of pointing it out to all the other players and getting them in a punt safe formation. Eventually USCe took a delay of game on the play.

The improvement overall in the kicking game has been pretty cool to see.

"It's probably been too many times to count that Jones and others around the program have stressed the family aspect and environment that is Jones' stated goal. Well, it's important to note it's a program which lives Jones' words. Every Monday night the football program has family night, where all coaches wives and children come to the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center for dinner and the kids are able to play on the indoor field.

Additionally, coaches' wives have been known to have baked goods in the positional meeting rooms and on Thursday this week, coaches' and support staff children dressed up for Halloween and passed around candy. Last Thursday, Jones hosted the seniors at his house for dinner.

Jones has also done all he can to get the team ready for crowd noise. One of the reasons Tennessee moved practice inside on Wednesday was to make it louder on the players as they had music and crowd noise from two different speaker systems and it's been relentless with all of the favorites from Bryant-Denny Stadium. When Jones was at Cincinnati to prepare for Neyland Stadium, he had Rocky Top played over 800 times during practice on game week."

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
It's not going to make it easier to win a title.

It's never easy to win a title, but the playoff makes it easier to get the chance to, IMO. Getting that opportunity makes a huge difference. How many of our teams in the 90's would have got that chance with only an early loss to Florida?

VN Store

Back