Neyland Stadium becoming more annoying (my thoughts)

The term "Swag" makes me gag

Sounds like something two prepubescent males would say to each other to hype them up before getting turned down by the opposite sex

Reactions: 1 person
I'm forty eight and enjoy the pageantry and tradition associated with college football in general and Tennessee football in particular. That being said, I was at the SC game this past Saturday and didn't see a thing wrong with the piped in music. It certainly helped to energize the team and pump up the stadium crowd late in the 3rd quarter when both had become flat after a couple of Gamecock scores. I'm happy to not hear "Livin' on a prayer" but wish that POTSMB would bring back "The Immigrant Song" while the Vols are on defense. OP needs to embrace the change especially if it helps to bring about a lost tradition on Tennessee gamedays...winning.

Pre-recorded music didn't hype our team to win. They hyped themselves to win. Based on your logic, the pre-recorded music should have hyped South Carolina to finish out the game. It didn't. Therefore it is useless and annoying.

I don't see anything wrong with the atmosphere now either. All of those things they put up on the Jumbotron seem to get the crowd more fired up and in to the game. Not to mention this past Saturday when Sterling Hinton started dancing like a maniac in the north end zone. He got the crowd more fired up, and yelling, then the cheerleaders or band ever could. Don't get me wrong, I love our band, but sometimes it takes something more, or different to get the crowd into the game. Plus the recruits love it, and that's what we need.

I didn't even read the OP's rant because it appeared to be long. I scrolled down to some comments. I was able to easily know what the OP complained about. I am glad I did not read that garbage. Stay home from now on. Let someone else take your spot that wants to be there and enjoys the atmosphere. Phone coverage, standing, music....STFU!

100% with you. It's a football game not a circus. It's incredibly annoying going to any sporting event where they pump out overly loud music (any type of music) during any momentary pause in the action. You can't even talk with the people you came with. I think the only person who really enjoys it is the DJ - it's his 15 minutes of fame and he thinks the event is about him......jmo.

100% with you. It's a football game not a circus. It's incredibly annoying going to any sporting event where they pump out overly loud music (any type of music) during any momentary pause in the action. You can't even talk with the people you came with. I think the only person who really enjoys it is the DJ - it's his 15 minutes of fame and he thinks the event is about him......jmo.

Fans in our section disagree. Out of curiosity, were you there Saturday? And if so, in what section?

cell phone coverage is one of the most confusing complaints for me. Can't be part of the "atmosphere and pageantry" if you're staring at a 4" screen

Yeah well tell that to my wife while she's on the table giving birth and trying to get in touch with me.

Simple solution....if you do not like it then do NOT go.

Which is what I have done. The problem is that should not have happened. But the UTAD chose that route and I chose mine.

Good luck selling those $10 tickets. That's something that's here to stay once you make the experience too uncomfortable for older fans who have the money to make the donations and buy the season tickets. They won't be back. The further you move away from POTS and increase the noise with pretend music the worse it is going to get. There doesn't need to be music playing every spare minute. Let the game and crowd noise also have room. That is the reason you are there, or at least it should be.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah well tell that to my wife while she's on the table giving birth and trying to get in touch with me.

how about I tell her that if your wife is in labor then you shouldn't be going out to watch a football game

5.7" for me, loser

:lol: the guy with a mini-tablet stuck to his ear calls me a loser

Which is what I have done. The problem is that should not have happened. But the UTAD chose that route and I chose mine.

Good luck selling those $10 tickets. That's something that's here to stay once you make the experience too uncomfortable for older fans who have the money to make the donations and buy the season tickets. They won't be back. The further you move away from POTS and increase the noise with pretend music the worse it is going to get. There doesn't need to be music playing every spare minute. Let the game and crowd noise also have room. That is the reason you are there, or at least it should be.

Yeah, no one's going to go to a game where the crowd is loud and boisterous all game long and the home team is winning. Not a plan to sell tickets at all.

Reactions: 4 people
the few times it played, the players reacted to it. when the game was over, the team came in front of the band.

seems like both are working pretty well

If you aren't attending games, how can you have an opinion on what it feels like?

That don't play loud music at every time out anyway. I think whoever is in charge of the videos on the Jumbotron is doing an excellent job. Those videos they show during timeouts, etc. are awesome, and they do get the crowd in to the game. All I know is if this is what the players and recruits want to hear, and it gets them more pumped up, then I'm all for it too! Really what bothers me more than anything is when the other team brings their band, and both bands start playing at the same time, and it really sounds just bad.

how about I tell her that if your wife is in labor then you shouldn't be going out to watch a football game

:lol: the guy with a mini-tablet stuck to his ear calls me a loser

it's a phablet. don't be so lame

Cell phones don't work because you're in a giant concrete bowl. Should they put a cell tower on top of neyland? Get off your phones and enjoy the game.

Technically, all they would have to do is put some small antennas on top of the press box. Or they could put up a temporary (COW) tower on game days, but that would be a lot more complicated.

Most likely the reason your phone won't work is a quantity issue, not a coverage issue (too many people trying to call in/out from one place). So they really just need to ramp up the existing network using some amplifiers on game day.

I agree with you about watching the game, but it's the world we live in now. Then these weird people who want to hit Twitter & FB instead of watching the next play can be happy, too...

Last edited:
I thought the atmosphere was great on Sat. With that said, if they're going to pump in music they need to invest in some better speakers. Now one of the hurdles Neyland has is the double bowl design. You almost have to put them at the top and it's hard for bass to filter down that much.

With the newer NFL stadium designs you either have a buffer between the 2 or 3 levels, or open ended endzones and the speakers are attached to the jumbotrons and able to "fill" the stadium with sound from the mid-point.

VN Store

Back