Todd Kelly

former DE, around 1992. Drafted by the 49ers.

edit: I'm 26, i was 11 at the time, don't remember a lot about him, just him. Am i old?

you don't have to be old to remember todd kelly, and many UT historians and stat gurus still refer to him in the early 90's. you are right, 1993 draft to the san fran 49er's and then went to bengals for a couple of years, had some injuries and disappeared. he was a force to handle on the field.

Kelly was a very good rush end.

Noel was a solid SS, wore #9 for those who don't remember, wasn't the greatest cover guy.

Hines wore #47 for those who don't remember him, he played the run really well, hit well, had trouble with pass coverage and wrapping up.

My first "favorite" Vol was really Chuck Webb. I remember very clearly watching the Cotton Bowl vs Arky, and knowing he was having a great game, but what made him my fav was that he made my father's eyes light up like I'd never seen.

I loved Dale Carter and Carl Pickens, Carter used to dance before every kick and punt return, my dad hated it, and i would now, but i loved it as a kid.

Good ol' Billy Ratliff for me. He's the only player who I'd really consider giving his game jersey back to him free of charge, so I did. It was a nice one too; 1996 orange with Neyland 75th patch and a bunch of repairs and paint transfers.

Todd had a great year in '92 on an otherwise below average defense that couldn't stop the run....Chuck Smith, Chris Mims and Dale Carter all came in as JC transfers in 1990 and saved our defense - talk about a quick fix - that was a heartbreaking year, we were in so many close games but either tied or lost them all....the Auburn game in particular has always bothered me....My favorite unsung player of all time is JJ McCleskey, a walk on from Karns who played DB and WR with more heart than any Vol has in the last five years.

JJ McCleskey almost caught the onside kick that led to Ark. victory in '92. If he had been 2 inches taller we would have won. Still he was a tough player. It just upsets me cause that was my first game in Neyland. I looked forward to it for so long and we had great seats, then we lost.

Tyrone Hines was from Brownsville- played for Haywood Co. Tomcats
Saved us from defeat by returning a fumble for a TD against Vandy.

Earnest Fields was from Milan as was John Fisher (center).
Jeff Smith TE is also Milan alum and former Vol-caught a TD against Miami in the '85 Sugar Bowl. 2nd score of the night if memory serves.

There are several players that have come from Milan...wasn't there the two KIDD brothers that played...I believe John Tucker was the coach back then and they used to be 5the best around..i watched several games when my highschool played Milan

Todd Kelly, 6-4, 262

Did not start until his senior season, 1992. Tied for team lead in sacks with 5 in 1990. Notched 5 1/2 sacks in 1991 as backup for all-americans Chuck Smith and Chris Mims. Recorded a team high 11 sacks in 1992 to finish his career second only to Reggie White at UT in the career sacks category.

Todd Kelly was honored by Coaches (All-America), AP (third team), Football News, and College/Pro Football Weekly (second team). He was all-SEC in AP and Football News. He was selected in the 1st round (27th overall) of the '93 NFL draft by the 49ers.

Anybody remember this guy? He was my favorite player growing up, and for some reason, I can't really remember why. What are your favorite Todd Kelly memories, and who are your favorite "unsung heroes"?

(also have to add that Tori Noel was the man!)

He lived in my neighborhood when I was in high school out in Farragut (Sweetbriar) Our houses were very similiar and after their house caught on fire he came over to lokk at ours. Super nice guy, but I figured he would have lived in a more affulent neighborhood.

There are several players that have come from Milan...wasn't there the two KIDD brothers that played...I believe John Tucker was the coach back then and they used to be 5the best around..i watched several games when my highschool played Milan

Just one to my knowledge played at UT - George Kidd

JWT was the coach then. Had the pleasure (?) of playing for him myself.
5th best?

Dale Jones....L.B. A head hunter and never say die kind of player. Led the way on defense against the mighty hurricanes in the '85 Sugar Bowl;you remember the team we were not suppose to be on the field with that night. Let me remind you Cane's 35-7

I always liked Jeremy Lincoln and Greg Amsler. I was at the 91 Sugar Bowl and I'll never forget that there was a half dressed woman with the name "Greg Amsler" painted on her chest. That left quite an impression on a 11 yr old boy... It was also a really good game...

Dale Jones....L.B. A head hunter and never say die kind of player. Led the way on defense against the mighty hurricanes in the '85 Sugar Bowl;you remember the team we were not suppose to be on the field with that night. Let me remind you Cane's 35-7

Kelly Ziegler as well

Todd Kelly's son is a Middle School Quarterback that is supposed to be a HECK of a player.

don't have all the details....... I'm in West TN

Todd Kelly's son is a Middle School Quarterback that is supposed to be a HECK of a player.

don't have all the details....... I'm in West TN

i believe he's a DB if i'm not mistaken. i think he'll be playing for Catholic.

If you have the DVD Decade of Dominance, I believe he is the one that says "We can handle a couple of losses in a row at Tennessee, but if you lose 3 in a row, there's gonna be some changes" - referring to Majors being fired

Todd Kelley was an All-American defensive end for UT in the early 90's, much in the same mode as Shaun Ellis later. Came to UT as a large LB and converted to a DE. He had one game against Spurrier's Florida where he ate up a freshman offensive tackle named Green and kept the Gator's QB (?Terry Dean) on his butt all day.

Drafted by the 49ers in first or second round. Kelley was a great pass rusher with spin moves, bull rushes etc.

i believe he's a DB if i'm not mistaken. i think he'll be playing for Catholic.

Thanks, I found this quote from GoVOLSExtra:

"Kelly, the son of former Tennessee standout Todd Kelly, helped the Catholic youth football team to an 11-0 record and the Knox County championship."

did he have another son who ended up at VaTech or somewhere? I think he was pretty highly recruited and it was just in the last couple of years or so.

I saw Todd Kelly at the Keith Sweat concert last year in Knoxville. He had recently just moved back to Knoxville.

Sounds like Todd Kelly now lives in the Knoxville area, but I was recalling that he came from Spring City -- is that correct?

VN Store

Back