Golden will not return next season (confirmed)

So should some of us still be roasted for not believing that Martin wanted "to go in a different direction?"

Some people are just so quick to judge.

Reactions: 2 people
IMO he ends up at Maryland
Yeah, you're probably right to be honest. Maryland desperately needs help (more than us) and he didn't even list us in his short list. BUT I know him and Cuonzo have been talking and since we're down a PG... It's possible.

Why not? He has to improve to play the 1, but we got, what six months till tip off? Plus, you get to keep McRae/Richardson as your starters, you get Hubbs starter minutes, and you get your best five out there.

He's a scorer that needs to be a slasher and needs to build confidence that way. I agree get your best 5 out but putting him in that situation will be difficult. He's never played the 1.

Maybe he cheated and an Assistant coach knew and told Cheek who booted him and now Martin is firiing the assistant because he screwed him?

LOL, I really don't think it is very complicated.

It is probably some really gay Jimmy Cheek ruling like he sneezed during a test and that constitutes cheating and being dismissed from UT.

Maybe he sneezed at a public event and didn't properly dispose of his snot.

Interesting. He sure could play the pity card. Hurt team one year and left pg less the next at the 11th hour.

Here's why that doesn't work with me, he now has an open spot. There's someone out there, whether it's a juco transfer or a graduate transfer, but there's someone out there who can dribble. You don't need a scoring guard, there will be plenty of scoring threats on this team. You need someone who can pass, dribble and defend, and in a perfect world knock down the open 3.

Reactions: 1 person
I know and that's why I said that's an extreme longshots. Very few of those guys out there. Much less PGs

What about Mark Lyon?

Immediate transfer can help out. I doubt you'd get someone to replace Golden's production, but Antonio Barton is available and he's a damn good option.

Yeah, you're probably right to be honest. Maryland desperately needs help (more than us) and he didn't even list us in his short list. BUT I know him and Cuonzo have been talking and since we're down a PG... It's possible.

He's got a young daughter in Baltimore as well.

Totally agree.

I think a combo of Thompson/Hubbs/McRae/Lopez could lead this team to an NCAA birth alternating at the PG till we find the best option.

We are going to be so good down low, the guy just has to get the ball to Maymon and Stokes and play great D.

If they can't score they can kick it out to Richardson, Hubbs, Mcrea, Thompson,ect who can drill the outside shot or drive.

We will be FINE!

This in no way should be an excuse to miss the tourney. Hell, half the people think Trae Golden was the reason we sucked last year anyway.

We still have more returning talent than 95% of the teams in D-I (Stokes, McRae and Maymon...not to mention a very good role player in JRich). This team realistically should be a top 10 team next year. I hate to bring up the previous staff but what would your expectations be with Bruce at the helm?

Of course, I fully expect us to be an 8 seed to bubble team. People will decry the loss of Golden and wonder, like last year, how we were supposed to recover from the loss of one of our key players.

Couple thoughts here:

1) We have a scholly left. At the very least, I think CCM can find a mid major guy that has solid contributions and find somebody to play immediately to help out.

2) If #1 doesn't happen, I'm telling Hubbs to watch Steve Nash all summer and telling him he's my guy.

I'd rather McRae play PG than Hubbs, he at least has played the position some...JMO.

I just don't believe number 1 is realistic. IMO any serviceable body is already signed.

Antonio Barton is a more than serviceable option...and I haven't looked closely at the other schools he's considering (Maryland, Syracuse, A&M), but I'm guessing we are the only school without a PG.

Here's why that doesn't work with me, he now has an open spot. There's someone out there, whether it's a juco transfer or a graduate transfer, but there's someone out there who can dribble. You don't need a scoring guard, there will be plenty of scoring threats on this team. You need someone who can pass, dribble and defend, and in a perfect world knock down the open 3.

I just don't believe it's fair to think martin should get a decent replacement if he just became aware of this. Now if he had known for a long time this was possible that's another story

This in no way should be an excuse to miss the tourney. Hell, half the people think Trae Golden was the reason we sucked last year anyway.

We still have more returning talent than 95% of the teams in D-I (Stokes, McRae and Maymon...not to mention a very good role player in JRich). This team realistically should be a top 10 team next year. I hate to bring up the previous staff but what would your expectations be with Bruce at the helm?

Of course, I fully expect us to be an 8 seed to bubble team. People will decry the loss of Golden and wonder, like last year, how we were supposed to recover from the loss of one of our key players.

That's ridiculous, even with Golden.

I just don't believe it's fair to think martin should get a decent replacement if he just became aware of this.

Fair enough.

However, he's got two top 150 guards. He needs to develop one of them.

He's a scorer that needs to be a slasher and needs to build confidence that way. I agree get your best 5 out but putting him in that situation will be difficult. He's never played the 1.

You want to play those 5 then you have McRae play PG, not the freshman who's never played the position in his life. McRae started at PG for us a few games last year, and played there as traes backup a few times. No it wasn't pretty, but at least he has the experience. Also, McRae was told by NBA scouts his handle needs work, hopefully he's been working on it.

Answers?

Steven Pearl ‏@StevenPearl22 1m
New information has just come to my attn regarding Coach Martin & Trae Golden, will discuss w/ @ErikAinge3 tomorrow morning

You want to play those 5 then you have McRae play PG, not the freshman who's never played the position in his life. McRae started at PG for us a few games last year, and played there as traes backup a few times. No it wasn't pretty, but at least he has the experience. Also, McRae was told by NBA scouts his handle needs work, hopefully he's been working on it.

This actually makes a lot of sense.

I just don't believe it's fair to think martin should get a decent replacement if he just became aware of this. Now if he had known for a long time this was possible that's another story

I don't think this thing entirely snuck up on the staff though from what I have gathered briefly this morning, so in light of that, I would tend to think they would have already reached out to Mathieu in particular if they wanted to try and go in that direction.*

-VQ

VN Store

Back