Another Priest Bites the Dust

There are way too many Christians who are only interested in their own salvation. It's blatant selfishness and hypocrisy.

It is interesting. I don't really mind that they are. At the end of the day they are responsible for their own lives. It does seem that people cherry pick verses from the New Testament to justify how they have punched their ticket to Heaven. If they go to a church that says they aren't, then they tend to move on to a church that does.

It is interesting. I don't really mind that they are. At the end of the day they are responsible for their own lives. It does seem that people cherry pick verses from the New Testament to justify how they have punched their ticket to Heaven. If they go to a church that says they aren't, then they tend to move on to a church that does.

Not sure why, but it rubs me the wrong way.

It might be because a large chunk of the human population is comprised of these types.

That's great. Being wealthy doesn't mean you are greedy. It's harder for a rich man to enter heaven because they have more stuff to give up, thus making the decision to chose Christ harder for some such as the guy in that story who doesn't want to follow Jesus. Hence the ending line by Jesus "with God, anything is possible"

Wow, I've met some Catholics who don't understand dick about scripture... but dude, you're practically rewriting the Bible.

Do other Catholics a huge favor and cease posting in this thread.

Pretty amazing isn't it, DF?

It's like the KJV and the new and improved VNSF version.

The VN bible scholars need to tell the pope he doesnt know what he is talking about

God's love stronger than the attraction of wealth, Pope says :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

“He was a person who from his youth faithfully observed all the commandments of God's law, but had not yet found true happiness, and for this he asks Jesus how to ‘inherit life eternal,’” said the Pope.

“On the one hand he is attracted, like everyone else, to the fullness of life; and on the other, being accustomed to rely on their own wealth, he thinks that eternal life can be in somehow ‘bought’” by following the forms of God’s law.

Yet the rich young man turned down Christ’s invitation to give all that he had and give it to the poor and come follow Jesus to store up riches in heaven.

“Instead of joyfully welcoming Jesus’ invitation, he goes away grieved because he cannot be detached from his wealth,” the Holy Father said. This attachment “will never give him happiness and eternal life.”

The Pope said that wealth should pose no barrier to salvation, the caveat being doing so with God’s help.

Citing the Gospel reading, the Pope noted Christ’s warning: “It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

This statement shocked Christ’s disciples, the Pope noted, reminding the assembly in St. Peter’s Square of Christ’s follow-up: “This is impossible for men but not for God; everything is possible with God.”

“The parable teaches that the rich should not neglect their salvation as if they were convicted, nor should they jettison wealth nor condemn it as insidious and hostile to life, but they must learn how to use wealth and obtain the life.”

Because the pope wrote the Bible and his word is respected by non-Catholics everywhere.

No, the pope doesn't know what his self-righteous ass is talking about.

Reading scripture is not worship.

Unless by "scripture isn't a part of their worship" you are asserting that they do not worship scripture (i.e., worship paper and ink and mere words), then your point is simply ignorant and your retort is aimed solely at saving face.

The Mass is the worship service for Catholics. And, scripture is very involved in the Mass. Thus, scripture is a part of Catholic worship.

Unless by "scripture isn't a part of their worship" you are asserting that they do not worship scripture (i.e., worship paper and ink and mere words), then your point is simply ignorant and your retort is aimed solely at saving face.

The Mass is the worship service for Catholics. And, scripture is very involved in the Mass. Thus, scripture is a part of Catholic worship.

Mass is unscriptural tradition. Adding scripture to an unscriptural practice does not validate it.

My primary point is, walk into a non-mega church Baptist service for example, everyone is reading scripture and making application because scripture is the authority.

Catholics do not view scripture as the authority. Reading some verses is more tradition than worship.

Mass is unscriptural tradition. Adding scripture to an unscriptural practice does not validate it.

My primary point is, walk into a non-mega church Baptist service for example, everyone is reading scripture and making application because scripture is the authority.

Catholics do not view scripture as the authority. Reading some verses is more tradition than worship.

According to Catholic tradition and history, Catholics have been meeting since the time of Peter, retelling accounts of Jesus and his works, reading Jewish scripture, and celebrating the Eucharist. Now, you can certainly question the historical account; however, you cannot intelligibly say that Catholic Mass is not worship and that Catholic Mass does not include scripture. Therefore, Catholic worship includes scripture.

Your statement was fully ignorant.

Reactions: 1 person
According to Catholic tradition and history, Catholics have been meeting since the time of Peter, retelling accounts of Jesus and his works, reading Jewish scripture, and celebrating the Eucharist. Now, you can certainly question the historical account; however, you cannot intelligibly say that Catholic Mass is not worship and that Catholic Mass does not include scripture. Therefore, Catholic worship includes scripture.

Your statement was fully ignorant.

I don't consider reading a scripture as worship. I consider reading a scripture, trying to understand it, and making personal application as worship. Scripture is how God communicates with persons individually. Letting scripture influence thinking and conduct is worship imo.

Simply hearing someone else read a scripture is not worship, imo, in any setting.

Unless my religious studies classes were actually worship.

I don't consider reading a scripture as worship. I consider reading a scripture, trying to understand it, and making personal application as worship. Scripture is how God communicates with persons individually. Letting scripture influence thinking and conduct is worship imo.

Simply hearing someone else read a scripture is not worship, imo, in any setting.

Unless my religious studies classes were actually worship.

I mean, what exactly do you think happens at churches every Sunday?

You've almost got to be trolling at this point.

Do you think Catholics are just reading these texts for ****s and giggles during Mass?

Keep trying to save face, though. Scripture is absolutely involved in Catholic worship.

Reactions: 2 people
Do you think Catholics are just reading these texts for ****s and giggles during Mass?

Keep trying to save face, though. Scripture is absolutely involved in Catholic worship.

Seriously. Like I'm at a loss considering his latest attempt. He pretty much described a worship service.

Seriously. Like I'm at a loss considering his latest attempt. He pretty much described a worship service.

An attack on the Catholic Church by a Protestant who actually understands the Catholic Church is a rare thing. And, I say this as someone who has plenty of gripes and complaints regarding the Catholic Church.

VN Store

Back