Am I missing something?

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
31st ranked class (rivals)? Ole Miss out recruiting us along with Vandy and the usual suspects? Fulmers worst class was in the 30's.

How are we supposed to get back to at least competing without the players to do it?

Auburn just had a coaching change and a worse season that we did but they are of course out recruiting us buy a mile. So is West Virginia and OK State. What am I missing?

If we can't do better than this then we are in trouble.
Hello Kentucky part II.

What is going on? Is there a realistic chance that we get a bunch of good news on the 6th (or 7th)?

Reactions: 4 people
You may have overlooked the coaching change that happened a month or so ago, and the three straight losing seasons (and 4 in 5 years).

Need to level set your expectations.

But the class will finish in the top 20 regardless. Check back on NSD. You will see.

Reactions: 2 people
But it doesn't seem to be for Auburn, they currently have the 16th ranked class, an order of magnitude better than ours with that doofus Gus Malzahn.

National championship within the last three years is a little easier rebuilding job to sell IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Ummm could it be that kids just don't want to play here? You'd think with the new facilities they would flock here but no. The problem is winning. If ya win they will come. No fancy stadium or facility is gonna attract kids tics losing program.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't give up hope just yet on this year's recruiting class. While we've lost commits that bolted when Dooley left, there are still some big fish out there that CBJ could reel in. CBJ is playing catch up, and recruiting is based alot on relationships that are built over 1+ year. However, Tennessee historically has finished well on NSD.

Also, keep in mind that the difference in recruiting ranks right now in the lower rungs is:

(1) A function of how many a school has (we don't have but 18 right now), so the ranking will go up if we fill out our class... even if they're all 3*; and

(2) One single 5* or a couple 4*s similarly makes a huge difference in the lower rungs. We would jump 10-15 spots up if we land only one 5*

Keep the faith. CBJ fielded a pretty good *team* with marginal talent. In contrast, CDD fielded a crappy team with lots of 4* talent.

ZgR8A.jpg

Last edited:
But it doesn't seem to be for Auburn, they currently have the 16th ranked class, an order of magnitude better than ours with that doofus Gus Malzahn.

The Barn has been more successful more recently than we have. Add to it the fact that Dooley was not your prototypical Players Coach. A lot of no good for a period of time is hard to turn around in short period...we will get there however

National championship within the last three years is a little easier rebuilding job to sell IMO.

I don't think that is it. Most people know that their NC was a legitimate fluke. I fear something else is going on. I don't know what but I do know that unless we start to get top 10 classes we are not going to be competing for championships. This league is too strong to win without exceptional players. "Good" players are not going to cut it.

The Barn has been more successful more recently than we have. Add to it the fact that Dooley was not your prototypical Players Coach. A lot of no good for a period of time is hard to turn around in short period...we will get there however

I hope you are right. Sooner rather than later. I just don't see this thing going anywhere right now. Again, look at the rest of the conference. Even Vandy for goodness sake. The only program that we can really say we are better than right now is freaking Kentucky.
Missouri won their forst ever meeting ...at Neyland...and their class is right behind ours.
The future in NOW!

Look there is no excitement surrounding this program you have to win with less if you want more. That is how Vandy is building a program. If Tennessee stops scheduling to worst schedules then they could possibly get the players we need. The guys want to win and rightfully so they aren't use to loosing. I have came to the conclusion that Tennessee is focused on being an academic powerhouse a goal they won't reach honestly. Hey the 90's are gone let accept what who we are and we will be a lot happier

I'm starting to think Hart pooped the bed at the thought of boosters taking control of the search when Strong changed his mind. Whatever CBJ does or does not do to ressurect this program to a legitimate contender, the proverbial blood is is on Hart's hands. Let's hope for an atypical batch of signing day surprises so we at least have a chance to make it through the spring and summer with some semblance of unity around here.

Look there is no excitement surrounding this program you have to win with less if you want more. That is how Vandy is building a program. If Tennessee stops scheduling to worst schedules then they could possibly get the players we need. The guys want to win and rightfully so they aren't use to loosing. I have came to the conclusion that Tennessee is focused on being an academic powerhouse a goal they won't reach honestly. Hey the 90's are gone let accept what who we are and we will be a lot happier

As pessimistic as my OP sounds I refuse to accept we are the new Kentucky. The state and the University have too much vested in the success of the football program to simply throw up their hands and say "oh well, we had a pretty good run for 120 years". If Jones is not the guy the Admin must have their sights on a can't miss guy and when the time is right get him.

We can't just accept that we will stink from now on. Although things certainly don't look good now we have to hope and assume they will get better. If Ole Miss can do it than so can we. Lets really hope Jones is the guy.

You may have overlooked the coaching change that happened a month or so ago, and the three straight losing seasons (and 4 in 5 years).

Need to level set your expectations.

But the class will finish in the top 20 regardless. Check back on NSD. You will see.

I really, really hope you are right and we out recruit the likes of Vandy and Ole freaking Miss. Good grief this is insane.

You are sure missing the most important point. Reality that this program is dead and going to be a long road back. We all know we got to have a miracle coach to win with much less than the competition and start turning it around in recruiting. I for one expect nothing this year. Six wins would be a nice start.

You are sure missing the most important point. Reality that this program is dead and going to be a long road back. We all know we got to have a miracle coach to win with much less than the competition and start turning it around in recruiting. I for one expect nothing this year. Six wins would be a nice start.
Even though it's water under the bridge, a lot of us are not going to be able to forget and forgive the failure of the UTAD to hire someone who could come in here and draw the elite prospects that we need on starpower alone. If you're going to spend millions to oust Dooley and his staff and millions more to hire CBJ and his guys why not just add a few more million on top and make someone an offer that they really couldn't refuse? I can almost guarantee that we will wind up spending the money it would've taken to make a splash hire on the backend when we're paying CBJ's buyout in 3-4 years. If even 10% of UT fans feel the way I do, it's a huge probelm for the UTAD. They really just need to close out strong and give us something to rally around.

Reactions: 6 people
The problem is expecting to get back to NC soon...the expectation should be to get back to competing because a NC is in the distant future not the immediate future. It will take time to get SEC competitive again but we will get there in time...but this expectation of immediate results of prominence is not going to happen, IMO.

We have talented players, not all 5* rankings, and you dont have to have all or most 5* rankings to be competitive. IIRC, A&M did pretty well with an unranked or not highly ranked walk on QB this year. Lets see if CBJ can take the great players that we have and make something good happen before we start talking about replacing him with an elite name. The man has been here a very short period of time...give him and these players a chance. I understand the frustration but being defeatist so early in the game will only lead you to greater frustration down the road.

Maybe kids don't want to come to Tennessee because our fans have a reputation of turning on you if you have a bad game.

31st ranked class (rivals)? Ole Miss out recruiting us along with Vandy and the usual suspects? Fulmers worst class was in the 30's.

How are we supposed to get back to at least competing without the players to do it?

Auburn just had a coaching change and a worse season that we did but they are of course out recruiting us buy a mile. So is West Virginia and OK State. What am I missing?

Hello Kentucky part II.

What is going on? Is there a realistic chance that we get a bunch of good news on the 6th (or 7th)?

As you can see your going to hear some really good excuses. Personally, I'm sick of them just like you are. Bottom line is....this staff seems to have trouble closing the deal. I'm not in panic mode yet but there is definite cause for concern. Saying anything else is just pumping sunshine.

Great post!
The defeatist attitude is also counterproductive. When these players read our threads.... Which we know they do, that kind of talk can drive them away. No one wants to be with that girl at the party who talks about hating her job her life, can't get a break etc..... No matter how hot she is.
We need to put our best foot forward at all times...let the pride and passion of the big orange nation sell us. Let our pride and love of the vols excite and inspire new recruits to want to be a part of it!

Hello Kentucky part II.

Maybe UT just isn't what you think it is right now..... . . simple as that.

Closing the deal on who? The prospects that didnt even have a door open until a month ago. Be realistic here, we are in with some kids that it was never gonna happen with prior to this staff for whatever reason. Will CBJ be a success here, who knows but to condemn them for not being able to close a door that was just cracked open with the chain lock on, is ridiculous. Whenever there is a coaching change there is always some who decommit and some who will be approachable now, it's part of the process. Just as cultivating a relationship for a while (1+ year) before kids are committing is part of it. Expecting CBJ or anyone else to come in here in a month and bring in a top 5 class is unrealistic. I think we finish better than it looks right now but I am not expecting a top 10 class and I will be happy with what we get.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back