Greatest Plays in Tennessee Football History

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I thought it would be interesting to put together a list of what VolNation considers the greatest plays, individual performances, and games of the modern era (which I consider to be 80s - present). That definition probably depends on your age. I'll try to update this first post as we get new entries. How many do you think we can come up with? I'll start with an easy one.

1982 Alabama Broke the streak.
1982 Ga Tech Fuad Reviez 60 yard FG
1985 Bama Dale Jones INT of Shula
1985 UCLA 3 interceptinons Chris White
1986 Sugar Bowl Jeff Powell run
1987 Iowa Kickoff Classic Darrin Miller TD
1989 Mississippi Chuck Webb 294 yards rushing
1990 Florida Dale Carter Kickoff return TD
1991 Notre Dame Andy Kelly to Aaron Hayden TD
1991 Notre Dame Floyd Miley Block FG TD
1992 Georgia Heath Shuler 4th and 17
1992 South Carolina Mose Phillips TD run
1995 Bama Manning to Kent TD
1996 Bama Graham TD run
1996 Georgia Manning failed QB sneak to TD
1997 Kentucky Manning 523 passing yards
1998 Arkansas Clint Stoerner Fumble
1998 Arkansas Travis Henry on final drive
1998 Florida Deon Grant INT
1998 FSU Fiesta Bowl Dewayne Goodrich INT
1998 FSU Peerless Price catch
1998 South Carolina Tee Martin 96% completion
2001 Florida Travis Stephens performance
2001 Georgia Travis Stephens TD reception
2001 LSU K. Washington 256 receiving yards
2003 Alabama 4th down conversion in OT
2003 Alabama 5OT game
2003 Miami Tinsley TD before the half
2004 Florida Last second FG
2004 Georgia win #3 Dawgs in Athens
2005 LSU overcoming 21-0 deficit

Game- Overcoming a 21-0 defecit to defeat LSU in Death Valley. That season was a debacle, but that game was amazing.

yeah i think i have that 2, i think its called the best of the big orange i think ive been watchin it the past week

play-this play pretty much saved us from losing to florida, sent it to overtime and eventually helped us win the game. this may be one of the best plays ive ever seen
utuf98deon.jpg

Travis Stephens' performance against Florida the year he should have won the Doak Walker award.

Travis Henry's drive after the fumble...he was a beast on that drive.

Goodrich pick-six in the national title game.

Opening play of the '95 Bama game.

Peyton Manning failed QB sneak turned into rollout TD pass against Georgia.

that interception is one my favorite memories for sure!! I am referring to the Deon Grant UF pick.

speakin of travis stephens ill always remember that screen pass he took to the house against georgia. the stadium went crazy i remember seein stadium seats flyin in the lower deck those were the highest of times and the lowest of times to

Manning to JK in 95. Started the beginning of the end of the bama streak.

Last series vs Ark in 98. Henry and the OL just wouldn't be denied.

Dale Carter taking the 2nd half kickoff to the house vs UF to start a beating.

Even though they lost the game, Mose Phillip's TD run against South Carolina in 92 (I think) - broke about 9 tackles - greatest run by a UT player I've ever seen.

Jeff Powell's TD run in the 86 Sugar Bowl.

Good call . . . That one gets overlooked a lot.

Others that get overlooked that I can think of include:

* Floyd Miley's blocked FG and run back that started the comeback against ND in 1991 just before the half.

* Screen pass from Andy Kelly to Aaron Hayden to complete the comeback against ND in 1991.

* Dale Carter's kickoff return to open the 2nd half against Florida in 1990.

Not really an all time great play . . . but a young Heath Shuler's 4th and 17 conversion against UGA on the game winning drive in 1992 was about as good as it gets.

For real obscure plays . . . How about Darrin Miller knifing through and intercepting a toss sweep and taking it 96 yards against Iowa for a TD in the 1987 Kickoff Classic?

2003 vs Miami on the last play before the half Randy Sanders makes the greatest play call of his life and runs an inside handoff to Derrick Tinsley from the slot for a TD and the lead.

Not really an all time great play . . . but a young Heath Shuler's 4th and 17 conversion against UGA on the game winning drive in 1992 was about as good as it gets.

Casey's 4th down conversion to Chris Hannon against Bama was another good one. I forget the year.

VN Store

Back