Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black and grey were part of our colors when everyone wore black and grey in the early 1900s. That doesn't make them traditional.

I dont deny that. But my point was Black has been part of our colors and looks great with Orange and White. I love the checkerboards on the helmets. Very subtle and all the blue hairs cant ***** because its not part of our colors. Gotta keep up with the times and subtle changes are good.

Everyone had black uni's before 1921. Tennessee school colors have always been Orange and White. Please find me one quote that black was ever one of Tennessee's school colors. Yes we had black uni's and so did every other team in the nation. In 21' teams started using their school colors in their uni's. Now go back and do you're homework.

Just because we had black uni's previous to 1921 does not make black a school color. Is that so hard to understand?

So our baseball team wearing black makes it an incorrect color? The basketball team has had some black in it and alot of the warmups, jackets, hats, sweatshirts, hoodies have all 3 colors tied in. Most teams have a 3rd color tied into them and ours is black. I love all 3 colors together and it helps bring out the orange even more.. Black is obviously part of our colors or other sports wouldnt incorporate it into the uniforms.

What exactly is it your trying to show? All schools have a 3rd color that is associated with them. Apparently you have never watched any other UT sports beside football or ever been out and bought any Adidas sideline gear. Guess 3 colors you always find by the team that is our official supplier. How about Lady Vols basketball and the light blue that is associated with them? Will hang up and listen, this should be good.

What exactly is it your trying to show? All schools have a 3rd color that is associated with them. Apparently you have never watched any other UT sports beside football or ever been out and bought any Adidas sideline gear. Guess 3 colors you always find by the team that is our official supplier. How about Lady Vols basketball and the light blue that is associated with them? Will hang up and listen, this should be good.

All I was stating to begin with was our traditional school colors are Orange and white.

As for the other uniforms I don't like the added colors. It's as simple as that.

Subtle stylistic change has been part of Tennessee tradition. The strident advocates of black-on-black or black and white, with orange relegated to little more than an accent color, are advocating nothing less than a radical makeover.

I am a cultural anthropologist by training and my research focuses heavily on the role of style in material culture (yes, that includes clothing) as an expression of identity. You may not want to take my word for it, no matter how much academic research I cite as supporting documentation, but Butch Jones has said that you can walk into any high school in the country, clad in Tennessee regalia, and they know instantaneously who you represent. That is a profoundly strong, and accurate, example of the functional role of stylistic marker traits as an unequivocal expression of group identity. Personal experience further corroborates his position. On a return trip from Montana, I walked into the airport in Kalispell and a baggage handler spotted my Tennessee orange fleece jacket. Without my saying a word, he stated "you guys are a long way from home."

Few universities in the country have a more distinct color scheme than Tennessee. Make no mistake about it, radical change will, over time, weaken that association, both in terms of public perception and, more importantly, the Big Orange Nation. Frankly, I don't believe the strident advocates of black-on-black when they say that they are only advocating it for occasional usage. Oregon needed a gimmick, we don't. Oregon had no significant history of sustained success in football prior to the last decade or so. Therefore, a host of uniform combinations, ones that pushed the proverbial fashion envelope in college regalia, became a branding mechanism, one that set them apart as different before their onfield success really began to take root.

Reactions: 4 people
Everyone had black uni's before 1921. Tennessee school colors have always been Orange and White. Please find me one quote that black was ever one of Tennessee's school colors. Yes we had black uni's and so did every other team in the nation. In 21' teams started using their school colors in their uni's. Now go back and do you're homework.

Just because we had black uni's previous to 1921 does not make black a school color. Is that so hard to understand?

Hey man, no need to get so hostile about it all. All I wanted to show was the actual history. Yes, the school colors are Orange and White. I don't disagree with that. Many schools have two primary colors and will, on occasion, mix in a tertiary color. I highly doubt that your statement "every other team in the nation" wore black jerseys before 1921, because it doesn't even hold true for UT. Weren't our first jerseys actually white? As others have pointed out, even other teams at UT wear jerseys that mix in other colors. The baseball team has worn black, the lady vols have baby blue trim. Yes, noone is debating that Orange and White are UT's colors, and I doubt anyone would debate that even if we came out in solid black uniforms next season.

I dont deny that. But my point was Black has been part of our colors and looks great with Orange and White. I love the checkerboards on the helmets. Very subtle and all the blue hairs cant ***** because its not part of our colors. Gotta keep up with the times and subtle changes are good.

Black has been part of everyone's colors. If you want to argue for something new go for it. But to act like it is a part of our real tradition is stupid.

And it looks terrible. Halloween crap is not cool.

Hey man, no need to get so hostile about it all. All I wanted to show was the actual history. Yes, the school colors are Orange and White. I don't disagree with that. Many schools have two primary colors and will, on occasion, mix in a tertiary color. I highly doubt that your statement "every other team in the nation" wore black jerseys before 1921, because it doesn't even hold true for UT. Weren't our first jerseys actually white? As others have pointed out, even other teams at UT wear jerseys that mix in other colors. The baseball team has worn black, the lady vols have baby blue trim. Yes, noone is debating that Orange and White are UT's colors, and I doubt anyone would debate that even if we came out in solid black uniforms next season.

Most if not all teams wore black back then. It was 21' when they first wore the orange jerseys.

go to the 09:35 mark... watch it for at least a min.

100 Years of Volunteers 1

100 Years of Volunteers 1 - YouTube

Black has been part of everyone's colors. If you want to argue for something new go for it. But to act like it is a part of our real tradition is stupid.

And it looks terrible. Halloween crap is not cool.

Well thats just your opinion. Fans and players like the black. If not Adidas wouldnt have so much sideline and other fan gear in black. All I can say is if you dont like it then its a great country and you dont have to wear or buy it. Simple as that. There is not many options for a neutral 3rd color that goes with Orange and White. Black looks great and is by far, IMO the best looking option.

Reactions: 1 person
I was trying to find this in an earlier post---which is not a color--black or white?

Black is the absence of color (and is therefore not a color)

White is the blending of all colors and is a color.

Fact: The sum of all the colors of light add up to white. This is additive color theory.

Black is the absence of color (and is therefore not a color)

White is the blending of all colors and is a color.

Fact: The sum of all the colors of light add up to white. This is additive color theory.

My little girls crayons disagree.
Most of her pictures, when using all of
the colors in the box END UP A BROWNISH GREEN COLOR.
Thats my observing 2year old coloring theory. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Most if not all teams wore black back then. It was 21' when they first wore the orange jerseys.

go to the 09:35 mark... watch it for at least a min.

100 Years of Volunteers 1

100 Years of Volunteers 1 - YouTube

If you look at the black jerseys between 1911 and 1920ish they had orange trim on them somewhere, so it isn't like orange didn't exist as a pigment and that black was the only possible jersey combination available. Before that time, we wore different colors besides black, like an all white jersey in the late 1890's.

My point being, and I am not even advocating any sort of uniform change, is that UT has always been Orange and White as the official school colors but have chosen to wear other colors, even in football. Just because other teams chose to wear black prior to 1921, doesn't mean that it was the ONLY choice and thus should be discounted as irrelevant. That isn't even a true statement as proven by our white jerseys that we wore before the black jerseys and different sorts of orange trim on the black jerseys.

I guess I don't really understand your point. If your opinion is simply that UT shouldn't change from wearing all orange and white, that is certainly a valid opinion. If you are trying to argue away a precedent that was set going back to before 1921, your point isn't as strong.

If you look at the black jerseys between 1911 and 1920ish they had orange trim on them somewhere, so it isn't like orange didn't exist as a pigment and that black was the only possible jersey combination available. Before that time, we wore different colors besides black, like an all white jersey in the late 1890's.

My point being, and I am not even advocating any sort of uniform change, is that UT has always been Orange and White as the official school colors but have chosen to wear other colors, even in football. Just because other teams chose to wear black prior to 1921, doesn't mean that it was the ONLY choice and thus should be discounted as irrelevant. That isn't even a true statement as proven by our white jerseys that we wore before the black jerseys and different sorts of orange trim on the black jerseys.

I guess I don't really understand your point. If your opinion is simply that UT shouldn't change from wearing all orange and white, that is certainly a valid opinion. If you are trying to argue away a precedent that was set going back to before 1921, your point isn't as strong.

Sorry you lost me after the word Thus.

I think we should do a different combo of unis myself. You know not as many as Oregon but it has to feel good as a player and fan to know that you got a new uniform the week of a big game to wear. It's got to hype you up as a player

Wow this thread really took a turn, people have just been curious to see this color or that color, or this pattern or design, etc....but some people are getting way to offended about it all. None of us work for UT and aren't in the football dept. debating about any of the designs that I or anyone else has made and posted on here. So relax people, it isn't like CBJ is gonna come on here and look through this thread and pick the black unis or anything like that. It's just fans talking amongst themselves about "what ifs".

Ok, again, let's get rid of the checkerboards, or the open T, or the Vol Walk, etc. Those things weren't there when we wore black, so they can be tossed aside, too, right?

So by wearing alternative uniforms for one game a year we are getting rid of all traditions?

Reactions: 1 person
So by wearing alternative uniforms for one game a year we are getting rid of all traditions?

According to some, that does to seem to be how they look at it. We were something new and different for one game and they act like we went and took a deuce on Neyland's grave.

I think we should do a different combo of unis myself. You know not as many as Oregon but it has to feel good as a player and fan to know that you got a new uniform the week of a big game to wear. It's got to hype you up as a player

I don't know that "It's got to hype you up as a player." Who's to say that putting on the same jersey that you watched since you were old enough to recall watching football at all and recollecting the the many traditions and pride of generations is not what hypes you up?

That said, I don't mind at all if they changed the uniforms. But, I son't care for those teams that wear several different looks a year. It just seems silly.

Any idea what it cost to outfit the team in a complete uniform including helmet? I'd guess $75K or so.

Wow this thread really took a turn, people have just been curious to see this color or that color, or this pattern or design, etc....but some people are getting way to offended about it all. None of us work for UT and aren't in the football dept. debating about any of the designs that I or anyone else has made and posted on here. So relax people, it isn't like CBJ is gonna come on here and look through this thread and pick the black unis or anything like that. It's just fans talking amongst themselves about "what ifs".

Its a messageboard, thats why these discussions happen. Actually some on here do work in the football and AD department. Nothing wrong with fans voicing their opinions on uniforms.

According to some, that does to seem to be how they look at it. We were something new and different for one game and they act like we went and took a deuce on Neyland's grave.

People come to the games and expect to see certain things. You never know who is the stands. It may be a child who is seeing his first game ever, and possibly his only game. It could be a terminally ill person. Who knows? But why ruin the experience of them seeing what Tennessee REALLY is just because we can? Not everyone is fortunate enough to see the Vols enough to get bored with the image.

Subtle stylistic change has been part of Tennessee tradition. The strident advocates of black-on-black or black and white, with orange relegated to little more than an accent color, are advocating nothing less than a radical makeover.

I am a cultural anthropologist by training and my research focuses heavily on the role of style in material culture (yes, that includes clothing) as an expression of identity. You may not want to take my word for it, no matter how much academic research I cite as supporting documentation, but Butch Jones has said that you can walk into any high school in the country, clad in Tennessee regalia, and they know instantaneously who you represent. That is a profoundly strong, and accurate, example of the functional role of stylistic marker traits as an unequivocal expression of group identity. Personal experience further corroborates his position. On a return trip from Montana, I walked into the airport in Kalispell and a baggage handler spotted my Tennessee orange fleece jacket. Without my saying a word, he stated "you guys are a long way from home."

Few universities in the country have a more distinct color scheme than Tennessee. Make no mistake about it, radical change will, over time, weaken that association, both in terms of public perception and, more importantly, the Big Orange Nation. Frankly, I don't believe the strident advocates of black-on-black when they say that they are only advocating it for occasional usage. Oregon needed a gimmick, we don't. Oregon had no significant history of sustained success in football prior to the last decade or so. Therefore, a host of uniform combinations, ones that pushed the proverbial fashion envelope in college regalia, became a branding mechanism, one that set them apart as different before their onfield success really began to take root.

Strong post is strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back