Jones Staff

If Hubbs is right, I am not seeing how this is the best staff in the country.

I totally understand how he wants to bring SOME of his staff with him. That being said, it needs to be SOME of the staff. The stuff I have seen posted around indicates only 2-3 assistants from outside his UC staff. That hardly seems like the "best staff in the country".

We really need to get a top DC like Shannon or Zook. Tee Martin is a former Vol and has done great at recruiting everywhere he has been so far - he would be a great addition to the staff as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry but It's NOT going to be the "best staff in the nation", because the best assistants (Or SEC caliber) don't coach "THE SPREAD". The defensive coaches who are the "best assistants" aren't going to come coach under Butch Jones until he proves his-self. The staff he assembles is just going to have to be the best staff In the Nation……that coaches HIS system, and they'll just have to do the best THEY can do, and "give their all for Tennessee"

Sorry but It's NOT going to be the "best staff in the nation", because the best assistants (Or SEC caliber) don't coach "THE SPREAD". The defensive coaches who are the "best assistants" aren't going to come coach under Butch Jones until he proves his-self. The staff he assembles is just going to have to be the best staff In the Nation……that coaches HIS system, and they'll just have to do the best THEY can do, and "give their all for Tennessee"

I'm comfortable with him bringing Bajakian, possible O-Line coach.

Just not excited about the defensive guys he's bringing and YES I know UCs defensive stats and YES I know Jancek was at UGa. for those that will bring that up

I don't have a problem if he wanted his people but don't say "best staff in America" if your not really going to go do it. He implied big names with proven success.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't have a problem if he wanted his people but don't say "best staff in America" if your not really going to go do it. He implied big names with proven success.

This.

All he would have to say is that I will be bringing some of my assistants with me - they are proven winners. They will be supplemented with high-caliber coaches with strong recruiting background. He did not have to say "best staff in america". Set himself up for criticism and that is on him and no one else.

The best staff in the country for UT is made up of people Butch Jones can communicate and coexist with to get the job done whether we have heard of them (or approve of them) or not.

Jones has said at least 5 times it'll be a pro style offense. Just up tempo....just sayin

You can paint a turd and change its name but it's still… a… turd.
Look at what he's run in the past, he uses the zone read style spread offense, and that crap just cost Army a victory today (and will cost us BIG against disciplined defenses). He will stick with what he and his OC knows and feels comfortable recruiting for…… and that's the spread.
Unless he changes his philosophy and goes traditional PRO style, pass first offense I'm afraid it going to be a looong tenure for Coach Jones.

Sorry if this comes off too harsh, I'm just passionate about OUR VOLS

The best staff in the country for UT is made up of people Butch Jones can communicate and coexist with to get the job done whether we have heard of them (or approve of them) or not.

OMG really.

I can't believe you just said that. I posted earlier that that is the way that some Vol fans think. The old "if they are on his staff they must be the best in the country theory" which presumes that BJ is the best coach in the country.
I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sale you.

Well I will I must give you props for having the where-with-all to state your opinion without reservation.

Reactions: 1 person

Do some people not listen? He isnt running the Spread, those are his words.

It is the zone read spread. That is correct. That is not what Army runs. They run a modern version of the wishbone, flex bone. The a version of the zone read spread is the primary offense run by most of the SEC not named Bama, LSU or Georgia. It can be designed for run first or pass first. Most major programs go pass first other than Oregon, which is a unique version of the sprint draw offense using zone read features. Nearly all of the position coaches in America know the offense.

Most coaches (including Jones) running the zone read run multiple sets including pro sets and straight passing spreads. I've watched probably 10 Cincy games over the past 6 years as well as watching Central Michigan before that with both Kelly and Jones. This is the most modern basic offensive scheme going. It's advantage is that it can neutralize the strengths of the front 7 of better D's by using misdirection, counters, draws as well as masking plays with formations and motion.

Do some people not listen? He isnt running the Spread, those are his words.

I listen just fine but my eyes work too and what he ran at Cincinnati was the zone read option based spread. If he wasn't going to run that offense he wouldn't have brought HIS offensive coordinator. He will run what he knows and that's the Spread.

I listen just fine but my eyes work too and what he ran at Cincinnati was the zone read option based spread. If he wasn't going to run that offense he wouldn't have brought HIS offensive coordinator. He will run what he knows and that's the Spread.

Ever stop to think he might know more than just the spread? He might have been running what worked best with the personnel he had the time.

This early in the process I will give Jones the benefit of the doubt that he realizes just how critical recruiting at the highest levels is to competing at the top of the SEC. I just hope he is not overestimating the recruiting prowess of his Cinnci staff when they are forced to go head to head with SEC recruiters. I know it's Cinnci but it doesn't appear they had much success in these head to head battles nor were they able to close on any high profile recruits. Maybe they will turn out to be excellent recruiters given the chance to recruit to UT.

Vols4us:
I appreciate how well versed you are but I was referring to the last play by Army. The QB and RB had miscommunication on the zone read and both thought the other had the ball causing the fumble. Alabama, Georgia, Lsu, & Florida are the ones I'm the most concerned about beating. The zone read and the spread option are vulnerable to Disciplined defenses, and those are the MOST disciplined of the bunch. If this staff can't recruit and get the studs you need to run that Offense effectively and have a dominate defense then we're screwed.

Thanks for the post!

Defensively is was the right call to fire everyone, but this guy that he is bringing with him i think he would be better suited as a posistion coach as well as martinez, if the rumor is true. If i were jones i would try to talk to randy shannon as the DC id say he would love for a DC posistion and be pretty good to just saying but from all indication i don't think this is going to be the best staff in America after hereing who is hiring so far. The only good call was keeping Graham, a bad call was getting rid of pittman.

Ever stop to think he might know more than just the spread? He might have been running what worked best with the personnel he had the time.

I understand that may not be all the tools in his box, but he did recruit the same kind of personnel that Brian Kelly recruited before, and he ran the same kind offense as Kelly.
I just don't believe that this type offense is built to work consistently year after year in the SEC without STUDS (just ask Auburn).

I appreciate the discussions guys (can't always do that without someone calling the other person names around here), it's been cool but I gotsta get some sleep, night!

Last edited:
Defensively is was the right call to fire everyone, but this guy that he is bringing with him i think he would be better suited as a posistion coach as well as martinez, if the rumor is true. If i were jones i would try to talk to randy shannon as the DC id say he would love for a DC posistion and be pretty good to just saying but from all indication i don't think this is going to be the best staff in America after hereing who is hiring so far. The only good call was keeping Graham, a bad call was getting rid of pittman.

Lot of Zone blocking (which I've always been a fan of) If Pittman stayed to coach zone blocking scheme it could be a disaster. Zone blocking can work and be amazing, but if it isn't coached right it can be a disaster.

This isn't the big east and his dc was fired from georgia!

Go look where Chip Kelly came from...NEW HAMPSHIRE. And i think we can say he has done a pretty good job so saying this isn't the big east means nothing. And he was also thought of enough to be hired by Georgia, looking at his defense at cincy they were pretty good.

VN Store

Back