Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither example is comparable to Charlie Strong.
Fulmer won multiple games as an interim coach, and Majors was pushed out specifically to put Fulmer in.

Jimbo Fisher had already been named coach-in-waiting for whenever Bowden retired. They ended up rushing his retirement.

Zook was fired for what UF decided was opoor performance, and Strong went 0-1 as the interim coach. It's illogical to say that they should have promoted someone off of the fired coach's staff instead of bringing in Urban Meyer after he went 13-0 at Utah. Also, Urban then retained Strong.

Florida has hired Strong three different times. That's not being "passed over."

And, Strong has only been at UofL one season when Urban left.

If we hire Strong, and he thinks UF passed him over, and that puts a chip on his shoulder, then great, but that's not how I see it.

Uhm....ok then.

Thanks.

I am starting to believe that Hart and Co. blew the deal with Gruden based upon the assistant salary issue!!!

Unless Hart and Co. pull a Gruden out of their pocket, I do not believe that I will ever be able to look at them with anything but contempt!!!

Fulmer won multiple games as an interim coach, and Majors was pushed out specifically to put Fulmer in.

Jimbo Fisher had already been named coach-in-waiting for whenever Bowden retired. They ended up rushing his retirement.

Zook was fired for what UF decided was poor performance, and Strong went 0-1 as the interim coach. It's illogical to say that they should have promoted someone off of the fired coach's staff instead of bringing in Urban Meyer after he went 13-0 at Utah. Also, Urban then retained Strong.

If we hire Strong, and he thinks UF passed him over, and that puts a chip on his shoulder, then great, but that's not how I see it.

It is being looked over if you interviewed for the job. The bad thing is they brought an unproven D Coord just like him in without considering. He was overlooked IMO.

Anything new? Or is it same o same o?

Best I can figure:

Arky has hired a Gundy/Gruden mutant as HC named Grundy

Peterson has demanded more volcanoes to be located in Knoxville as part of a potential HC job

Hart wants to pay Gruden’s staff in Food Stamps according to Basilio

Reactions: 6 people
I can't believe how many people hope Strong and Gundy both stay put. I'd love to get Gruden too, but it will get very ugly around here if the current candidates all say, "no." Right now, it sounds like either Gundy will leave his alma mater and the school and state he has spent the bulk of his life at to coach the Vols, or Strong will pass on coaching the Sugar Bowl to coach the Vols. They're not Gruden, but they're both good hires.

Exactly. this is nothing new. The same story has been out there since last week. Basilio just churns this sh!t up and spins it every now and then.

Basilio is hilarious. He'll say anything. Can't believe we've never heard a toilet flush in the background while he's doing a show. Think he does them laying in bed some days.

Reactions: 1 person

Zook was fired for what UF decided was poor performance, and Strong went 0-1 as the interim coach. It's illogical to say that they should have promoted someone off of the fired coach's staff instead of bringing in Urban Meyer after he went 13-0 at Utah. Also, Urban then retained Strong.

Chaney won. Should we hire him? I think not, but he will probably end up as a head coach somewhere.

Chaney won. Should we hire him? I think not, but he will probably end up as a head coach somewhere.

Hiring Chaney is a good comparison to what it would have been like for UF to have hired Strong when they fired Zook.

It is being looked over if you interviewed for the job. The bad thing is they brought an unproven D Coord just like him in without considering. He was overlooked IMO.

They hired Texas' coach-in-waiting instead of Strong, after one 7-6 season at UofL. It's also possible Strong wouldn't have bailed after just one year.
If the UF job were open right now instead of two years ago, I think Strong would be hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back