Charlie Strong

He's protecting his current job. Hubbs speaks in absolute certainty that he's be interviewed.

You can't trust coaches at this time. They're almost forced to lie to reporters.

didn't hubbs speak in absolute certainty on Gruden too?

didn't hubbs speak in absolute certainty on Gruden too?

No. He always said he would have to see it to believe it. He put the chances at around 20% of Gruden coming to Knoxville. Said there was mutual interest but that he just wasn't confident it would get worked out.

I'll tell you the one thing that makes me nervous about Strong -- the number of rival fans saying what a great hire he would be. When Gruden was the talk of the town, it was all about how he couldn't transition to the college game, couldn't deal with kids, etc. Now that it's looking like Strong, most of them are pleased as punch.

That gives me pause. Otherwise I think he is a really good hire.

It shouldn't give you pause. It means that rival fans didnt have their heads so far up Grudens hind parts like most of VN that they could see all the question marks with him. If we don't hire Strong someone in the SEC will. And we may miss out.

No. He always said he would have to see it to believe it. He put the chances at around 20% of Gruden coming to Knoxville. Said there was mutual interest but that he just wasn't confident it would get worked out.

He wasn't even that high on it, every time someone would ask he put it at 5%. Hubbs was pretty sure it wasn't going to be Gruden, but would never absolutely shut the door on it because Hart would never say anything.

I didn't realize there were so many fellow Louisville residents on here. I don't know if you saw his press conference today, but it was painfully clear that he has every intention of ditching UL for an SEC program Arkansas' pull would be that it's his home state...ours would be that we offer more tradition and better facilities (although Arkansas has some damn fine facilities in their own right.)

I heard that too. Kinda bashed the fanbase and dodged the "are you staying question. What part of Louisville you in? I live in the highlands myself. Great area.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll tell you the one thing that makes me nervous about Strong -- the number of rival fans saying what a great hire he would be. When Gruden was the talk of the town, it was all about how he couldn't transition to the college game, couldn't deal with kids, etc. Now that it's looking like Strong, most of them are pleased as punch.

That gives me pause. Otherwise I think he is a really good hire.

I skimmed a Bammer boards thread about the Gruden rumors and they were overwhelmingly saying Gruden was as good as you could dream for us and many others. Not sure what you read. In fact the few that said things negative about it several posters would jump in and say you're crazy Gruden will kill it.

The better analogy would be all the LSU posters who said they would maybe like DD....

I think most of our rivals truly do want us to get this right if they've been an SEC fan for a while, no one likes to see a proud team suck at the level we have. 7-8 wins suck, sure but not this bad.

currently texting my friends in Louisville, they all will be pissed if we get Charlie to leave. They are in love with him up there.
I feel like he will be able to recruit the SEC very well, and aside from Gruden, I would be very happy with him as our coach.

I direct you to post #1816.

The fact is, Strong just took UL to a BCS bowl in his third year, after taking over an awful situation.

He's proven he's a great recruiter at SEC schools. And guess what? WE'RE IN THE SEC. What a revelation.

Strong's the guy. Like it, or leave it. Just don't come back when he finds success here.

OK...I'll play. Take a look at post 1717 where I originally asked you to prove your point with some credible information other than "Cause I said so." You'll find that is the post where I gave you both of Strong's US Army All Americans.

We're in the SEC? What a revelation, but wait, so is KY, VANDY, Ole Miss, Miss St who don't have stellar recruiting either. And 2 of those teams beat us in the last couple of years.

Only thing lacking in your posts is the proof that you so like to tout. Where is the proof? You say he was a great SEC recruiter...where is the proof? You said he was a great recruiter at Louisville, but that was disproven.

The only logical deduction is you don't have proof. You are spouting platitudes without proof and calling out anyone who disagrees with you.

If Strong is the guy, I will support him just as I have supported all of our coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
I heard that too. Kinda bashed the fanbase and dodged the "are you staying question. What part of Louisville you in? I live in the highlands myself. Great area.

Jerry, I live near campus currently...I'm in my third year of law school here, so it made sense to live nearby. I'll likely be moving to St. Matthews or the Highlands myself upon graduation in May.

Still hoping its not Strong. Don't believe the "insiders" at all. Hopefully we will see who it is by the end of this weekend.

Reactions: 1 person
Only thing lacking in your posts is the proof that you so like to tout. Where is the proof? You say he was a great SEC recruiter...where is the proof?

He was a Rivals top 25 assistant coach recruiter for 3 or 4 years I believe. Also was ranked in ESPN's list of best recruiters a couple of years.

OK...I'll play. Take a look at post 1717 where I originally asked you to prove your point with some credible information other than "Cause I said so." You'll find that is the post where I gave you both of Strong's US Army All Americans.

We're in the SEC? What a revelation, but wait, so is KY, VANDY, Ole Miss, Miss St who don't have stellar recruiting either. And 2 of those teams beat us in the last couple of years.

Only thing lacking in your posts is the proof that you so like to tout. Where is the proof? You say he was a great SEC recruiter...where is the proof? You said he was a great recruiter at Louisville, but that was disproven.

The only logical deduction is you don't have proof. You are spouting platitudes without proof and calling out anyone who disagrees with you.

If Strong is the guy, I will support him just as I have supported all of our coaches.

Florida's defense is the proof. It is very well known that Strong is a phenomenal recruiter. Read what other coaches and writers have to say about him. It's nothing but respect.

I'm just calling out you, because I disagree.

Crow will be eaten in this thread, when NSD comes.

Jerry, I live near campus currently...I'm in my third year of law school here, so it made sense to live nearby. I'll likely be moving to St. Matthews or the Highlands myself upon graduation in May.

St. Matthews is really nice. I love the highlands, any restaurant you could imagine, cool little shops, lots of girls. :)

Could join the Grudenites. The last holdouts.

LOL, that ship has sailed and I am not on it.

I still like Fisher, Gundy, Tressel, Davis.

In the end I really don't care. Hire a coach and let's get back to winning. If the coach is no good, he will be replaced and all this fun will repeat (ugh)

St. Matthews is really nice. I love the highlands, any restaurant you could imagine, cool little shops, lots of girls. :)

You're right about that haha. I went to O'Shea's a lot my first year here. I'd say my favorite restaurant over that way is Mark's though. That barbecue is tough to beat.

Guys...go read what UL fans are saying about him. Do a little research please, he's better than Dooley bu he's no Homerun hire.

One thing I've learned in this process is not to put too much creedance in the opinions and rants of a fanbase. They can sometimes be a little...how do I say this...over the top, perhaps...

Florida's defense is the proof. It is very well known that Strong is a phenomenal recruiter. Read what other coaches and writers have to say about him. It's nothing but respect.

No he's not :eek:lol:

Strongs been gone from FL for 3 years? It's no longer his defense. Just saying. It's Muschamps defense playing the way the are now.

LOL, that ship has sailed and I am not on it.

I still like Fisher, Gundy, Tressel, Davis.

In the end I really don't care. Hire a coach and let's get back to winning. If the coach is no good, he will be replaced and all this fun will repeat (ugh)

I don't get the Tressel love. He'll help someone win I am sure so in that sense I get it. Seems like hand me downs though.

VN Store

Back