Let's talk Gundy, Strong, Fisher

My problem with Gundy is that OSU is all offense with a swiss cheese defense. Basically what we already have.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
I to some degree share your fears. However, their entire defensive staff makes somewhere around what Sal makes for us and that program is not a major job that is considered a springboard to anywhere. I have to believe with money and resources, we could attract a great DC here.

I dont see either Gundy, Morea, Shaw, Patterson or Fisher coming here, why would they? Strong is the possibility, but the best coach out there that will come is Butch Davis hands down.

I have rhetorical questions pointing out flaws I see in each candidate.

Strong:

Has the rep as a great recruiter but where are the results at Louisville?

What's up with the results on the field? Nearly losing to Southern Miss..c 'mon.

Can he go head to head with Richt, Jimbo and Muschamp and pull the top end recruits from Florida and Georgia?

The guy is from Arkansas, why are they not all over him?

Fisher:

Is he doing less with more talent than any coach since Phil Fulmer?

Can he replicate the recruiting success he has been having at FSU?

Is this a ploy by Sexton to squeeze more money from the UT cash cow for his clients, either directly or by leveraging FSU?

For an offensive coach, his results under LSU were solid more than spectacular. Between 26 and 33 ppg. More of the same at FSU. Is he falling behind the times with today's spread offenses putting up video game numbers?

When you think solid fundamental quarterback development, do Rohan Davey and Jamarcus Russell come to mind?

Gundy:

See the Sexton angle under Fisher.

How does he do with shoring up the defense?

How well does he recruit a new area?

If he isn't happy at his alma mater being one of the highest paid coaches in the country( number 11), how is he going to be happy here? He's not gonna get paid 4 million a year plus to talk about five year rebuilding projects, bamboo, and showering etiquette.

Iowa State last year? Troy in 2007? Houston in 2006 and 2009? The guy has some ugly losses on the resume.

Reactions: 2 people
I have rhetorical questions pointing out flaws I see in each candidate.

Strong:

Has the rep as a great recruiter but where are the results at Louisville?

What's up with the results on the field? Nearly losing to Southern Miss..c 'mon.

Can he go head to head with Richt, Jimbo and Muschamp and pull the top end recruits from Florida and Georgia?

The guy is from Arkansas, why are they not all over him?

Fisher:

Is he doing less with more talent than any coach since Phil Fulmer?

Can he replicate the recruiting success he has been having at FSU?

Is this a ploy by Sexton to squeeze more money from the UT cash cow for his clients, either directly or by leveraging FSU?

For an offensive coach, his results under LSU were solid more than spectacular. Between 26 and 33 ppg. More of the same at FSU. Is he falling behind the times with today's spread offenses putting up video game numbers?

When you think solid fundamental quarterback development, do Rohan Davey and Jamarcus Russell come to mind?

Gundy:

See the Sexton angle under Fisher.

How does he do with shoring up the defense?

How well does he recruit a new area?

If he isn't happy at his alma mater being one of the highest paid coaches in the country( number 11), how is he going to be happy here? He's not gonna get paid 4 million a year plus to talk about five year rebuilding projects, bamboo, and showering etiquette.

Iowa State last year? Troy in 2007? Houston in 2006 and 2009? The guy has some ugly losses on the resume.

These things are why I really don't think that any of these are legit options. I really think they're all smokescreens, though they make not know it.

Jimbo is apparently out. Declined an interview, according to 247.

These things are why I really don't think that any of these are legit options. I really think they're all smokescreens, though they make not know it.

No disrespect, but I am not buying the smokescreens argument.

I think Jimbo has been 1 A, 1 B, and 1 C for Hart from the beginning due to familiarity from FSU. He doesn't want to make the most important decision of his life on someone he is not very familiar with, whether he is actually worth the investment or not be damned.

I think the donors are more or less pushing Hart to branch out and interview some other candidates.

I think the donors are the ones who were working back channels with Gruden and we were probably closer to the truth on Friday with the details from Gruden's agent than any of us want to admit as it relates to Hart.

No disrespect, but I am not buying the smokescreens argument.

I think Jimbo has been 1 A, 1 B, and 1 C for Hart from the beginning due to familiarity from FSU. He doesn't want to make the most important decision of his life on someone he is not very familiar with, whether he is actually worth the investment or not be damned.

I think the donors are more or less pushing Hart to branch out and interview some other candidates.

I think the donors are the ones who were working back channels with Gruden and we were probably closer to the truth on Friday with the details from Gruden's agent than any of us want to admit as it relates to Hart.

No disrespect taken at all bro.

I think it's very true that Hart WANTS Fisher. But I don't know how much Hart matters here. I think the boosters are going to get Gruden, and Hart is told to go interview others and gauge interest in case Gruden doesn't work out, and to distract others from Gruden.

I could be totally wrong. I just think Hart is a pawn in this. I'm not sure that his actions are the things we need to watch this time. In HUGE hires like this, AD's are usually not as influential as you think (See Alabama)

How do you know that it will be one of those three? Or are you just speculating or dreaming like the rest of us?

No disrespect taken at all bro.

I think it's very true that Hart WANTS Fisher. But I don't know how much Hart matters here. I think the boosters are going to get Gruden, and Hart is told to go interview others and gauge interest in case Gruden doesn't work out, and to distract others from Gruden.

I could be totally wrong. I just think Hart is a pawn in this. I'm not sure that his actions are the things we need to watch this time. In HUGE hires like this, AD's are usually not as influential as you think (See Alabama)

Well, looks like Jimbo is out according to a post above.

I am losing faith in Hart quickly, and not even over the Gruden fiasco.

How do you know that it will be one of those three? Or are you just speculating or dreaming like the rest of us?

It's worth the discussion.

All three have been named as having interviewed or will interview by sources in the Knoxville media in the past 72 hours.

No one knows who it will be until the press conference.

I gotta say that I have been following this since the beginning thru every outlet available. I was pumped to know that all the big money boosters were on board.....including manning. But if its gundy, fisher or strong then who really gives a ****. Fisher is prob the top guy but there isnt much difference in any of them and none are impressive. Basically 2 rookie HCs and one experienced at being very average. This shall not set the world of sports on fire.

I would probably take fisher first.. he has improved over what bowden left him with and now they just won their first ACC title since 2005. He has done well when recruiting on his own. Strong would be ok.. just not sold on him.. I think he best recruiting days are when he was with Urban Meyer.. Smart does well under Saban and dont think many want him. Gundy.. very good offense poor defense (sound familar?) he might improve if given a chance in the SEC but thats a risky move IMO

VN Store

Back