Big money

eb=pain

down the field
Dont know if posted yet but just fyi... (myknoxnews@knoxnews.com -) UT Athletics to halt contributions to academics for 3 years; $18 million will go toward coaching change.

Reactions: 2 people
No, $18 million will go to athletics. I never quite understood the transition from the VASF which was athletic to the Tennessee Fund which included everything anyway.

This is just making the school look bad

No it doesn't. What other major football playing university do you know that gives five or $6 million a year to the academic side? I think UT is the only one that does or ever has on a consistent basis! If UT hadn't of given five or $6 million a year to the academics for so long we would have $100 million surplus as well in the AD like some other schools.

This is just making the school look bad

Read on...the money is being made up through (ahem) "private gifts". Translation: donors that may not have wanted to contribute to the athletic dept may have committed funds to the University's scholarship fund.

Look, my scholarship to UT was paid through the athletic department and I was in no way an athlete at the time. So I appreciate what the AD was able to do. But if the reserve funds are low, they need to rebuild them and give the money back when they do. Keep in mind that the AD will reap an additional $12M from ESPN in a couple of years, for a net revenue increase of at least $42M over the next 3 years. ($18 from the university, $24 from ESPN.) That ought to get things moving in the right direction.

Dave Hart (for this part of the transaction) has earned his salary, IMHO.

Alrite you guys convinced me otherwise. I just don't understand how we are pulling all this money for the athletic facility, buying out most of the staff, and then going all out for Mr. Gruden. I think we may be putting all of our eggs in one basket in going for him. I would much rather go for the safer call in Charlie Strong. I love Gruden and think he would pull a ton of talent, but I don't know if he would be the best college coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Alrite you guys convinced me otherwise. I just don't understand how we are pulling all this money for the athletic facility, buying out most of the staff, and then going all out for Mr. Gruden. I think we may be putting all of our eggs in one basket in going for him. I would much rather go for the safer call in Charlie Strong. I love Gruden and think he would pull a ton of talent, but I don't know if he would be the best college coach.

Because...?

Gruden brings instant "star" power to any program. He could go into any living room in America and compete for 4 and 5 star players immediately. He would be the equivalent of Bama hiring Saban. Don't know that we get him but he is definitely worth whatever it takes , within reason. Most sure way to rebuild our program quickly

I don't get why some are so excited about Strong either. He has one good season and he becomes the flavor of the week. Gruden is at least well respected in the football world and young players love to learn from him.

This is actually Step 4 or 5 in the UT and Gruden plans. UT is actually doing what it planned and needed to do to support any major league coach. It also corrects a major funding issue that none of the other land grant U's in the SEC face. Levels the playing field.

I mean when you look at his records he 100-85 overall and 5-4 in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong I think he could be a HUGE hire. But, if we were to spend that much money he would have to be a Nick Saban hire or it would not be worth it.

Don't compare NFL records with college .. His NFL record is considered a big success. Check out some of the NFL coaches and you'll see their winning % is around .500 at best. Gruden would be equivalent of hiring Saban when Bama hired him

Don't compare NFL records with college .. His NFL record is considered a big success. Check out some of the NFL coaches and you'll see their winning % is around .500 at best. Gruden would be equivalent of hiring Saban when Bama hired him

Im just pointing it out. I'm in no way saying I would not be ecstatic to hire Gruden!

VN Store

Back