First time in Athens

I told this story yesterday, but it is realy really really important, so here it is one more time just for you....

If the girl has an adams apple........she is a dude.

I know a guy that learned that one the hard way in Athens.

If you go about a block before the main gate entrance about an hour before the game and just wait you will probably run into someone who is falling down shizzled and will give you their ticket.

They're a surly bunch. If they win, they'll taunt you. If they lose, they'll want to fight.

Athens is a great town to spend a weekend in most of the time, but that place is a sewer on football Saturdays.

It was a way more fun place to go when the Vols owned 'em. Much easier to take their drunken babble after a W.

Are the UGA fans really that bad? I know some fans can be. I went to Ole Miss a few years back, and they were awful. My aunt's car got spray painted there too.

They are obnoxious. The urine bombs is more of a UF thing. Plan to be underwhelmed by their gameday atmosphere. The stadium is nice and the campus is beautiful but Athens is not very loud. Traffic getting out of there sucks and is especially torturous after a loss.

Some decent restaurants downtown (or near):

The Grill (old athens place, good burgers, fries...)
Last Resort Grill
Five and Ten (lumpkin)
The Grit (veggie type place--good)
SR. Sol / La Parilla -- good mexican

Bars: The Globe, Copper Creek, The Pub, Trapeze

Georgia chicks--very wild and "friendly"

They don't throw urine bombs in Athens....that was a gator thing.

It won't take much to get on the Fire Richt bandwagon again. He is a well-documented under-achiever

Athens is Knoxville without as many parking decks and without an interstate to move people out of town.

Driving out on 316 is absolute misery.

I usually try to drive out down Atlanta highway, then go up in to Winder and then Gainesville. Come out thru the mountains into Dalton, then hit 75. It's longer, but much prettier drive and less traffic.

Try to park and tailgate on East Campus. The parking is free in the East Campus Parking Deck.

You can't go wrong with restaurants downtown. They also have the hot dog/bratwurst guys down there too (my favorite).

After the game, going downtown is a must. One of, if not the, best college bar scene in the country. 63 bars in a block and a half. Just bar hop around with the Georgia Peaches.

VN Store

Back