Jon Gruden thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Corona Extra presented Gruden with the script for the commercial, and Gruden himself said "Wait, I know this doesn't include Knoxville in it, but I'm going to add it because I want to send a secret message to all Tennessee fans that I think their school is special and I might want to coach there if the opportunity arises. Ya'll ok with that, Corona Extra?"

LOL

obviously plus corona doesn't hate us

to Ron Mexico. Did u ever think that kiffen or dooley would be coaches here. Do not ever say never because gruden will be back in coaching and it will be at the college level because pros do not have the mentality to tolerate him as a coach. And on offense he has the best mind in the business by far. I am not saying he is or wil be the coach here but do not say he could or will not.

Concerning Kiffin and Dooley....I wouldn't have called them by name, but I would have thought that their resume would make them possibilities for a D1 coaching opportunity. John Gruden/Bill Cowher stand to gain nothing by coaching at Tennessee. Nothing. There is zero chance of that ever happening.

Why, exactly, do many people on here pine for Gruden? Is it just because you actually know his name and that he was affiliated with the UT program?

He's never been a head coach in college. He was a grad assistant here, but likely never had to shoulder a great burden on the recruiting trail. People underestimate how much time and manpower it takes to really be an excellent recruiter, and he's never dealt with it on this level. What makes you think he has the ability to go into Alabama or Georgia to snatch elite players from Saban or Richt?

I'm not even convinced he's that good of a coach. He won the Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa Bay with Dungy's talent. Aside from that, he had a good year in Oakland that ended in the AFC championship game. The rest of his years were either mediocre (which isn't good enough) or flamed out early in the playoffs.

Seriously. Why is he the answer? Honest question. I don't have anything against him, but I see nothing that would automatically put him at the top of any wish list.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not someone who necessarily thinks that either of those guys will ever coach here, but you're pretty sure of something that you couldn't possibly know for sure.
Johnny Majors came back to rebuild UT after winning a championship with Pitt. What did he have to gain? Sometimes people like to be challenged.

Reactions: 1 person
Why, exactly, do many people on here pine for Gruden? Is it just because you actually know his name and that he was affiliated with the UT program?

He's never been a head coach in college. He was a grad assistant here, but likely never had to shoulder a great burden on the recruiting trail. People underestimate how much time and manpower it takes to really be an excellent recruiter, and he's never dealt with it on this level. What makes you think he has the ability to go into Alabama or Georgia to snatch elite players from Saban or Richt?

I'm not even convinced he's that good of a coach. He won the Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa Bay with Dungy's talent. Aside from that, he had a good year in Oakland that ended in the AFC championship game. The rest of his years were either mediocre (which isn't good enough) or flamed out early in the playoffs.

Seriously. Why is he the answer? Honest question. I don't have anything against him, but I see nothing that would automatically put him at the top of any wish list.
Don't bother asking. These people are too ( insert your own negative adjective here) to understand your question. Right now they're just pounding on the keyboard with their fists and screaming for Bill Belichik to get hired.

So, Corona Extra presented Gruden with the script for the commercial, and Gruden himself said "Wait, I know this doesn't include Knoxville in it, but I'm going to add it because I want to send a secret message to all Tennessee fans that I think their school is special and I might want to coach there if the opportunity arises. Ya'll ok with that, Corona Extra?"

LOL

I agree that sounds pretty far-fetched...

...but less far fetched if he'd already been discussing the possibility with Hart. Even then, doubtful it is connected.

As hard as he works at his job now and has in the past coaching jobs, he would probably be an pretty good recruiter. He knows the game and knows players that can play the game. I am not saying he will or will not. I hope that dooley does work out because no more change is needed here at all other than an OC and better players. We are giving scollies to players that can not play sec football.

Reactions: 2 people
No, actually Fulmer & Kiffin's recruiting showed last night.

Dooley hasn't recruited any seniors - the true seniors are from Kiffin's 2009 class, RS seniors from Fulmer's 2008 class.

Heck, the Juniors are Kiffen's recruits that Dooley was able to hold onto right before signing day. Mo Couch, Tiny, McCullers, Johnson, Maggitt, Young, Patterson, Drae Browels, et al are Dooley's recruits.

Senoirs are not the problem except Waggner. The DBs are not SEC caliber and it shows. Moore and Randolph are okay but the others are nothing to write home about. Teague killed us last night

I didn't see our DBs getting beat last night. I did see them miss assignments when FLA went in motion, like the last TD for example. They also seem to lack the speed to stop the edge runs and cut off the angles.

can not tackle anyone.Coverage was okay. No speed at all. once they cleared it was over qb included and that is sad

I didn't see our DBs getting beat last night. I did see them miss assignments when FLA went in motion, like the last TD for example. They also seem to lack the speed to stop the edge runs and cut off the angles.

Did you see Trey Burton's 2 TDs?

boy oh boy...a Super Bowl winner and an offensive guru whose teams weren't collectively even above the league average on offense and who won around 55% of his games and whose one Super Bowl win came when this offensive guru had a below average offense but was blessed with a best in the league defense.

That also describes Brian Billick. Think about how ridiculous that hire sounds and get a hold of yourselves on the Gruden talk. It is absurd. Especially when you consider you can count the nfl-first college gig moves that were big winners on one hand. Make that one finger.

boy oh boy...a Super Bowl winner and an offensive guru whose teams weren't collectively even above the league average on offense and who won around 55% of his games and whose one Super Bowl win came when this offensive guru had a below average offense but was blessed with a best in the league defense.

That also describes Brian Billick. Think about how ridiculous that hire sounds and get a hold of yourselves on the Gruden talk. It is absurd. Especially when you consider you can count the nfl-first college gig moves that were big winners on one hand. Make that one finger.

Except Gruden is a decade younger and about 100x's more recognizable by high school football players.

Dooley is coach until he doesn't win 8 this year. No 8 then no more coach Dooley. You are all missing the next coach. Call the dude at Boise St. and pay him whatever! Gruden is a circus act and I actually like him but please no more circuses as the last 3 years have been quite a big circus already.

Tennesseeduke
:rolleyes:

Dooley is coach until he doesn't win 8 this year. No 8 then no more coach Dooley. You are all missing the next coach. Call the dude at Boise St. and pay him whatever! Gruden is a circus act and I actually like him but please no more circuses as the last 3 years have been quite a big circus already.

Tennesseeduke
:rolleyes:

Would love Peterson. Maybe he's ripe for the pickin....

Except Gruden is a decade younger and about 100x's more recognizable by high school football players.

We would get a lot of love from ESPN for sure....

I am not sure some of the fans could take Gruden... He makes Muschump look like a saint when he gets mad.. He would be up in everyone's grill...

And Saban was such a huge success in the nfl??

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back