New Commit

Peters was kind of a sleeper last spring. Many on here didn't like the pickup because he was only a 3star and LSU wasn't beating his door down to land him. Then he showed out at camps, had a good senior season and once rivals started gushing about him folks began to love the idea of Peters to UT.

If Skipper has a good senior season and gets some love from Rivals, and a bump to a 4star, he'll be wanted badly by these same folks hating the commitment now.

Yep!

They were both sleepers. We were one of Othas first offers IIRC. Santos didn't have any offers from instate schools at the time either I think.

His point was all these people cried when we received their commitments because they were 3*s, then they cried when they left cause they were talented 4*s.

Skipper is not so much of a project or sleeper. He has offers from some good schools who do well in the OL department. He needs a little weight, he has 2-3 years to get that. If he comes to UT at 300, which is very possible. Look for him to be at least 320-330 by the time he starts. If Tyler Bray can pack on 15 pounds while at UT, an OL can get 30.

I agree with everything you say about Skipper - but that would be my definition of a project - a guy not expected to contribute right away (or needed to) that after he does something (in this case add weight) can turn into a good player for you

ESPN had Santos the #1 rated ILB in the country - forgive me if I don't call that sleeper - just b/c you don't have an offer from Texas doesn't all of a sudden make the kid a sleeper

Don't mind this pickup. OL is one of the hardest positions to evaluate in HS. Him and the CAK OL are good pickups to me.

We have some recruits that can be legitimately questioned. This isn't one of them.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with everything you say about Skipper - but that would be my definition of a project - a guy not expected to contribute right away (or needed to) that after he does something (in this case add weight) can turn into a good player for you

ESPN had Santos the #1 rated ILB in the country - forgive me if I don't call that sleeper - just b/c you don't have an offer from Texas doesn't all of a sudden make the kid a sleeper

In most situations that's a project. When it comes to OL its almost normal. Very few OL play right off unless it is out of necessity. The top rated guys more than likely play as RS Freshman, but the others probably won't be hitting the field till RS Sophs or Jrs. That's just how it is.

As I recall, Boise St. has done pretty well with a bunch 3* that were "under the radar type players. Let the coaches evaluate the talent and extend offers as they see fit. After all, its not like this guy is 5'4 145lbs or something....

As I recall, Boise St. has done pretty well with a bunch 3* that were "under the radar type players. Let the coaches evaluate the talent and extend offers as they see fit. After all, its not like this guy is 5'4 145lbs or something....

I'm tired of that dumb argument. You need 4 and 5 stars in the SEC. In the WAC 3 stars are above the average competition.

If everything about this kid stayed the same with the exception that he had four stars by his name....nothing but booms across the board....sad really...bunch of star gazers :no: let the coaches eval talent

You can NOT coach SIZE. This kid has a huge frame. Give him two years in the strength and conditioning program with the right diet and he will be a stud. Who cares how many stars he has??? He is big and has great potential. I say it's a great pick up. Hope he sticks with us.

Ok I'm glad we have another Olinemen but does anyone else think he is a little tall? I have not seen any tape on him to know his skill set, to me wouldnt it be smart to make him maybe a Defensive tackle? I mean think of how many passes he could knock down or even change just by being so large. I might be crazy it was just an idea.

Dan "Too Tall Two" Skipper?

Edit: He is bigger already than Too Tall. Ed Jones was also from Tennessee and went to TSU so Too Tall is kinda an instate nickname.

Last edited:
not sure why we take this many project skill players this early? ol tho u can never tell by ratings... and ya gotta trust observation.

admittedly taking three or four guys this early can mean any number of things, one of which is these guys are gonna blow up. or, unlike predecessors this coach has vision and wont leave cupboard naked.

hope not. hope we wont run outta spots. gotta wait and see. hope they swing for the fences this year!!

At 6'10, I could imagine him possibly working as a TE. Anyone know how athletic he is?

And for anyone complaining about recruiting so many "3 star" players.... Stop playing so much XBOX. In the real world, 3 stars can get you into the top 150.

I remeber the other day having an argument with one you tools that we call negavols about how Dooley isn't proven as a recruiter because the players he brought in who have excelled were all 4 star recruits that everyone wanted.

Now Dooley takes some 3 stars, and apparently he is the worst recruiter ever.

To recap the negavol position on this:

A. If Dooley brings in 4 star players and they end up being All-Americans, it's only because everyone in America was after them, and this says nothing about his abilities as a recruiter.

B. If Dooley brings in 3 star players, he sucks and our recruiting class will be the worst of all time.

Not the worst of all time, probably just 7th or 8th in the SEC.

Not the worst of all time, probably just 7th or 8th in the SEC.

LSU and Alabama played in the NC game last year.

Florida, Georgia, and Texas A&M have the best in state talent in the nation.

We are coming off back to back losing seasons. Would seventh really be that bad?

These situations are a no win for Dooley. When these kids commit, "why is he only recruiting three stars we don't want them" and if the kid decommits or is told to look elsewhere "Dooley can't hold onto his recruits"

VN Store

Back