Anybody know if this is true?

Gov. Aaron V. Brown issued a call for 2,800 men to battle Santa Ana and some 30,000 Tennesseans volunteered.

Sweet

Anyone who has played the NCAA video games knows that the colors come from the daisies. They had those little fun facts for loading screens.

Yes, it came from Orange daisies that grew on the hill. A simple google search reveals hundreds of different sites that not only prove that orange daisies exist, but that you can actually purchase the elusive flora.

To the poster who said that his acquaintance from Texas said that UT's colors were purple. He is flat wrong. In fact before UT's colors were orange and white they were...black and white. Without wanting to spend the thirty seconds it would take to confirm this fact, my memory says that the colors changed somewhere in the 19teens to 20's.

Not to get too far into the black jersey debate, but for everyone who was so upset with that they forgot that black was our first color making it a true nod to tradition. Anyway...

Not only that, the flower is native to East Tennessee:
Gallery :: Spring Flowers - Roadsides - White and Cream-colored :: Daisy_group

Youre all wrong this is the REAL story

How the schools got their colors.
Some Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama fans decided that black-and-white school colors were a bit too dull. So they called upon God to give them colors that would truly represent them.

First, the Tennessee fans stepped before God and asked for their school's colors. God said "When I see Tennessee, I see a great big orange sun coming up over beautiful white clouds. "Tennessee, my favorite sons, will be orange and white".

Next, the Georgia fans stood before God and asked for their school colors. God said, "I see a field of fertile black soil...from which will grow a beautiful field of red roses. Georgia will be black and red."

The Auburn fans were next. God said "When I think of Auburn, I see a glorious sky of blue with the bright orange sun shining down on my favorite town. Your colors are orange and blue."

God then turned to the Alabama fans and said quite hastily, "Your colors are crimson and white."

Later, after the fans had left, St. Peter came to God and said, "Lord, as you handed out each fan's colors, you explained their origin-all but the Alabama fans. I'm curious. Why crimson and white? What do you see when you think of Alabama?"

"I see the same thing you see," God said, "white trash and red necks".

Reactions: 12 people
Youre all wrong this is the REAL story

How the schools got their colors.
Some Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama fans decided that black-and-white school colors were a bit too dull. So they called upon God to give them colors that would truly represent them.

First, the Tennessee fans stepped before God and asked for their school's colors. God said "When I see Tennessee, I see a great big orange sun coming up over beautiful white clouds. "Tennessee, my favorite sons, will be orange and white".

Next, the Georgia fans stood before God and asked for their school colors. God said, "I see a field of fertile black soil...from which will grow a beautiful field of red roses. Georgia will be black and red."

The Auburn fans were next. God said "When I think of Auburn, I see a glorious sky of blue with the bright orange sun shining down on my favorite town. Your colors are orange and blue."

God then turned to the Alabama fans and said quite hastily, "Your colors are crimson and white."

Later, after the fans had left, St. Peter came to God and said, "Lord, as you handed out each fan's colors, you explained their origin-all but the Alabama fans. I'm curious. Why crimson and white? What do you see when you think of Alabama?"

"I see the same thing you see," God said, "white trash and red necks".

Although I grew up in Alabama and don't even recognize that other school as anything but cow pasture, this WAS worth reading through this thread to get to!!

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, it came from Orange daisies that grew on the hill. A simple google search reveals hundreds of different sites that not only prove that orange daisies exist, but that you can actually purchase the elusive flora.

To the poster who said that his acquaintance from Texas said that UT's colors were purple. He is flat wrong. In fact before UT's colors were orange and white they were...black and white. Without wanting to spend the thirty seconds it would take to confirm this fact, my memory says that the colors changed somewhere in the 19teens to 20's.

Not to get too far into the black jersey debate, but for everyone who was so upset with that they forgot that black was our first color making it a true nod to tradition. Anyway...

Shfortteenteen?

My grandfather played at UT. He told me the color came from the early days when a practice field was mowed that had orange day lillys growing there. The cut flowers left orange stains on their white Jerseys.

This story could have been an old man messing with his grandson. I do come from a long line of Tennessee Graduate smartazzes.

This

I had a buddy who is a fan of the fake UT (Texas for those who don't follow) and we were debating because I said they try to steal everything from UT. Including our color, power T, etc. He said Tennessee's original colors were purple and white and Texas did orange before we did. Pretty sure that's BS too.

If I remember correctly UTex burnt orange comes from the D Royal days in the early 60s. Something to do with him changing the colors as to match the color of the football. As to camoflouge it, so defenders would have trouble figuring out who had the ball.

UT does have a secret society.

I'm an old geezer and can confirm this is true. Our colors come from the Loyal Orange Lodge and I see several posters each day give homage to the order in their replies to posts to which they agree. In a time honored tradition they signify their agreement by invoking the initials of the order, thus indicating both their agreement as well as acknowledging their membership to this secret society. So anytime you see the initials of the order, you know the truth. Here's a tip of the hat to the Loyal Orange Lodge!

I see what you did there.

LOL to you Sir. :hi:

Whomever posted the reply that cited "horticulturalists" having said that there is no such thing as an orange daisy is 168% wrong.

As of this date there are over 168 known varieties of orange daisies...as with most flowers the colors hue and brightness vary from the outside edge of the blossom to the center, so there is no one variety whose color exactly matches the official UT orange (it is copyrighted and registered). Seen from a distance (such as a classroom) a field of several different varieties of daisies could and probably do appear like an "orange field".

The selection of the color orange has never had anything to do with any "secret" societies, or such. What a load of bunk that is!
MG

Got into a conversation today with a guy in his 60's who said that UT got their Orange color from a guy who was part of a secret society (The Orange) who helped select the colors. Said the color is not a true orange do to it being torch orange (representing the torch society in europe) and that is where it came from. Said it is the reason for the statue of the guy holding the torch on campus, etc.

Said we changed from blue to orange because of a secret socities involved in our university.

Anybody know much about this?

I could answer you, but it I can't confirm or deny the existence of the secret society

VN Store

Back