What Buck Fitzgerald said

That may be the disconnect. You are a smarter guy than to draw this conclusion based on taking over one of the most futile programs in college football (LT) and by most accounts improving it significantly or by taking over UT as he found it.

I hope Dooley is very good. I don't think you can prove "he's a terrible HC" specifically because of the circumstances he's operated in. OTOH, you also can't say he is or will be a great or even good coach. I don't know what it says about you as a person or even as a fan... it does make you unreasonable to declare someone a failure based on his experience so far as a HC. You cannot separate an evaluation of someone's ability from the context of their situation.

Facts... are not excuses. Apparently there were many including you that needed to be reminded constantly. The '11 team was LESS experienced, developed, and deep than the '10 or '09 teams. The FACT of three consecutive busted recruiting classes made this an unavoidable reality. Yet you ignore it and attack Dooley as if he should have yanked a D Moore, D Williams, or J Jackson out of his backside.

5 years, 1 winning season. He has failed as a HC.

That can change, but as of now, he has failed as a HC.

5 years, 1 winning season. He has failed as a HC.

That can change, but as of now, he has failed as a HC.

I think that is where we differ Justin....I don't know much about what he did at LT other than many of the fans interviewed loved him.....course maybe they loved him because he was leaving. I just don't think you can look at what he started with and his record and say failure. I know you and many say that the coaches left for lateral moves....my opine is they may have been told to look elsewhere and that we were in the market to replace them already. That may be a bit pie in the sky, but I think we definetly improved the DC and the OL coach. I just hesitate to say failure as a head coach now because I haven't seen him be a HC with a competitive team yet. 8 wins this year counting a bowl he is on habeneros, an 8 win pace counting a bowl next year and he won't finish the season. I would rather he do well though because from what I have seen and heard of him, I like him. I would much rather win with a CDD than Spliffin simply because I didn't like Spliffin as a person. The same with CPF. I would much rather have won with CPF than to have gotten rid of him because of what he meant and still means to UT. However, he let us down by not maintaining his high standards.

I think that is where we differ Justin....I don't know much about what he did at LT other than many of the fans interviewed loved him.....course maybe they loved him because he was leaving. I just don't think you can look at what he started with and his record and say failure. I know you and many say that the coaches left for lateral moves....my opine is they may have been told to look elsewhere and that we were in the market to replace them already. That may be a bit pie in the sky, but I think we definetly improved the DC and the OL coach. I just hesitate to say failure as a head coach now because I haven't seen him be a HC with a competitive team yet. 8 wins this year counting a bowl he is on habeneros, an 8 win pace counting a bowl next year and he won't finish the season. I would rather he do well though because from what I have seen and heard of him, I like him. I would much rather win with a CDD than Spliffin simply because I didn't like Spliffin as a person. The same with CPF. I would much rather have won with CPF than to have gotten rid of him because of what he meant and still means to UT. However, he let us down by not maintaining his high standards.
I don't mind if fans want to say Dooley hasn't been given a chance to compete with a full roster, but that doesn't mean everything is a tossup. He has been a head coach for 5 years, and what I've seen leads me to believe that he's a bad, if not awful, football coach.

Leadership starts at the top.

Yes, but the top doesn't make a play or tackle and good teams have upperclassmen leading the play on the field.

The leader on the field last year was a freaking transfer DT.

Some of you still don't understand the importance of sr leadership on the field of play. It's ridiculous.
How much in game coaching do you really think the HC does?

Yes, but the top doesn't make a play or tackle and good teams have upperclassmen leading the play on the field.

Some of you still don't understand the importance of sr leadership on the field of play. It's ridiculous.
It seems like Dooley didn't bother to do too much at halftime.

That may be the disconnect. You are a smarter guy than to draw this conclusion based on taking over one of the most futile programs in college football (LT) and by most accounts improving it significantly or by taking over UT as he found it.

I hope Dooley is very good. I don't think you can prove "he's a terrible HC" specifically because of the circumstances he's operated in. OTOH, you also can't say he is or will be a great or even good coach. I don't know what it says about you as a person or even as a fan... it does make you unreasonable to declare someone a failure based on his experience so far as a HC. You cannot separate an evaluation of someone's ability from the context of their situation.

Facts... are not excuses. Apparently there were many including you that needed to be reminded constantly. The '11 team was LESS experienced, developed, and deep than the '10 or '09 teams. The FACT of three consecutive busted recruiting classes made this an unavoidable reality. Yet you ignore it and attack Dooley as if he should have yanked a D Moore, D Williams, or J Jackson out of his backside.

Well said. I will take it a step further. A UT fan personally attacking the man who is trying to rebuild our decimated program (and his family), puts a person slightly behind a turd in my book

CDD is yet to prove that he is a good coach. He is also yet to prove that he is not a good one.

No, but liking or not liking a coach personally is irrelevant to me.

To me it's not irrelevant. I am not talking about the coach being a friend. Liking a coach to me has to do with ethics, how you treat people in your life and how you treat the kids on the team. I think CDD has done a good job of this at least on the surface. Some of the bad people press that he has gotten, I don't think we know all the facts about. Bobby Petrino is a POS. Lane Spliffin is a POS. CPF was a good man but he quit on us. If I thought that we could get the CPF that we had in the 90's, I would say take him back if CDD doesn't work out (not that it would ever happen, just making a point). I too want to win. I spent too much time in S. Fl and I spend too much time in N. Al taking my lumps whilst wearing Orange not too. But if winning (and by winning I mean SECCGs every other year and an NC every 3 or 4) means at any cost, count me out.

Yeah. Halftime assessments and adjustments were bad. I think having a young and pretty inexperienced staff can lead to getting your ass handed to you on halftime adjustments as well.

Though with some games, I think the team played their asses off in the first halves, but lacked the confidence, leadership and depth to keep it going.

If the 2nd half failures continue this year, it would push me to the other side of the fence, but I don't expect them to.

The HC is the face of the program. He should be respected by his players and staff. It's his job to hire competent assistants that do "coach" on games.

It's the head coach's job to set the example. If he's not, then it falls on him.

If the players are worn out by the half, there isn't much to do. That is where depth will help us this year.

Well said. I will take it a step further. A UT fan personally attacking the man who is trying to rebuild our decimated program (and his family), puts a person slightly behind a turd in my book

CDD is yet to prove that he is a good coach. He is also yet to prove that he is not a good one.

Or better yet, a failure.

I liken what CDD has done the last 5 years to a freshman taking Junior and Senior classes. Let's see what he can do now that he has some "pre-requisites" to work with.

The HC is the face of the program. He should be respected by his players and staff. It's his job to hire competent assistants that do "coach" on games.

It's the head coach's job to set the example. If he's not, then it falls on him.

Personally, I think CDD is just now getting the type of staff that he wanted to begin with. I've heard several rumors that filling his staff the first time wasn't easy. Just like many HCes passed on UT due to the instability of the program, I've heard that many assistants passed due to that same instability.

I'm excited about the support staff we have and am guardedly optimistic about future success.

That's a nice, true, run of the mill statement.

But the playing is done on the field and no coach wins without upperclassmen that are talented and leaders.

Reactions: 1 person
If the players are worn out by the half, there isn't much to do. That is where depth will help us this year.

Or better yet, a failure.

I liken what CDD has done the last 5 years to a freshman taking Junior and Senior classes. Let's see what he can do now that he has some "pre-requisites" to work with.

This is a results driven business. Dooley hasn't been very successful

Nope.

I liken it to him being sent in to build the university from scratch after an f5 tornado hit it. His years at LT were like him being asked to turn Chattanooga State Technical Community College into App St in 3 years. Some people don't get that.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back