What Buck Fitzgerald said

Leaders are made, they don't magically appear

leaders are born. It's either in you or it isn't. It's the coach's job to push guys they see with leadership qualities to look inside themselves and become leaders, and to recruit the personalities that do become leaders.

The rest is up to the player.

This is a results driven business. Dooley hasn't been very successful

What an asinine statement.

First, you're not in 'the business'.

Second, those that are know well enough to judge results based on the situation the results are asked to be produced from.

"Results" are defined based on the situation. For La Tech, results were better recruiting classes, better facilities, and basically a foundation for wining. You know what? They've started winning as a result of what Dooley did.

For UT and the situation CDD took over, results included:

Filling in a depleted roster.
Building for the future.
Instilling discipline.

This year will give a good indication as to what results CDD will have at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally, I think CDD is just now getting the type of staff that he wanted to begin with. I've heard several rumors that filling his staff the first time wasn't easy. Just like many HCes passed on UT due to the instability of the program, I've heard that many assistants passed due to that same instability.

I'm excited about the support staff we have and am guardedly optimistic about future success.

Justin Wilcox could have had a DC job anywhere he wanted one. Charlie Baggett is one of the better WR coaches around. Hiestand had a fantastic resume when he took the job. Blaming the assistants Dooley hired doesn't inspire faith in him.

Chuck Smith was a terrible hire.

What an asinine statement.

First, you're not in 'the business'.

Second, those that are know well enough to judge results based on the situation the results are asked to be produced from.

"Results" are defined based on the situation. For La Tech, results were better recruiting classes, better facilities, and basically a foundation for wining. You know what? They've started winning as a result of what Dooley did.

For UT and the situation CDD took over, results included:

Filling in a depleted roster.
Building for the future.
Instilling discipline.

This year will give a good indication as to what results CDD will have at UT.

The best thing Dooley did for La Tech was leave.

leaders are born. It's either in you or it isn't. It's the coach's job to push guys they see with leadership qualities to look inside themselves and become leaders, and to recruit the personalities that do become leaders.

The rest is up to the player.

So you agree leaders are made? I mean, without a coach pushing them, what are they?

Justin Wilcox could have had a DC job anywhere he wanted one. Charlie Baggett is one of the better WR coaches around. Hiestand had a fantastic resume when he took the job. Blaming the assistants Dooley hired doesn't inspire faith in him.

Chuck Smith was a terrible hire.

The best thing Dooley did for La Tech was leave.

You could do Volnation the same favor.

Reactions: 2 people
Orange Crush, how many coaches are retained with losing records by big time programs?

To say coaching at a BSC conference school isn't results driven is asinine

You're talking to the unbannable one bro.

Never asked for him to be banned-- just act as a voluntary air freshener.

However, I am convinced it would never happen. I figure he takes a bit of joy in what he does. That's cool. We all have guilty pleasures. I used to listen to Def Leppard. :)

Never asked for him to be banned-- just act as a voluntary air freshener.

However, I am convinced it would never happen. I figure he takes a bit of joy in what he does. That's cool. We all have guilty pleasures. I used to listen to Def Leppard. :)

Much worse than thinking Dooley is a bad coach imo iyam jmo

So you agree leaders are made? I mean, without a coach pushing them, what are they?

No, I don't think coaches can make leaders out of anyone. That would be making a leader.

Like I said, a good coach can see who has the qualities and recruit kids that have the qualities. Then, they emerge to become leaders. DD's first class still hasn't finished their soph year in college.
I don't expect leadership to be a concern anymore.

Orange Crush, how many coaches are retained with losing records by big time programs?

To say coaching at a BSC conference school isn't results driven is asinine

How many coaches asked to rebuild dumpster fires were fired in their second year of the rebuild?

Yes. I stand behind my statement. To define 'results' as counting wins, and separate the expected results from the situation is asinine.

"Results" were probably defined as:

(1) Save our class.
(2) Get a staff in place.
(3) Try to build some stability.
(4) ...
(5) etc...
You get the picture.

This year will tell us a lot about CDD.

For the record, and in all fairness to you... I won't get into this extended conversation with you. sjt has been very patient in having this conversation with you. You are a smart guy. Because I know that you are a smart guy, I surmise that you are purposefully trying to get reactions from people in missing these points.

Because I know you're a smart guy, that is why I treat you as though I believe you're just one more db on a site littered with them.

You mean Ruston's equivalent to Hubbs isn't speaking ill of a mediocre at best coach?

He took a 3 win team and won a bowl game for the first time in over 20 years.

First 3 year records of rebuilding jobs

Brady Hoke record @ Ball State 10-24

Al Golden record @ Temple 10-26

Mack Brown @ Tulane 11-23

Mack Brown @ UNC 8-24-1

Frank Beamer @ Vtech 11-21-1

Derek Dooley @ La Tech 17-20

And to change the topic of conversation, every time I look at this thread title, I can't help but think that Mr Fitzgerald's last name should have been "Fama". He would have been the perfect UT player.

Mack Brown @ UNC 8-24-1

Those facts don't gel, sir. Obviously this is a "results" business. Any coach that does not take a bottom-feeder program to 10-win results immediately will be shown the door.

It's axiomatic.

Mack Brown @ UNC 8-24-1

You managed to name two BCS schools that are nowhere near Tennessee in terms of expectations.

VN Store

Back