Otha Peters to Transfer?

Even if Otha wanted to transfer, I don't think he gets released from his LOI at this point. That being said, if he was able to transfer to UT, Dooley absolutely takes him.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I disagree. The Arkansas AD, at this point, is in full-on damage control. The last thing they want is for a player getting the shaft like this to have a story come out of the school saying, "sorry you got screwed, but you can't go where you want to go."

Why could CDD not talk to him - Franklin was calling players at Maryland. I know he has not enrolled at Ark, so why not. Franklin was calling active player. Looks to me NCAA would have more of a problem with that.

Is it against NCAA Recruiting regulations for Coach Dooley to contact Otha?

Dooley and any other school can't contact him and he can't contact either until he's released from that LOI. Everybody would be hangin' by chicken wire.

otha can't contact either. No school can talk to him AT ALL as long as that LOI is still in tact.

If what I read was correct, this didn't stop Arnett's family from making calls to MSU to "hypothetically" gauge interest.

I would add this kid to the roster in a second...but I'm not sure he'd want to after so many idiots tweeted the things they did to him.

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley and any other school can't contact him and he can't contact either until he's released from that LOI. Everybody would be hangin' by chicken wire.

Ha, chicken wire. Peters isn't a bad guy, just made a bad decision in how to handle changing his mind. Most of us made much more offensive decisions when we were 17, just not for the world to see. He's a pig now, and that's not changing. CDD knows better than Franklin when it comes to contacting other schools' signees.

He can be contacted, even with the LOI, if Arkansas gives permission. At least thats the way I read the bylaw stated below.

"13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes.
An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution’s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply."

He can be contacted, even with the LOI, if Arkansas gives permission. At least thats the way I read the bylaw stated below"

haha, yes, Ark will reopen the recruitment of all their signees. That's a great way to get a high quality coach to replace BP :p

He could always go to JUCO for a year and then transfer to Tennessee.

His LOI would still apply, and he would have to sit a year at Tennessee, or any other LOI school. Even if he went to junior college.

Sorry, technically it's an NLI school. I'm just use to saying LOI. Alot of these questions are answered at national-letter.org.

Last edited:
I don't see why, Aaron Douglas used that method to go to Alabama and now Darrington Sentimore did the same thing to get to us and they won't have to sit out.

The rule you're speaking of does apply to the students who did early enrollment.

You are wrong Sweetie. Because he has NOT graduated from high school yet, and only signed an LOI, he has a legit argument if he chooses to pursue, but he would have to do begin the process BEFORE he walks across his high school stage!!!!!

He would not be subject to sitting out because he not yet stepped foot on campus as a student. He's still a recruit, so there a short window for him to get out of it and come back to UT :) if he wanted to.

Thanks for clarifying. :hi:

It's all a moot point anyway. The fanbase raked him over the coals frontwards and backwards, Tennessee is probably the last place he would bounce to, but he's gonna be a hog.

if he's released he can appeal to the NCAA but those don't get approved much in football but it happens every year in basketball.

There is no way Arkansas releases him from his LOI BEFORE they hire a new coach. They will at least want the new coach to have a chance to talk him into staying.

MzTerry....don't you have the Otha family on speed dial? :) J/K

Ha, chicken wire. Peters isn't a bad guy, just made a bad decision in how to handle changing his mind. Most of us made much more offensive decisions when we were 17, just not for the world to see. He's a pig now, and that's not changing. CDD knows better than Franklin when it comes to contacting other schools' signees.

I wouldnt bash him. I would accept an apology to the University and fans via twitter since so many of you follow the recruits, fb, volnation, volquest, insider, 247 rivals and whereever however posts get out..... and just be done with it.

bottom line the BOY can play his tail off and UT could use him now just like 3 months ago... and just let all the messiness be over and move on.

All would be forgiven

Reactions: 6 people
Thanks for clarifying. :hi:

It's all a moot point anyway. The fanbase raked him over the coals frontwards and backwards, Tennessee is probably the last place he would bounce to, but he's gonna be a hog.

everyone was hurt by the switch initially, but Im sure an elite player like him wanted to come back the door would be open. it would be crazier for it not to be. the boy is a 18 kid who made a mistake.. big deal... i would hope our fans would be forgiving.. none of us bloggers are perfect..... hell i know i'm not.

Reactions: 2 people
His LOI would still apply, and he would have to sit a year at Tennessee, or any other LOI school. Even if he went to junior college.

Sorry, technically it's an NLI school. I'm just use to saying LOI. Alot of these questions are answered at national-letter.org.

he would NOT have to sit out a year based on circumstances. if he does it before graduation the NLI / LOI would be like an annulment. never happen, and thats how we should be if UT ended up his school of choice again.

Reactions: 3 people
NLOI website.

National Letter of Intent Home Page

NLI Provision 6 indicates a student may be completely released from his or her NLI obligation, including the one-year Basic Penalty, with approval from the original signing institution. The institution must indicate its decision of “Complete Release” on the NLI Release Request Form. The NLI Policy and Review Committee or the Division I Review Committee will consider appeals for relief from the NLI Basic Penalty when the signing institution denies a student’s request for a “Complete Release.” The Committee will evaluate the extenuating circumstances presented by a petitioning student prior to rendering its decision.

Last edited:
I'm with MZTERRY...Come on down, Otha! Say a quick, "my bad, UT fans. Sorry about that..." All will be forgiven and get to Knoxville ASAP!

Reactions: 1 person
Some guys like Peters, some don't. Im just fine without Peters and never thought it would work out. I just hope some of you guys get over your Peters envy.

VN Store

Back