ESPN Rumor Central: Dooley & staff are mean to the players?

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
OK, he may be on the hot seat. But it's not because he and his staff are mean to the players, as ESPN suggests. LOL

A mass exodus among Derek Dooley's staff at Tennessee may be the first indicator that the head coach's time is limited. The second may be how he and his staff have treated his team.

"Reliable sources with access to Dooley's practices the past two seasons tell me Vol players were subjected to a constant barrage of cursing (four-letter words) by the head coach and many of his assistants," Bob Gilbert of the Daily News Journal wrote.

"One source said the staff toned it down this past season but that it was 'almost non-stop' and 'pretty rough' in 2010."

The loss of coaches, the staff's previous temperment, plus the loss of multiple recruits in the past week has Dooley teetering on the edge.

In fact, it has Outkick the Coverage's Clay Travis (author of "On Rocky Top" and a Nashville radio host) already considering the next person to be in charge in Knoxville.

Travis' star-studded list includes: Chris Petersen (Boise St.), Gary Patterson (TCU), Peter Carroll (Seahawks), Charlie Strong (Louisville), James Franklin (Vanderbilt), Dan Mullen (Mississippi St.), Manny Diaz (DC at Texas), Kirby Smart (DC at Ole Miss), Jim Tressel (formerly of Ohio State), and, yes, even Tennessee legend Peyton Manning.

Travis is not the only one who is continues to openly wonder exactly how long Dooley has at Tennessee.

"Then again, with the moves Dooley has made, you have to wonder if that'll be more than another year or two," Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports wrote.

Last edited:
"Vol players were subjected to a constant barrage of cursing (four-letter words) by the head coach and many of his assistants,"

1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

Reactions: 12 people
No offense to you gb, but that potential coaches list is stupid. Clay is an idiot.

Reactions: 5 people
Wow, just wow. So ESPN just quotes Clay Travis who throws out names like Carroll and Tressel and Manning among a host of others with absolutely no basis for any of them? Does anyone check sources any more?

If there were any here that actually supported Travis, I hope this helps you see the light!!!

You guys bash Travis,but the guy has been pretty spot on about Tennessee and Dooley and anyone that thinks Dooley is gonna make it 4 years here is smoking some good stuff.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm surprised pats, saints, packers & 49ers head coaches weren't on that list

Clay is a tool bag and a complete idiot. he is a closet vandy homer and Franklin love magnet. his list is comedic. he should quit journalism and take up a comedy tour

Cursing the players, big deal, how bout the players grow a set and stop being a bunch of manginas. they should have heard my high school coach. guy would cuss us out all practice long... big deal. its called tough love.

ESPN hates us

Since when does ANYONE who plays football not expect to hear four letter words? My coaches would spew them like there was no tomorrow and grab our facemasks and shake the hell outta them to get your attention. This isn't pop-warner league, these are grown men. If they want to not hear cursing, go be a priest and go to seminary school or something.

for the most part ESPN's rumor central is a joke. They tend to cherry pick little blurbs from message boards and then post it as if it's legit. Or quote know-nothing blowhards like Clay Travis.

I look at it every once in a while for a laugh but I've never really gotten any useful information from it. I got a subscription to ESPN the mag for $2.99/year the past couple of years and it includes an ESPN insider subscription.

Espn hates us because we aint won anything in a long time.We get a rock star coach and start winning big again all that so called Espn hate will change quick.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back