Current Players View of Dooley

Google "straw man argument" and then please stop doing it.

Read OP and then point your argument where it belongs. You guys are blaming the fans for the problems. The coach is simply above question in your book. You've rendered Dooley infallible.

But checkerboards09, he's a great recruiter. You don't need to teach or develop your players once they arrive on campus. They are ready to go the moment they finish high school.
:eek:lol:

I guess if some of you have your way, he won't have the chance. He's basically had ONE off season to "develop" his team, but that should have been plenty of time to overcome the mess our football program was in. smh

Google "straw man argument" and then please stop doing it.
He's making the point that "being negative" and "sounding off" is a matter of perspective. Those who want improvement are sounding off. Those who are fine with letting Dooley lead this team into the gutter, "at least one more year" view everyone else as negative.

I think you need to look up the definition, yourself.

I would if they weren't being developed at all.

It takes a lot of nerve to dismiss Cafego's contribution to Tennessee as a coach in an effort to defend Dooley at all costs.

Don't get me wrong, George Cafego's contributions to the university and fan base is not in question here. And believe you me, I could have made the majority of the kicks Palardy missed this season BUT, I think it's a stretch to put the blame on Dooley's shoulders for missed kicks. Why not blame Dooley for all the dropped passes or missed tackles? Missed kicks is just a strange aspect to put on Dooley. I haven't heard the first person say that Bama woulda beat LSU had Nick Saban had coached his kickers a little better. You think Nick Saban has the foggiest clue on how to kick a football?

I guess if some of you have your way, he won't have the chance. He's basically had ONE off season to "develop" his team, but that should have been plenty of time to overcome the mess our football program was in. smh

Oh yeah, i forgot about year 0.....

Dumb post. Developed or not they are more than likely playing anyway based on our current situation. Do the best you can & throw them in the fire. If nothing else they get some experience & get to learn first hand. It's not like you develop players in a week or even a single season.

Doesn't explain the offensive line or the running backs.

Yeah I know. Not Dooley's fault that returning aspect of the offense failed to make progress. Not after one day. Not after one week. Not after one year. But after two years in Dooley's system. It failed categorically.

But somewhere, I'm certain you'll find a critic to blame. Who will you choose? Basilio? Warren? Swain? Hyams? Or some message board poster daring to hold Dooley accountable?

Are you using Dooley's Algorithms? How did you get 2 offseasons reduced to one?

I'll hang up and listen. :popcorn:

He's had two years to develop an offensive line and a running game.

If he couldn't get that job done, then why on earth do you believe he'll get it done in other areas of the offense?

I am so sick of hearing how Dooley took this job when nobody else wanted it like he was doing us a favor. It's complete BS that nobody else wanted this job. Maybe nobody on Hamilton's list wanted this job but that doesn't mean we hired the most qualified guy that would take it. People that say crap like this are doing nothing but trying to manipulate the fans into thinking Tennessee is a second class job and we shouldn't expect to much. Like it or not James Franklin is a much better coach then Dooley and he attacked the Vanderbilt job with a passion. Franklin would have crawled on his hands and knees to be the coach at Tennessee and there are a bunch of James Franklins out there (minus his d**khead mannerisms). It's true we were not going to get a Meyer, Saban, Spurrier type coach when Dooley was hired but that doesn't mean we got the best and only guy that would take it.

Last edited:
I am so sick of hearing how Dooley took this job when nobody else wanted it like he was doing us a favor. It's complete BS that nobody else wanted this job. Maybe nobody on Hamilton's list wanted this job but that doesn't mean we hired the most qualified guy that would take it. People that say crap like this are doing nothing but trying to manipulate the fans into thinking Tennessee is a second class job and we shouldn't expect to much. Like it or not James Franklin is a much better coach then Dooley and he attacked the Vanderbilt job with a passion. Franklin would have crawled on his hands and knees to be the coach at Tennessee and there are a bunch of James Franklins out there. It's true we were not going to get a Meyer, Saban, Spurrier type coach when Dooley was hired but that doesn't mean we got the best and only guy that would take it.

I am so tired of hearing about James Franklin. Vandy didn't beat any team they weren't supposed to.

Don't get me wrong, George Cafego's contributions to the university and fan base is not in question here. And believe you me, I could have made the majority of the kicks Palardy missed this season BUT, I think it's a stretch to put the blame on Dooley's shoulders for missed kicks. Why not blame Dooley for all the dropped passes or missed tackles? Missed kicks is just a strange aspect to put on Dooley. I haven't heard the first person say that Bama woulda beat LSU had Nick Saban had coached his kickers a little better. You think Nick Saban has the foggiest clue on how to kick a football?

You don't think Saban has a coach working with his kickers/punters during practice?

I believe Fuad Reveiz when he says we have no one working with these kids. Do you really believe Ron Widby, Neil Clabo, Craig Colquitt, Alan Duncan, and Fuad Reveiz would have become the best players at their positions without a coach's guidance?

Talent doesn't just develop through osmosis. Someone has to work to bring that talent to the fore. We're not getting that from this staff in areas we should be getting it with returning players from year 1 to year 2.

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't explain the offensive line or the running backs.

Yeah I know. Not Dooley's fault that returning aspect of the offense failed to make progress. Not after one day. Not after one week. Not after one year. But after two years in Dooley's system. It failed categorically.

But somewhere, I'm certain you'll find a critic to blame. Who will you choose? Basilio? Warren? Swain? Hyams? Or some message board poster daring to hold Dooley accountable?

I partly blame the players & partly accept the fact they were outmatched in most cases. If you're going up against a player that is older, more experienced, faster, & just flat out physically stronger than you your chances of whipping him more plays than he whips you is slim to none.

Imagine if #1 LSU lost their All American safety Reed and their back up safety. Their best defensive back, their best linebacker, both defensive ends, their best Def. lineman for part of the season, their best receiver, their center, the #1 and #2 quarterbacks and they have to rotate 15 freshmen to field a team and they have the toughest rated schedule in the country.....how good would they be this year? This is what we experienced. It's a lot to manage and a big distraction week to week that prevents a coach from focusing on the fine tune things like creating yes "creating" team leaders, enthusiasm, and time to discipline. We were on our heels all year. All of the above was NO fault of Dooley's. Right now Dave Hart's opinion is the only one that counts. I wish they had a site only for season ticket holders to voice opinions. I think it would be a little more patient and realistic.

Are you using Dooley's Algorithms? How did you get 2 offseasons reduced to one?

I'll hang up and listen. :popcorn:

Because these guys who are his recruits were Sophomores which means they have been through ONE off season. Is that difficult math?

Part of the reason the job wasn't attractive was the timing. When Dooley and staff came in, they spent a ton of time trying to salvage a recruiting class.

Obviously, Dooley has been here for two years, but if you're talking about development time, it's basically been one summer.

He's had two years to develop an offensive line and a running game.

If he couldn't get that job done, then why on earth do you believe he'll get it done in other areas of the offense?

Yeah, because Bryce Brown and David Oku have been really helpful.

Agree to some extent about the O-line, but I'm beginning to think it's more about scheme and RBs than about the O-line.

Dooley inherited a team with little to ZERO talent on it. We had and still have less kids on scholarship than most teams in our division. With injuries and youth and NO senior leaders to show the young kids how things are done at this level what did you expect?...

To answer the few of you who dont believe no big names wanted this job, my job deals in that arena, our coaching search specifically so believe what you want I know what I am talking about. The one most cited and talked about is Muschamp who at the time was a big name.

Yeah, because Bryce Brown and David Oku have been really helpful.

Agree to some extent about the O-line, but I'm beginning to think it's more about scheme and RBs than about the O-line.

Or it could be that we have both an atrocious O-line because our O-line coach sucks, and we had a.. let's say "sub-par" running back with Poole.

You don't think Saban has a coach working with his kickers/punters during practice?

I believe Fuad Reveiz when he says we have no one working with these kids. Do you really believe Ron Widby, Neil Clabo, Craig Colquitt, Alan Duncan, and Fuad Reveiz would have become the best players at their positions without a coach's guidance?

Talent doesn't just develop through osmosis. Someone has to work to bring that talent to the fore. We're not getting that from this staff in areas we should be getting it with returning players from year 1 to year 2.

You thinking kicking in high school and kicking in college is any different besides the level of pressure? Both were highly valued out of high school so i know they CAN kick. I think we can both agree on that. So if they could kick a football through yellow uprights in high school, yet struggle in college, you think Dooley is somehow making them worse? I think there's plenty of blame to go around, I just think it's odd that kicking is the aspect of the season you chose to point out as Dooley's fault. No question Dooley had his faults, i just don't know why you'd blame missed kicks on him and not the players themselves.

Or it could be that we have both an atrocious O-line because our O-line coach sucks, and we had a.. let's say "sub-par" running back with Poole.

That may be a fair assessment. Pass blocking seemed okay for the most part, though.

Because these guys who are his recruits were Sophomores which means they have been through ONE off season. Is that difficult math?

Part of the reason the job wasn't attractive was the timing. When Dooley and staff came in, they spent a ton of time trying to salvage a recruiting class.

Obviously, Dooley has been here for two years, but if you're talking about development time, it's basically been one summer.
So, because Dooley didn't have an extra few weeks to a month more notice, he gets a freeby his first year? Uh, who do you think D. Rodgers, Hunter, Rajon Neal, and a handfull of others were? HE recruited them! It was Charlie Bagget who helped bring Rodgers and Hunter onboard. Kiffin was trying, but Rodgers was still a UGA commit at the time.

That's some wicked math you're using there. Step away from Dooley's calculator and no figures will get hurt. :loco:

VN Store

Back