Derek Lance Commits!

CDS on the local kids again. He knows there's gold in these here hills!

High-school baseball and soccer in East Tennessee is loaded with talent. One of these days UT will get a men's soccer team and I promise you they will be good.

High-school baseball and soccer in East Tennessee is loaded with talent. One of these days UT will get a men's soccer team and I promise you they will be good.

What makes you think that East Tennessee is loaded with soccer talent?

I was an all KIL player as a Frosh at school (Karns) before transferring out of the Public School System my Soph year. Granted, I am 30, so this is a little dated, but Farragut and Oak Ridge were both Monsters on the national scene. The Tri-cities area in Kingsport DB had a beastly team as well with all the immigrants working at Eastman.

note: I scored a goal and got 2 assists against CAK and they were 3rd nationally back then. We played in a tourney as we were in different divisions. Heckuva battle as our team was coached by a former MS ST football player so we were a bunch of bruisers and they were much smaller and a finesse team. We beat em up for 90+ minutes... it was a good day

Don't know about high school soccer. Around the country, the best soccer is played on Division I club teams. High school soccer is an afterthought. I understand that in TN you can't play on both. Too bad.

Anybody know how good this kid is? I played at Bearden with two guys that had better stats than this guy that played at LSU and MTSU. Delmonico missed out on so much local talent.

Anybody know how good this kid is? I played at Bearden with two guys that had better stats than this guy that played at LSU and MTSU. Delmonico missed out on so much local talent.

Love your "Animals" avatar - just an FYI

Don't know about high school soccer. Around the country, the best soccer is played on Division I club teams. High school soccer is an afterthought. I understand that in TN you can't play on both. Too bad.

That's a good point. Our best FC's are forced to play in state as most high-school ball around the country is in the fall and club ball is in the spring. Here it's the opposite, but that did have advantages like being able to play basketball, soccer/baseball, and football for your school. It would be like TN having basketball as a fall sport and AAU ball in the spring. "It is what it isn't", to quote our founder...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

note: I scored a goal and got 2 assists against CAK and they were 3rd nationally back then. We played in a tourney as we were in different divisions. Heckuva battle as our team was coached by a former MS ST football player so we were a bunch of bruisers and they were much smaller and a finesse team. We beat em up for 90+ minutes... it was a good day

Link?

Stats are nearly meaningless in HS when it comes to recruiting and scouting. All about tools and projection.

How good is this commit?

My brother played with this kid at BHS the last 3 years, I've seen him play quite a bit. He was the best player on the team last year, had some good pop but his power doesn't translate to the college game especially with the new bats. Should hit for a decent average though because he has a pretty good swing.

I wouldn't call him an elite in-state prospect, but for where the program is at now he's a good building block. Will be interesting to see how he does next year with the new bat rules coming into effect at the HS level.

Thanks for the in-depth response. Much appreciated. If he can hit for a good average, and not provide good power numbers, I will still be happy. I'm pretty much saying what you did. I agree the program is a hair down and needs to take chances like this. Hopefully it works out.

My brother played with this kid at BHS the last 3 years, I've seen him play quite a bit. He was the best player on the team last year, had some good pop but his power doesn't translate to the college game especially with the new bats. Should hit for a decent average though because he has a pretty good swing.

I wouldn't call him an elite in-state prospect, but for where the program is at now he's a good building block. Will be interesting to see how he does next year with the new bat rules coming into effect at the HS level.

From GoVolsXtra:
Lance, a two-time team MVP and two-time All-District 4-AAA performer, hit .366 last season with team-highs in hits (45), home runs (five), stolen bases (15) and RBIs (34). He struck out in only seven of 142 plate appearances and scored 32 runs.

From Jimmy Hyams on Twitter:
UT baseball gets committ: Bearden HS OF-IF Derek Lance. Hit .366 last year, team MVP as jr., co-MVP as soph. Has 4.0 GPA. Team capt this yr

VN Store

Back