'12 LA DT Gerron Borne

Poor kid having to visit again and try to talk the coaches into taking him. Maybe by mid July they will see slow playing him is not a great idea.

He has never visited us...we have always been the one to visit him...it's like we're interested or something

A year with harry hiestand would do wonders for this kid. I know we need immediate help but I think Borne would be good if he was coached up a little. Possibly a red-shirt year. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will our defensive line be built in one class

A year with harry hiestand would do wonders for this kid. I know we need immediate help but I think Borne would be good if he was coached up a little. Possibly a red-shirt year. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will our defensive line be built in one class

Except Borne isn't on the OL.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

CHH coaches o line and anybody identified as Borne.

See what I did there?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

"I'm open to any school, but I also have some top schools," he said. "Ole Miss, Arizona and Louisiana Tech are my favorites right now. My cousin (Lutcher cornerback Jordan Batiste) is committed to Ole Miss. Daniel (Taylor) and I have already said that if we get offered, we're going to go to Ole Miss.

"I'm going to camp at Ole Miss on July 23rd and hope to get an offer then."

Which schools are showing the most intensity in their recruitment of Borne?

"Louisiana Tech, Arizona, Miamiand Tennessee are recruiting me the hardest,"
- Scout

Sounds like we cooled on him.

Edit: Let me rephrase, it sounds like he doesn't have a committable offer just yet. He sounded like he was about to pull the trigger a month or so ago. Tells me we like where we are with a few DTs :)

Last edited:
Hope this is not another Gabe Wright situation. Sometimes pushing kids aside and telling them you may take them later if it is good for you...does not always make a kid feel wanted.

:popcorn:

Hope this is not another Gabe Wright situation. Sometimes pushing kids aside and telling them you may take them later if it is good for you...does not always make a kid feel wanted.

:popcorn:

Gabe Wright and this situation have nothing in common. You're reaching hard on that troll attempt. 1/10 Just weak on your part.

Gabe Wright and this situation have nothing in common. You're reaching hard on that troll attempt. 1/10 Just weak on your part.

Actually I think it is alot like it. We slow played a couple guys toward the end and it ended up costing us when Wright and Dawson went elsewhere.

Actually I think it is alot like it. We slow played a couple guys toward the end and it ended up costing us when Wright and Dawson went elsewhere.

What players specifically did we "slow play" in favor of Wright and Dawson last year?

Also, how would we have even gotten those slow-played guys into school since we ended up two over anyways?
It would've made sense to over-sign with talent like Wright, Jernigan or Dawson but why would we over-sign with guys that we slow played?

What players specifically did we "slow play" in favor of Wright and Dawson last year?

Also, how would we have even gotten those slow-played guys into school since we ended up two over anyways?
It would've made sense to over-sign with talent like Wright, Jernigan or Dawson but why would we over-sign with guys that we slow played?

If I remember right, Leon Mackey was one we held back on to save a spot for Wright and/or Dawson. Would have been a big help (JUCO DE) at a thin position. And yes, the coaches would have definitely made room for desperately needed talent in the front seven.

paul was heavily recruited from the jump until they decided he was too small after his visit.

he tried to commit but was told to go elsewhere .

There still was concern as to whether or not Mackey would (academically) qualify, when those fears were put to rest it was too late...Mackey signed w/ TT.

Paul seemed more like a backup option in case Maggitt didn't work out to me. I prefer the three lbs we got over paul and I bet the staff does too.

We would have taken all of them. Dawson was supposed to occupy Paul's spot.

Those quotes sure seem to indicate that UT is slow-playing Borne.

I think it means UT's staff is really comfortable about where they sit with other highly-ranked DTs from this class (O'Brien, Pipkins, Day, etc.).

VN Store

Back