Wilcox staying in Knoxville

Thanks for staying here Wilcox. I wonder, did he just do this for a raise? I know many coaches flirt with other schools to get more money. I bet Wilcox did LOL

If he stays, I hope he learns that you have to put pressure on the quarterback in order to stop the two minute drill. An average quarterback will beat you if you let him sit back there all day. The defense on the drives at the end of both halves stunk up the place.

Whether Wilcox is the right person to be DC only time will tell. He needs his players and some time. By this time next year, a trend will emerge but for the short term I think we need stability in our staff.

People on here are too quick to judge. They had me believing that Wilcox leaving was a done deal. I, for one, am estatic that he's staying. It's nice to see some continuity for a change. It's going to be interesting to see what he can bring to the table after 1 year of SEC experience behind him plus a little depth coming.:good!:

He didn't get offered the job. So he will stay.

All reports say he withdrew his name from consideration! It's nice that you have come on here to let us all know he wasn't offered,thanks!!! Noone ever said he was offered,but many sources said it was his to turn down!!! Whats your source Einstein? :whistling: waiting!

All reports say he withdrew his name from consideration! It's nice that you have come on here to let us all know he wasn't offered,thanks!!! Noone ever said he was offered,but many sources said it was his to turn down!!! Whats your source Einstein? :whistling: waiting!

Wheres the source that says it was his job to turn down? I can't think anything other than TU has their guy already.

I'm glad he's staying also (mainly out of concern for the continuity and stability of the team.) but coaches have a tendency to "withdraw their names from consideration" as soon as it becomes apparent that they aren't going to get an offer. All this talk about him leaving in the first place seemed to be generating out of Knoxville, not Austin....
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It was mostly the offense turning the ball over and not moving the ball, keeping the D on the field a lot. A few injuries, and played just as many freshman as Tennessee.

I don't get this. Consistent top 5 recruiting classes, loads of in state talent, a class that is usually full and committed by the time spring practice is over and you playing as many freshmen as UT? So your either sarcastic (I don't keep up with Texas or the Big 12), Texas talent is not all its cracked up to be, or the one I am hopeful for since Muschamp will be coaching uf, the former coaching staff was not good at evaluating true talent.

I'm glad he's staying also (mainly out of concern for the continuity and stability of the team.) but coaches have a tendency to "withdraw their names from consideration" as soon as it becomes apparent that they aren't going to get an offer. All this talk about him leaving in the first place seemed to be generating out of Knoxville, not Austin....

Actually I went to high school in Austin, and a lot of their fans were saying that he was on the list. Now how high up on the list may never be known

Good news...let's get him some talent...and let him show he is what some say/think he is....

If he's not the right guy, then he's not the right guy. The sooner he gets out of town the better. I think the same of Dooley. The issue is that no one can really tell that much from this year, so I wouldn't do anything as of right now... but due more to the unknown rather than it "ruining continuity."

Your opinion doesn't make him "not the right guy". He is a good coach. If he wasn't Dooley nor Texas would have want him. Period.

How were fans in Austin privy to who was on the list?

Because in Austin, they post stuff like that everywhere. Telephone poles, The Post Office bulletin boards, supermarket checkouts, it's the main reason if you go missing in Austin, you stay missing. No room for the missing persons flyers.

Tennessee had better players on defense in two games this year...UT Martin and Memphis. UAB a tossup on talent, but they had more subs. Undersized and outmanned in the rest, the defense played well in 8-9 games and won 6. I'm really glad Wilcox is staying. Players get better over time in his system, not stagnant.

One might reasonably suspect it means Texas was unlikely, so he pulled his name out before any denial took place, but he'd still like to jump to a hotter spot if the opportunity beckoned.

the understanding out of UTK is that he did have a decision to make between the two UT's and opted to stay win Knoxville.

the understanding out of UTK is that he did have a decision to make between the two UT's and opted to stay win Knoxville.

A lot of people will doubt this but its probably true. I have faith in the guy. He seems like one of those ambitious types who wont settle for a season he just had.

I am glad he's staying, if we can recruit some players I have no doubt we will be near the top of the S.E.C. annually. By 2012 our defense should be nasty.

So what about the rumored tension between Wilcox and Smith?

Perhaps Wilcox believes in what is to become at UT, and wants to be a part of it. Some folks do still possess loyalty. Take that and not wanting to be labeled as a job hopper probably has a lot to do with it.
I agree with everyone, the D had some holes this year, but I can only imagine it will get better with more talent!!

VN Store

Back