Jason Swain Speaks Out

ITSGR82BATNVOL

MARCH MADNESS - Best two weeks in sports!
Former Vol says police "pick on football players"

A former Vol is using Twitter to chime in on the latest arrests in Knoxville involving Tennessee football players. Jayson Swain was a standout wide receiver for the Vols from 2003-2006. The Huntsville native said he's "not surprised about the brawl and police getting whooped." He went on to say it was "only a matter of time."
WRCB archives could not find any police incidents involving Swain during his UT career.
Swain became critical of some officers in the Knoxville Police Department but was complimentary of the Department as a whole.
"KPD is a good police force but has young punks who want to make name for self. It's unfortunate they sometimes players get sucked in," he said.
Swain added, "Although I've never gotten in trouble, I've seen police officers deliberately pick on football players."
The former Vol does not believe the problem of high-profile athletes getting into trouble with police is unique to Knoxville.
"Some college towns have cases with hometown police while others get along. We so happen have a issue with KPD," he stated on his Twitter account.
The problems are not the responsibility of the coaches, according to Swain. Phillip Fulmer, Lane Kiffin, and now Derek Dooley are having similar incidents happen on their watch.
"I'm not making excuses for the players but there's a problem on BOTH sides. With police and players...Let's think about this... 3 different UT coaches. Same issues. Every school is the same. Same clubs... Ask yourself what is the variable??"

This doesn't fit the thoughts of many on here that the police is perfect.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Of course the police aren't perfect, but on the same hand, if players were actually trying to do the right thing and stay low key, this would not have happened, more than likely. Of course, there are idiots who aren't cops that start crap, like what happened yesterday morning. Our players should have used better judgment, and there is nothing anyone could say that could make me feel any different.

The players definitely were not angels, but there is clearly more to the story than what is being released to the public. About 7 years ago I was a UT student and knew a handful of players and hung out with them a few times. I asked them where the team usually hung out, and was flat out told, "most of us don't go out because you wouldn't believe how many times people try to start fights with us." I had totally forgotten that quote until yesterday, and wouldn't be surprised if that were the case from the other night.

I can believe it. Cops are getting out of controll these days but as a high profile player they have to know this and stay out of those situations. Way to much to lose.

I like Jason swain, but I have to dissagree with him on this one. I bet alot of the time cops are very very leinant on the football players, because just like the rest of us the vast majority of cops are UT football fans. Its only when the crime is outrageous like robbing a couple of country boys for their cheeseburgers, or stomping a off duty cop's brains out do we hear about it.

The players definitely were not angels, but there is clearly more to the story than what is being released to the public. About 7 years ago I was a UT student and knew a handful of players and hung out with them a few times. I asked them where the team usually hung out, and was flat out told, "most of us don't go out because you wouldn't believe how many times people try to start fights with us." I had totally forgotten that quote until yesterday, and wouldn't be surprised if that were the case from the other night.

Yep.The fight starters are Florida and Alabama plants, right?

Of course the police aren't perfect, but on the same hand, if players were actually trying to do the right thing and stay low key, this would not have happened, more than likely. Of course, there are idiots who aren't cops that start crap, like what happened yesterday morning. Our players should have used better judgment, and there is nothing anyone could say that could make me feel any different.

So if the guy was drunk and pulled a gun, you don't think it's okay to kick the crap out of the guy?

I don't know what happened but I'm saying IF. If you don't think that's a form of self defense, I hope no one ever pulls a gun on you. You'll probably end up shot...

Also, did Lebron leaving change your opinion of the Cavs? :p

I like Jason swain, but I have to dissagree with him on this one. I bet alot of the time cops are very very leinant on the football players, because just like the rest of us the vast majority of cops are UT football fans. Its only when the crime is outrageous like robbing a couple of country boys for their cheeseburgers, or stomping a off duty cop's brains out do we hear about it.

Please explain when this took place?

So if the guy was drunk and pulled a gun, you don't think it's okay to kick the crap out of the guy?

I don't know what happened but I'm saying IF. If you don't think that's a form of self defense, I hope no one ever pulls a gun on you. You'll probably end up shot...

Bingo - Cop or not - if some prick is being a punk and pulls a gun/knife out - I am defending myself. I will beat the he!! out of the guy if I am in position to do so.

Hmmm looks a lot like a deleted thread I made last night.

It is sad that dmj may have had good reason to fear police.

The cop was never in the bar. He wasn't drinking. That argument has been squashed with everything I have read. He was outside there talking with a bouncer buddy of his as the whole thing came outside. He hasn't and won't be linked to alcohol as far as I know and have read.

Also, where does it say anything that the off-duty cop pulled his piece. I either have yet to read it, or I just haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

It's not okay. Cops risk their lives everyday, remember? Thus they are above the law and ass beatings.

I'm packin' myself so if it were me, I pull mine and be prepared to use it. Oh wait, I would be in a bar and the commy laws in TN won't let me have it with me. Guess my a$$ gets shot.

The cop was never in the bar. He wasn't drinking. That argument has been squashed with everything I have read. He was outside there talking with a bouncer buddy of his as the whole thing came outside. He hasn't and won't be linked to alcohol as far as I know and have read.

Yeah, that's according to Bar Knoxville and their bouncers. Let's wait and see what is determined to be true once the final report is out.

It's not okay. Cops risk their lives everyday, remember? Thus they are above the law and ass beatings.

There you go into extremes again, like a handful of posters do on this board. Cops aren't above an ass beating, but trying to intervene and stop a fight isn't considered one of those times, period.

Yeah, that's according to Bar Knoxville and their bouncers. Let's wait and see what is determined to be true once the final report is out.

Are you implying Tears McGee may not be the most trustworthy person?

How dare you.

No, that's according to KPD, if I have read the info correctly. I'm sure this juicy little detail wouldn't be left out by UT officials or anyone's lawyer if true. I don't see a drunk off-duty cop doing anything at a bar if he is intoxicated. Seems most are just stereotyping him as a dumbass without any evidence as well, yet based on what is presented to us right now, alcohol wasn't involved with him.

There you go into extremes again, like a handful of posters do on this board. Cops aren't above an ass beating, but trying to intervene and stop a fight isn't considered one of those times, period.

If an undercover cop tries to break up a fight, he like any other person, takes the chance of getting his ass handed to him.

This guy did. And unlike some on here, I'm reserving judgment to see how he handled it and his condition at the time. The fact he puts a badge on doesn't mean jack squat to me.

If an undercover cop tries to break up a fight, he like any other person, takes the chance of getting his ass handed to him.

This guy did. And unlike some on here, I'm reserving judgment to see how he handled it and his condition at the time. The fact he puts a badge on doesn't mean jack squat to me.

So, he is just supposed to serve and protect if he is in uniform?? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So, I guess if you are ever in real trouble out on the streets, you would advise an off-duty cop not to intervene because he doesn't have his uniform on?? You know, that way if things do go bad, it won't be a justified ass beating right??

So, he is just supposed to serve and protect if he is in uniform?? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So, I guess if you are ever in real trouble out on the streets, you would advise an off-duty cop not to intervene because he doesn't have his uniform on?? You know, that way if things do go bad, it won't be a justified ass beating right??

If he hasn't properly identified himself and steps in a fight, then so be the ass whipping he is about to get.

You've got to get this all cops=heroes shat out of your mind.

VN Store

Back