Recruiting Football Talk VII

Checked to see what UDFA Cowboys signed to contracts. Hoping for a RB and I said yes when I saw they had signed a RB, lol it was Nate Peat from Missouri good grief wrong RB from Missouri imo.

The other RB from Missouri signed with the damn 49ers.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I don’t know what happened. Don’t seem to have a viable plan at RB.

Reactions: knoxvol52
This would be a retirement desination. Perfect Country.
I've had offers to go back. If I wasn't married I would be in Idaho, Eastern Washington, Montana or New Zealand. My wife, unfortunately, listens to the siren-song of Alabama.

Her parents are old though. She's been open to the idea of doing something when they're gone.

I've had offers to go back. If I wasn't married I would be in Idaho, Eastern Washington, Montana or New Zealand. My wife, unfortunately, listens to the siren-song of Alabama.

Her parents are old though. She's been open to the idea of doing something when they're gone.
I would struggle being that far away from my family. But, I love the idea of their society. Mountains, sea. Culture embracing its culture, and others cultures. Again, if I were single perhaps. Its not quite Euro, not quite Aussie. A nice in between. Without the copperheads and blue funnel web spiders.

I hope it’s a very long time before we ever have such a poor showing in the draft.

I mean, I get that a number of guys who likely would’ve been drafted had they not stayed, (Bru because injury, Omari, etc) hurt our list of draftable players…. But it sucks when podunk sec teams like uscjr, Kensucky, and Missouri have more guys picked.

And I feel like it’ll be used against us in recruiting. Not for nothing but Tillman, Jaylen Wright, Hooker, and Hyatt had insane years, respectively- yet none of them were drafted before the third round.

opponents gonna use that negatively in recruiting with pitches like “nfl teams don’t respect our offense etc”

Again SIAP, found a list of Vol UDFA signings as of last night:
McCallan Castles - Eagles
Dee Williams - Seahawks
Aaron Beasley - Seahawks
Ramel Keyton - Raiders
Jacob Warren - Patriots
Jaylen McCollough - Rams
Jeremiah Crawford - Panthers
Gabe Jeudy-Lally - Titans
Jabari Small - Titans

I think Roman Harrison is headed to the CFL.

I hope it’s a very long time before we ever have such a poor showing in the draft.

I mean, I get that a number of guys who likely would’ve been drafted had they not stayed, (Bru because injury, Omari, etc) hurt our list of draftable players…. But it sucks when podunk sec teams like uscjr, Kensucky, and Missouri have more guys picked.

And I feel like it’ll be used against us in recruiting. Not for nothing but Tillman, Jaylen Wright, Hooker, and Hyatt had insane years, respectively- yet none of them were drafted before the third round.

opponents gonna use that negatively in recruiting with pitches like “nfl teams don’t respect our offense etc”
Im more concerned (or not) about the future of our roster talent. We need to see better results in recruiting.

Could be worse. Virginia Tech had zero drafted.

AC/DC with Bon Scott was great. Brian Johnson done very well replacing Bon.

Bon Scott had one of the best singing voices I ever heard, too bad he passed away from drowning in his own vomit.
Really cool when he’d play the bagpipes on “It’s a long way to the top.”

I've seen so many draft people describe Joe Milton as having "prototypical" NFL arm strength. And then you've got people saying he should make the move to tight end.

Joe has top 5 NFL arm strength right now... today. He's not a tight end. I don't personally see him putting it all together to be an NFL QB but it has been weird to see people gloss over his freakish arm talent while pushing AR all the way up the draft boards last year.

Next years draft should definitely be better.
Potential draftable seniors:
Omari Thomas
Bru McCoy
Omar Norman-Lott
Cooper Mays
John Campbell Jr.
Javontez Spraggins

If they have big years they might declare:
James Pearce* (he going Top 10)
Tyre West
Jakobe Thomas
Holden Staes
Joshua Josephs
Andre Turrentine
Chris Brazzell Jr
Dylan Sampson
Donte Thornton
Jaxon Moi

Will probably be UDFA:
Dominic Bailey
Elijah Simmons
Bryson Eason
Miles Kitselman
Gaston Moore (maaaybe)
Keenan Pili (age and injuries might keep him off draft boards)
Dayne Davis

Obviously a bunch of these guys will return or transfer or get injured or fade during the season. This time last year I would have sworn to you Omari Thomas, Tyler Baron, and Aaron Beasley would have bee drafted this weekend.

Screw Dan Mullen and screw UF, BUT...

This is a terrible take and I bet this dude is on Napier's payroll doing damage control.

Mullen had probably the greatest run of draft picks in Mississippi State history and Mullen had a ton of guys drafted out of his Florida classes.

This douche is cherry-picking one draft where... most of Mullen's recruits are either already in the league or transferred from Florida. Yeah, Mullen isn't having a bunch of his UF recruits drafted because... well... his last class was 3 years ago. The best recruits from those classes are gone. Every left from those classes are lower-rated or less-talented 4-5 year depth guys.

This still comes down to Napier, who hasn't replaced the talent with talent. It's not Mullen's fault they're total buttcheeks today, it's Napier's. If Mullen were still at UF they'd have had 4-6 draft picks this weekend.
I agree with your assertion for the most part. The portal has changed things, too.

However, that was Mullen’s weakness. He was not a great recruiter, and that’s why UF was a better situation for him than UT. In his last year or two, he was having to rely on transfers. Also, after year 2, Heupel had a number of guys drafted that he inherited.

I've seen so many draft people describe Joe Milton as having "prototypical" NFL arm strength. And then you've got people saying he should make the move to tight end.

Joe has top 5 NFL arm strength right now... today. He's not a tight end. I don't personally see him putting it all together to be an NFL QB but it has been weird to see people gloss over his freakish arm talent while pushing AR all the way up the draft boards last year.
I think Joe Milton has the strongest arm in the NFL. I think he'd beat Rodgers, Richardson, the whole league.

Another draft where the NFL continues to enjoy the value they get from the Vols being down for so long.

Jaylen Wright, arguably the best RB in the draft isn't taken until the 4th round (I will be a Fins fan hoping to see him go off on teams all year)
Joe Milton, Round 6 is a bit later than expected but not too surprised he slipped a bit
Kamal Hadden, another great value pick in Round 6...coming off injury I think not doing workouts at the combine probably hurt him a bit

But to see all these undrafted Vols get the chance with teams before the day was even over shows that the brand isn't dead and we're in "buy low" phase of the rebuild still (in the eyes of NFL folks)

Castles to the Eagles (great spot for him honestly)
Keyton to the Raiders
Warren to the Patriots (could be a good spot, will have to see how Mayo is)
Dee to the Seahawks
McCollough to the Rams (great spot)
Crawford to the Panthers (team isn't great, but could be a place he can earn a roster spot)
Jeudy-Lally to the Titans (hope he balls out)
Beasley to the Seahawks (great spot, hope he earns a spot)

VN Store

Back