Recruiting Football Talk VII

Thanks. I'll let him know. That didn't cross my mind. Maybe the beekeeper had the same thought. I wonder how often that happens?
I have know many beekeepers getting Africanized bees out southern Georgia, mostly packages. It is not uncommon, but it isn't really a big deal, just suit up go get the queen.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
What do you consider Tony pollard and Calvin Ridley? Asking for a friend lol
Ridley is getting up there in age, had a mediocre season last year (I know - it was his first season back), and didn’t sound too excited about being in Nashville when signed out of free agency.

And Pollard had a very unproductive season last year even though he was the main RB in a very productive offense.

If I were still a Titans fan, I’d be more excited about Tyjae S. than Pollard, even though Tyjae’s knees give him a smaller window of productivity.

I hope it works out for them, because they need some positive/successful front office decisions, but it still doesn’t feel right to me.

One last thing. Can you envision Harbaugh trading Herbert to Vikings for Vikings #11 pick and future picks and draft his boy J.J. at #5 spot?
No. His adoration for the quarterback who won him his first championship of any kind isn’t lip service…but it doesn’t trump the plus/minus of that move or his overall football intelligence. Herbert is a known proven quantity. I could more see him trading the pick to Minnesota for a haul.

Different honeys also make different flavored meads. I've dabbled with mead-making. Honey is a fascinating creation.

Those two hives could have been different just because some workers keyed in on different things which lead the rest of the hive to focus on different flowers OR if they were two different races (Italian, German, Russian, etc) they might have different preferences.

I remember we had an Italian and Russian colony at one point. They had different personalities. One of them I could walk right up and take comb out without any protection and they didn't care. I could pick bees up and put them down where I wanted them and they wouldn't sting. The other was a little more sensitive. They didn't care for me being around. Wouldn't sting, but they'd start coming out of the hive and buzzing around my face. They were also bigger.
We started with Italians and Russians. Now I'd say we have hybrids. lol They are very tame, good honey producers.

Just put out a couple of new empty hives out and flavored the entrances with lemongrass oil. I figure we should be able to catch a couple of swarms now that we're getting into swarm season.

My FIL long kept several hives at our former house (which he owned) before we got our own place. Great honey! We would help him a little, but mostly two of his close friends worked them with him. We never encountered anything on that scale, and I've never heard of it. We're out of town but I'll ask him when we get back.

Smoke from pine straw generally settles bees down if they get rowdy. He had some handheld tins with sprayer that they would burn pine straw in and use sometimes if they had to go into the boxes. Pine straw may have only been incidental, and any smoke would work. Idk. It smokes easily. Uncanny how the bees would slow and settle

In a bee suit your guy might make some pine straw (or other) small smoky fires around the boxes and see what happened. I mean something more than a small sprayer, if the smoke from a sprayer didn't seem like enough. It couldn't hurt. I've never seen bees rampage. I've seen a few threaten someone standing by accident in their "bee line" or route near the hive as they were gathering from their find and returning to unload in the box.

They get pretty wild when a queen leaves the hive, but as soon as they find where she has landed, they literally swarm her making a giant cluster. And they're easy to handle like that. If you can get a scoop with a net that includes her and drop her into a new box, they will all pour in. It looks like you're a pouring a liquid stream of bees. An amazing thing to see.
That is true but, if they are Africanized, smoke may help a little but generally they don't give a sh!t about smoke. I had one of these myself and known others who have as well and rowdy doesn't really do them justice.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
That is true but, if they are Africanized, smoke may help a little but generally they don't give a sh!t about smoke. I had one of these myself and known others who have as well and rowdy doesn't really do them justice.
Yeah, rowdy would be a huge understatement. He made it sound like it's 2,500 bees all flying stinger first straight at your jugular at the same time, kamikaze style, 😂

it has been documented in nature as grasshoppers turn into locusts, pigs into warthogs, cows into water buffaloes.

Bees do as their Queen does and says. If the Queen is menstruating, or is generally as crazy as most of them. They will freak the **** out.
It total matters what time of year and day your fooling with them. For the next little while you should be able to work them in a tee-shirt and shorts.

Ridley is getting up there in age, had a mediocre season last year (I know - it was his first season back), and didn’t sound too excited about being in Nashville when signed out of free agency.

And Pollard had a very unproductive season last year even though he was the main RB in a very productive offense.

If I were still a Titans fan, I’d be more excited about Tyjae S. than Pollard, even though Tyjae’s knees give him a smaller window of productivity.

I hope it works out for them, because they need some positive/successful front office decisions, but it still doesn’t feel right to me.
It’s more talent they’ve had on offense collectively in a very long time. But 1000 yards and 8 tds is mediocre??

So you're saying don't kick their truck?

That's what's so weird about his story. They aren't just being normally protective or even really aggravated. They're attacking on an insane level.

Raw honey from bees is great. A couple years ago my dad had 2 different types of honey in the same season from hives right next to each other. One was as clear as water and the other ways as dark as molasses. Pretty big difference in taste too.

Real raw honey tastes so much better than store bought stuff. Some of it makes your throat tingle (no @Glitch ). My mom uses the clear honey instead of sugar in a lot of stuff she bakes. She thinks the dark honey is too strong, but uses it in tea and coffee.
Most of the commercial stuff has a lot of corn syrup in it. If you want to know if its pure honey put some in the refrigerator for awhile and it will crystallize, corn syrup honey won't. Also the less filtered it is (good stuff left in) the more it is prone to crystalize.

VN Store

Back