2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Predicting the past is definitely a higher odds game than predicting the future. He’s fine. I think what you and I notice is that they used to be a few days ahead of the friend network, but now they’re embargoed until it’s done. Apparently if they push that, they lose access. Smart move by AD, but frustrating for fans.
Yea, I would say a combo of that and a combo of friend network definitely provides more misses for sure. It doesn’t mean it wasn’t true at the time, but as we’ve seen it leads to misses for sure.

You may end up being correct, but that's a pretty shallow defense of your stance.

What would Felix Okpara's numbers look like if he played for North Florida, Charlotte, or Hofstra instead of playing for Ohio State in the Big10 against Zach Edey, Kel'el Ware, Clifford Omoruyi, etc.?

Additionally, most tend to look at offensive stats to say a player is good/bad, but Okpara was 2nd in the Big10 in blocks/gm, 6th in defensive box +/-, 8th in defensive rating and top-10 in both offensive and defensive rebounding %.

It isn't all about scoring, especially at his position in today's game, where that is probably more true than any other. Okpara is an eraser and a rebounding machine. We are bringing in plenty of capable scorers. He doesn't have to be a 15 ppg guy to make a significant impact.

Edit: I see now that you were talking about Mashack. I, too, thought you were talking about Okpara. My mistake. All the above still stands, just not in relation to your comment as it turns out.
I'm big on Felix. True Big for Barnes

This is what they have currently…

PG: Cadeua
SG: Davis/Trimble
SF: Jackson/Powell
PF: Withers
C: Washington/High/Brown

They’ve talked about Thiero coming in as a starting 4, if that happens then it would appear to be like a serious logjam for minutes 1-3 unless they’re going to bench one of their 2 Top 15 five stars.

This is why I want Tyson. I’m just not convinced Lanier is a sure thing, and we seem to have a clearer path to playing time for Tyson right now as things stand today. It still feels like he is going to UNC, but from his perspective Tennessee has to look like the slightly more attractive option right now to get minutes. But that might not be the most important thing to him. Maybe he just ends up being a North Carolina kid who simply wants to play for UNC.

I like Felix a ton, the fact him and Carr are friends and played together is big.

Feels like having him be your 5 gives Igor, Dubar, and potentially JP the ability to focus on offensive scoring inside from the 4 spot when on the court with him.

Last edited:
You may end up being correct, but that's a pretty shallow defense of your stance.

What would Felix Okpara's numbers look like if he played for North Florida, Charlotte, or Hofstra instead of playing for Ohio State in the Big10 against Zach Edey, Kel'el Ware, Clifford Omoruyi, etc.?

Additionally, most tend to look at offensive stats to say a player is good/bad, but Okpara was 2nd in the Big10 in blocks/gm, 6th in defensive box +/-, 8th in defensive rating and top-10 in both offensive and defensive rebounding %.

It isn't all about scoring, especially at his position in today's game, where that is probably more true than any other. Okpara is an eraser and a rebounding machine. We are bringing in plenty of capable scorers. He doesn't have to be a 15 ppg guy to make a significant impact.

Edit: I see now that you were talking about Mashack. I, too, thought you were talking about Okpara. My mistake. All the above still stands, just not in relation to your comment as it turns out.
I still prefer Awaka but if we have Zakai, Lanier, Tyson/ Dubar and Igor then I guess having the center with a higher offensive ceiling won’t matter. Sounds like Felix is a more athletic Kyle Alexander and that’s all we’d really need with that much offensive power.

Yeah and if Shacks offense stays the same I just can't see him getting 20 plus minutes a game. Literally an entirely new team this year really besides ZZ as a starter. Behind that is unknown right now
I can see Mashack averaging in the 8 PPG range if asked to. That's not bad if he plays 20-25 minutes. He needs to put up a higher volume of shots, the 3.6 per game that he took this year won't cut it.

A lot of you graciously educated me on the North Carolina hate for Rick Barnes earlier in the thread, and I saw more of that commentary on their forum this morning as I scanned their discussion about Tyson. I genuinely have no idea if we should feel optimistic, but it would be amazing to give them all a very fresh reason to hate Rick even more.

A) Lanier doesn’t have to beat out both Gainey and Mashack. He has to beat out one of them. He and another can play the other wing spot. Granted, he could get beat out there too, but vying for more than one position increases the odds. Okpara has to win the 5 position to start. He’s not going to start at any other position.
B) Okpara is the least credentialed of the projected transfers. So it’s not just about who he has to beat out, but how good the transfer is himself. Igor and Lanier would both come in with far better credentials. So does Dubar, actually.
C) The staff is high on JP. Barnes even commented after the Purdue loss about using him next year like Purdue uses Edey. This comment was made with Awaka and Aidoo still on the roster. Don’t sleep on JP.
D) Igor is walking into a perfect situation to start at the 4. His chief competitor would be another transfer (Dubar).

If we get Lanier, Igor, and Okpara, to go with Dubar, my lineup guess is:

ZZ
Lanier
Mashack
Igor
JP

Gainey, Okpara, Dubar, Carr in the rotation off the bench.

If we get that group, plus Tyson, who knows. Hard to imagine a 10-man rotation, but I don’t know who you leave out.
All valid points, but seniority and knowing the system might give guys a head start, but at the end of the day, you earn minutes and starting jobs on the court in practice. And everyone knows who deserves those minutes and jobs when the dust settles.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Yea, I would say a combo of that and a combo of friend network definitely provides more misses for sure. It doesn’t mean it wasn’t true at the time, but as we’ve seen it leads to misses for sure.
Definitely. I think you and I would’ve rated Igor as higher than 75% Friday, and Felix similarly. Knowing it’s done is great, but they used to share “looking very good” at about the same time as you or I hear that. It’s just a different cycle now. The static created by the guys like Basilio makes is hard because he has to have a scoop per day to keep his audience. That leaves us with some imaginary scoops that hurt the cycle too.

This is what they have currently…

PG: Cadeua
SG: Davis/Trimble
SF: Jackson/Powell
PF: Withers
C: Washington/High/Brown

They’ve talked about Thiero coming in as a starting 4, if that happens then it would appear to be like a serious logjam for minutes 1-3 unless they’re going to bench one of their 2 Top 15 five stars.
In fairness fans/coaches of UNC can look at UT and say…

PG: Zeigler/Boswell
SG: Gainey/Carr
SF: Mashack/Dubar
PF: Milicic
C: Okpara/Estrella/Phillips

And then also say we are pursuing/gonna add Lanier much like we are saying about Thiero.

AP is now the only reliable recruiting guy on Volquest. Rob Lewis has totally given up and Ramey just doesn't seem into chasing high schoolers and portal guys down as much. The other two are fine for day to day things regarding how the team is doing but behind on recruiting.

VN Store

Back