Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Here's a post from Freak 20 years ago when he was thinking about expanding his budding site. I would ask him if he still feels the same but I'm afraid of what his answer would be.

I was thinking of adding another forum besides VolBoard and the Pub. Any comments or suggestions on this? Good idea or bad idea?

I was thinking of one of these:

Professional Sports
SEC/other college sports
Computers/Technical - computer help and anything to do with technology
Politics - not real fond of this idea
GameDay Forum - to talk about any games in progress.

Anybody like any of these or have any ideas? Or should we leave it the way it is for now?

Here's a post from Freak 20 years ago when he was thinking about expanding his budding site. I would ask him if he still feels the same but I'm afraid of what his answer would be.
@Freak
Looking back, did you ever imagine our political forum would be the haven of civility while the game day threads are the home of malice and strife?

We still have the FF and RF for those who want to abandon hope.

Unsolicited update on my car:

So..i have changed my own oil every single time in my life until i was doing that job in columbia last year at 46 years old and putting over 1000 miles a week on my car ...decided that since its $50 to get it changed or ~40 to do it myself that i would finally let another man change my oil...since then have paid for the change 5 or 6 times always at same place. Fast forward to a week ago when i got my oil changed then less than 100 miles later....check engine light and limp mode ensued. No bueno...checked all fluids at next exit, temp gauges etc...everything seemed normal. Told yall this.

This weekend had time finally and went to advanced to get the code checked. Only 1 code came up (much praying, begging and praising God took place). Spend some time online in a forum for my 8th gen civic. Turns out there are 2 parts most likely...VTEC timing solenoid, the VTEC oil pressure switch it houses are 2 main culprits. The solenoid has a gasket that contains a screen which oil *** passes thru. So went to my man Chris at advanced who is about 55yo and previously worked as a mechanic before his back went to crap and now works there. Both parts listed above are in the $160 range each before taxes etc. Ouch. My boss maintains my vehicle so he will pay for it but damn.

So talking to may man Chris up there and I describe to him exactly what occurred and told him where i was as of then..asked him what would he do if it was his car?? He said " change the oil again to make sure its right...those parts are dealer/direct order only...but I have the gasket*** with the screen built in here in stock. I would try that 1st."

So i changed my oil again...despite it having maybe 300 miles on a new change. Turns out, i previously checked it when my engine was hot...since i was driving...and therefore didnt think anything of it reading a little high on the dipstick. Well...once i drained said oil...it turns out that the guys at the oil change place put AT LEAST 1 full quart more oil in my car than full. It takes about 4 quarts when warm. They used at least 5. This is why i changed oil myself for my entire life.

So...i changed my oil properly, installed the $8 gasket on the VTEC solenoid....and my check engine light went off. Have been driving it today normally and so far have had no problems. God answered my prayer it seems and i got really lucky. So far anyway. I will let yall know if it comes back on etc but for the 1st time in a week my car is running normally and no check engine light. My entire life up to this point says theres no way i fixed it for $8 and an oil change but here we are so??

Edit: also ...change your own oil. The older you get, the more its a pain in the ass...but if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Last edited:

So..i have changed my own oil every single time in my life until i was doing that job in columbia last year at 46 years old and putting over 1000 miles a week on my car ...decided that since its $50 to get it changed or ~40 to do it myself that i would finally let another man change my oil...since then have paid for the change 5 or 6 times always at same place. Fast forward to a week ago when i got my oil changed then less than 100 miles later....check engine light and limp mode ensued. No bueno...checked all fluids at next exit, temp gauges etc...everything seemed normal. Told yall this.

This weekend had time finally and went to advanced to get the code checked. Only 1 code came up (much praying, begging and praising God took place). Spend some time online in a forum for my 8th gen civic. Turns out there are 2 parts most likely...VTEC timing solenoid, the VTEC oil pressure switch it houses are 2 main culprits. The solenoid has a gasket that contains a screen which oil *** passes thru. So went to my man Chris at advanced who is about 55yo and previously worked as a mechanic before his back went to crap and now works there. Both parts listed above are in the $160 range each before taxes etc. Ouch. My boss maintains my vehicle so he will pay for it but damn.

So talking to may man Chris up there and I describe to him exactly what occurred and told him where i was as of then..asked him what would he do if it was his car?? He said " change the oil again to make sure its right...those parts are dealer/direct order only...but I have the gasket*** with the screen built in here in stock. I would try that 1st."

So i changed my oil again...despite it having maybe 300 miles on a new change. Turns out, i previously checked it when my engine was hot...since i was driving...and therefore didnt think anything of it reading a little high on the dipstick. Well...once i drained said oil...it turns out that the guys at the oil change place put AT LEAST 1 full quart more oil in my car than full. It takes about 4 quarts when warm. They used at least 5. This is why i changed my own oil myself for my entire life.

So...i changed my oil properly, installed the $8 gasket on the VTEC solenoid....and my check engine light went off. Have been driving it today normally and so far have had no problems. God answered my prayer it seems and i got really lucky. So far anyway. I will let yall know if it comes back on etc but for the 1st time in a week my car is running normally and no check engine light. My entire life up to this point says theres no way i fixed it for $8 and an oil change but here we are so??
That's awesome. Ya boy at
Advance Auto hooked you up!

So i changed my oil again...despite it having maybe 300 miles on a new change. Turns out, i previously checked it when my engine was hot...since i was driving...and therefore didnt think anything of it reading a little high on the dipstick. Well...once i drained said oil...it turns out that the guys at the oil change place put AT LEAST 1 full quart more oil in my car than full. It takes about 4 quarts when warm. They used at least 5. This is why i changed my own oil myself for my entire life.

God loves fixing a car.

Check out the Peyton GOAT shirt Nico has on in this interview!! I want a long sleeve T like that!

a

Lol...AP asks Nico what QBs influenced him and he names 3 NFL QBs not named Peyton...i get that PM was a statue and Nico is higly mobile so their games are not similar...but THEN he says " oh yeah and Brady...bc hes the GOAT." Lmao. He is literally wearing a Peyton GOAT shirt when he says this. Self awareness is not a Nico strength i guess. 😃

Last edited:
I wager I've danced a little closer to death than most. My heathen spirit ain't never shook!

Theres still time and hope for you yet bud. If He can love and forgive me...He can love and forgive anyone. I am in no way saying that I deserve grace, nor that I have anything that you don't Dink. Just saying that Jesus spent most of his Earthly ministry with liars, thieves and prostitutes etc. He loves those that most folks turn their backs on. Honestly I need to get my own spiritual life back on track. I believe that time here on Earth is nearing its end for many.

Theres still time and hope for you yet bud. If He can love and forgive me...He can love and forgive anyone. I am in no way saying that I deserve grace, nor that I have anything that you don't Dink. Just saying that Jesus spent most of his Earthly ministry with liars, thieves and prostitutes etc. He loves those that most folks turn their backs on. Honestly I need to get my own spiritual life back on track. I believe that time here on Earth is nearing its end for many.

We may have different beliefs, but that doesn't take away my appreciation for the sentiment that comes with prayer.

You're a good dude, brother Marcus.

So i changed my oil again...despite it having maybe 300 miles on a new change. Turns out, i previously checked it when my engine was hot...since i was driving...and therefore didnt think anything of it reading a little high on the dipstick. Well...once i drained said oil...it turns out that the guys at the oil change place put AT LEAST 1 full quart more oil in my car than full. It takes about 4 quarts when warm. They used at least 5. This is why i changed oil myself for my entire life.

Edit: also ...change your own oil. The older you get, the more its a pain in the ass...but if you want something done right, do it yourself.
My body is too broken to change my own oil. But I've been going to the same place for several years, and they don't appear to be dumbasses.

VN Store

Back