Recruiting Football Talk VII

Interesting. You say it was closer to high school level? Please elaborate. Show me the guy that matches Ruth’s abilities on the mound and in the batters box. Show me a pure hitter that’s as good as Maria or Williams.

I am sorry but you are wrong. Regardless of eras, generational players can play in any era. Think about Ruth with today’s state of the art medical and recovery techniques. Imagine guys like Ty Cobb with today’s bats, things used to help hitters and state of the art training facilities. You are assuming those all time greats wouldn’t be that great with all these advances?
Everything I've read about him said he lacked the drive and commitment to improvement that is required to be successful today. The best athlete can't just show up and dominate anymore. You have to put in insane amounts of work to be the best professional athlete in any sport these days.

I very well could be wrong, but I don't think he was known as the type who would he willing to do that amount of work to be the best.

This is not the typical argument of "today's athletes would dominate older ones." This is specifically about Ruth in particular. I do agree that the great athletes of decades ago would be just as successful today. But not the ones who just showed up with little to no effort in the offseason because they were naturally gifted.

Everything I've read about him said he lacked the drive and commitment to improvement that is required to be successful today. The best athlete can't just show up and dominate anymore. You have to put in insane amounts of work to be the best professional athlete in any sport these days.

I very well could be wrong, but I don't think he was known as the type who would he willing to do that amount of work to be the best.

This is not the typical argument of "today's athletes would dominate older ones." This is specifically about Ruth in particular. I do agree that the great athletes of decades ago would be just as successful today. But not the ones who just showed up with little to no effort in the offseason because they were naturally gifted.
The man was willing to shoot himself full of sheep testicle bc he thought it would give him an advantage…. He probably would have trained harder with todays technology.

Reactions: rikberry31

VN Store

Back