Recruiting Football Talk VII

Tealander should have started over Herring every game. I stated that during the season. Herring was atrocious stopping the run at the point of attack. His tackles were always after gains. On top of that the kid couldn’t cover anything in the passing game.
Telander definitely should not have started over herring. No need to be that harsh. That doesn’t mean herring didn’t have his weaknesses.

I think he did an ok job for a sophomore that hadn’t gotten a ton of playing time yet and wasn’t expected to start going into the season. That said, with our depth and talent increasing at the position, and mostly running 2 LB sets, I’m not super surprised by the move.

Telander definitely should not have started over herring. No need to be that harsh. That doesn’t mean herring didn’t have his weaknesses.

I think he did an ok job for a sophomore that hadn’t gotten a ton of playing time yet and wasn’t expected to start going into the season. That said, with our depth and talent increasing at the position, and mostly running 2 LB sets, I’m not super surprised by the move.
I’ll have to disagree. Run stopping which is what our LBs needed to do was never any good with Herring on the field. With Telander on the field he gap fit really well. Reminded me of a less experienced Aaron Beasley. But like you said with the depth we have now, I am also not surprised by it.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
AJ Johnson was slow. The difference with him was he always was in place to make a play. He was football smart. He didn’t get ate up on blocks. Herring isn’t football smart like that and always gets picked up on blocks. Go look at the bowl game when he tried to gap fit…. Never won at the point of attack
Agree here, him & AJ has one thing in common and that is they both played for UT. That’s where it begins and ends. From the beginning it’s been understood that little bro was the prize, big bro the throw in. Nate & Edwin Spillman the same thing. And I’m talking from a pure football/ sting factor here. Not bashing the kid whatsoever, he provided exactly what we needed once Pili went down. Actually produced faster than I thought he would. If BJM doesn’t offer I think that tells the story. I see him playing well at a MTSU/Louisville though

Last edited:
In a 5 week period next season, UCLA has to play at Baton Rouge, then back in Los Angeles against Oregon, then at Penn State, then back in Los Angeles against Minnesota, then in New Jersey at Rutgers.

~12,540 total flight miles in 5 weeks

I think I would transfer before I had to fly that much.

Last edited:
In a 5 week period next season, UCLA has to play at Baton Rouge, then back in Los Angeles against Oregon, then at Penn State, then back in Los Angeles against Minnesota, then in New Jersey at Rutgers.

I think I would transfer before I had to fly that much.
Chip Kelly agrees

The Greatest Showman: A Story Of Self-Worth, Equality, And, 51% OFF
The Greatest Show is gon be in Neyland this fall tho, Laney Boy. Get ya tickets. 🎟️

AJ Johnson was slow. The difference with him was he always was in place to make a play. He was football smart. He didn’t get ate up on blocks. Herring isn’t football smart like that and always gets picked up on blocks. Go look at the bowl game when he tried to gap fit…. Never won at the point of attack
AJ was very good with angles

VN Store

Back