Potpourri

Lord! The snow! I just couldn’t!🥶
I've been here for 9 years (though I am a CT native) and the snow hasn't been all that bad. Usually just 1 or 2 big storms but mostly it's just cold and windy!! 🥶 But it's also what I'm used to, so, YMMV! Truth be told, I have been considering moving somewhere with a more temperate climate once I hit my 40s. I love the upper east coast but the cold is starting to wear me down.

Maybe Tennessee??? I am a Titans fan ... ;)

I've been here for 9 years (though I am a CT native) and the snow hasn't been all that bad. Usually just 1 or 2 big storms but mostly it's just cold and windy!! 🥶 But it's also what I'm used to, so, YMMV! Truth be told, I have been considering moving somewhere with a more temperate climate once I hit my 40s. I love the upper east coast but the cold is starting to wear me down.

Me and 700 of my associates were involuntarily “made redundant” a few decades ago, so early retirement was granted without any effort on my part. I had always enjoyed vacationing on the Maine coast, so living here was an easy choice. I pay a kid with a plow to clear the driveway. I shovel the back deck. Wood stoves are a cozy indulgence in Feb. Life is good.

Me and 700 of my associates were involuntarily “made redundant” a few decades ago, so early retirement was granted without any effort on my part. I had always enjoyed vacationing on the Maine coast, so living here was an easy choice. I pay a kid with a plow to clear the driveway. I shovel the back deck. Wood stoves are a cozy indulgence in Feb. Life is good.
I love to hear that. Maine is a great place to live (and I did actually live there for a bit when I first got out of college). Now I take a "work-cation" there every year for two weeks in June. Just love it.

Come on down!! Our snow removal consists or two guys with shovels and a dump truck of sand. It’s great!!

Hope you got to see some of the eclipse, I know it didn’t pass directly over the coast but you likely got some of it.
It was strange. Warmest day of the year so far, downed trees and mud everywhere from the recent wet snow. Mrs. and I sat on a bench in the front yard, enjoying the scylla and crocuses just popping up. When the near eclipse began, the temperature dropped about 20°F in five minutes and the light got eerie, kind of like 1950s black and white TVs, for those of you young enough to remember such.

It was a good reminder of our very small rôle in the grand scheme of things.

It was strange. Warmest day of the year so far, downed trees and mud everywhere from the recent wet snow. Mrs. and I sat on a bench in the front yard, enjoying the scylla and crocuses just popping up. When the near eclipse began, the temperature dropped about 20°F in five minutes and the light got eerie, kind of like 1950s black and white TVs, for those of you young enough to remember such.

It was a good reminder of our very small rôle in the grand scheme of things.
This was a shot from Northern Maine @1reVOLver , that is Jupiter to the South.

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpeg
    IMG_3443.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I am an amateur astronomer. I acquired a large deep sky telescope about ten years ago to watch the night sky and learn more about astronomy. I have to say I learned the hard way how difficult it is to photograph images in the night sky, so many variables in play each night. You have to deal with atmospheric conditions which change by the hour which requires learning which filter to use on your scope and camera as well as knowing how temperature, humidity and ion activity behaves differently each time As well as the countless lense changes required to find the sweet spot which changes constantly. I would say for every 50 pics I take, maybe one comes out ok at my stage of experience, but here are a few I have taken over the years that came out good….you will need to blow up the second one to see why it was taken….they are circling one another. Little guy will be consumed one day.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I am an amateur astronomer. I acquired a large deep sky telescope about ten years ago to watch the night sky and learn more about astronomy. I have to say I learned the hard way how difficult it is to photograph images in the night sky, so many variables in play each night. You have to deal with atmospheric conditions which change by the hour which requires learning which filter to use on your scope and camera as well as knowing how temperature, humidity and ion activity behaves differently each time As well as the countless lense changes required to find the sweet spot which changes constantly. I would say for every 50 pics I take, maybe one comes out ok at my stage of experience, but here are a few I have taken over the years that came out good….you will need to blow up the second one to see why it was taken….they are circling one another. Little guy will be consumed one day.
Those are so cool!!!
You know MIT has all their classes on line for free. No registration (obviously no credit hours) but lecture notes and class materials. The Geology classes (my interest) are great! I bet the astronomy classes would be good too!

Those are so cool!!!
You know MIT has all their classes on line for free. No registration (obviously no credit hours) but lecture notes and class materials. The Geology classes (my interest) are great! I bet the astronomy classes would be good too!

Lucy!! Thank you for this tid bit. I will be checking this out :)

I’m also a rock hound

Those are so cool!!!
Geology is a great study, I have purchased many books on geology over the years to learn more about the latest techniques for aging the earth and learning about its history over the past 4.7-4.5 billion years. It started as research to understand the aging techniques used in geology to better understand the true age of the earth because I was studying Origin of Life Sciences and there was such a need there to validate the ages. I learned so much studying plate tectonics and such and it was interwoven into the ability to fully understand the radiometric dating and half lives of the elements. So much pseudo science out there on those topics. Thx for the referral to the MIT programs, I was using a bunch from Cornell and Oxford. I’m sure MIT programs are top notch as well.

Geology is a great study, I have purchased many books on geology over the years to learn more about the latest techniques for aging the earth and learning about its history over the past 4.7-4.5 billion years. It started as research to understand the aging techniques used in geology to better understand the true age of the earth because I was studying Origin of Life Sciences and there was such a need there to validate the ages. I learned so much studying plate tectonics and such and it was interwoven into the ability to fully understand the radiometric dating and half lives of the elements. So much pseudo science out there on those topics. Thx for the referral to the MIT programs, I was using a bunch from Cornell and Oxford. I’m sure MIT programs are top notch as well.
It blew my mind to learn that plate tectonics is a relatively new field of study.
Always fun to keep learning!

It blew my mind to learn that plate tectonics is a relatively new field of study.
Always fun to keep learning!
I don’t bring these topics up around fundamentalist evangelicals (some of my best friends and neighbors) because of the obvious tension it would create….but yeah, it’s fascinating study.

Ooooh! Thanks!
This is for @Lucy , enjoy…..look up the definition of the anthropic principle first, do that and then you see what an interesting venue to study It is. It has been the single most interesting field of study now in my lifetime, well, maybe outside of WBB 😉

Last edited:

VN Store

Back