Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Oh, Tara.

With the change of conferences and all that will entail, and then with all the NIL and transfer rules and, and ...

Helen Keller could have seen this was coming.

But somehow, it's still a bit of a blow as a longtime fan of VanDerveer and her excellently run program. She is an absolute giant in the sport and, like VolBall09 said, leaves some really big shoes to fill. That said, Kate Paye and Tara can probably finish each other's sentences, so the Cardinals' coaching transition is going to be the smoothest in history. How fitting.

Much respect, and genuine love, to Tara VanDerveer. Hope she enjoys a long, happy retirement. ♥🌲

I knew this was coming, although I thought she would last one more year. This realignment is so ridiculous on so many levels. The travel expenses will be enormous considering that it affects all sports, even the non-revenue ones. They should have done this just for football since they are the reason for all the upheaval. If the conferences remained the same for all other sports there would be no problem, but the powers that be, the football guys always get what they want. It doesn't affect UConn because our football program sucks, and the Big East is all about basketball anyway. Sorry about Tara, she should have had a few good years left in the PAC12.

Her first 42 wins were at—-hold onto yer hats, Laydeees 'n gennulmin—-

a Div. II college.

I wish her a long and happy retirement.
Well deserved.
Did Tara go straight to Stanford from D2?
Wonder if any of Stanford's assistant coaches want to head East muhahah
Probably not. Her longtime assistant is set to take over the program. Tara had a succession plan in place.

He was going to pass her this year anyway. I wonder how much NIL had to do with her decision?

I think the conference realignment had the most to do with the timing.

She had lamented several times that it was getting harder for Stanford to keep up because they could not utilize the portal like all teams.

Very difficult to get admitted to Stanford grad programs as a grad transfer and I believe Stanford as an institution will only allow students to transfer in their first or second year of college so they are on the Stanford track once they hit their degree course classes.

Really limited what they could do with the portal and even teams with really good HS recruiting are bolstering their rosters with 1-2 portal stars every year. Like PaoPao at SC.

She was an assistant at Ohio State for two/three years before going to Idaho, briefly, then was hired as head of Ohio State before going to Stanford.
Right. So the implied comparison of a D2 coach having crazy success at Stanford was a tiny tad misleading. Left out a decade or so of steps.

And Brink didn’t do her any favors while walking out the door.

Brink graduated. Not taking advantage of the extra COVID year is not the same as walking out on a program.

In any case, Stanford's problem wasn't in the frontcourt (though losing Betts after the 2022-23 season was a definite blow). VanDerveer's biggest problem over the last three seasons was her inability to recruit and develop an elite point guard.

Brink graduated. Not taking advantage of the extra COVID year is not the same as walking out on a program.

In any case, Stanford's problem wasn't in the frontcourt (though losing Betts after the 2022-23 season was a definite blow). VanDerveer's biggest problem over the last three seasons was her inability to recruit and develop an elite point guard.
I’m talking about the comment she made, she said one of the mains reasons she’s not coming back is the 3 hour practices, so I’m not sure if most of the team felt that way,

I knew this was coming, although I thought she would last one more year. This realignment is so ridiculous on so many levels. The travel expenses will be enormous considering that it affects all sports, even the non-revenue ones. They should have done this just for football since they are the reason for all the upheaval. If the conferences remained the same for all other sports there would be no problem, but the powers that be, the football guys always get what they want. It doesn't affect UConn because our football program sucks, and the Big East is all about basketball anyway. Sorry about Tara, she should have had a few good years left in the PAC12.
I’m sure she had mixed emotions but I am going to tell you don’t wait too long to retire. You never know how long your health will be good. I know a lot of folks who waited to retire and within a couple of years had a major health issue and never got to travel, pursue new interests Etc. that they had always planned on doing.
When you can afford it do it!!

I’m sure she had mixed emotions but I am going to tell you don’t wait too long to retire. You never know how long your health will be good. I know a lot of folks who waited to retire and within a couple of years had a major health issue and never got to travel, pursue new interests Etc. that they had always planned on doing.
When you can afford it do it!!
She’s gonna be water skiing and hanging out at her cabin instead of flying cross country, dealing with NIL demands, and working the transfer portal. Sounds peaceful 😌

When I read pieces like this, it just demonstrates how oblivious WNBA players are to reality. They saw what Clark did for WCBB viewership and should be welcoming her with open arms. Instead, it’s just another example of current and former players downplaying her significance. And they wonder why they have no viewers!

When I read pieces like this, it just demonstrates how oblivious WNBA players are to reality. They saw what Clark did for WCBB viewership and should be welcoming her with open arms. Instead, it’s just another example of current and former players downplaying her significance. And they wonder why they have no viewers!
The viewership had a lot to do with them promoting her on all platforms the least few months, the views would not have been there without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: maple
Sadly, I doubt it. I've talked to too many who just tuned in to see what all the fuss was about. If they had watched CONN/Duke, they,'d have sworn off women's sports for life.
As a vigilante watcher of WBB interest, I would predict that it won't stay at this top peak every year (i.e., games bigger than any other sport men's or women's except football), but that there are robust trends about attendance and TV ratings outside of games involving Reese or Clark that bode well for WBB. Crowds of 10,000 plus and/or sellout crowds at small arenas have become increasingly commonplace for a variety of teams, not just SC, LSU, and Iowa. Important games between rated teams, almost all the NCAA games, and all the conference tournament titles are all dramatically trending upward in regard to tv ratings and attendance. Furthermore, with so many exceptional freshmen players this year, the sport will continue to produce stars that folks can follow for 4 to 5 years, unlike most other big college sports.

The viewership had a lot to do with them promoting her on all platforms the least few months, the views would have not been as been without it.
That’s what is supposed to happen with the biggest draw in a sport. That’s their job to promote it. Why wouldn’t they? She more than deserved it.

VN Store

Back