Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I didn’t mean to say that and haven’t heard that. I’ve heard they are very happy and believe they got a great coach. I might never know if that was their number one or not. I’ve known since the beginning some of the definite “no” candidates, but still don’t know the hire.

The thing about that is and I am not saying you stated it this way intentionally but some of the supposedly definitely “no” candidates were not under consideration. If any sources are using coaches as a definite “no” that weren’t involved in the process how can they clearly say one or the other way if this was DW top choice.
But speaking from the standpoint of education/athletic administration at a public institution, there is no feasible way the AD was turned down by multiple candidates in a 72 hour window for this job. It just doesn’t not work that way. For example, they could’ve interviewed 4 to 5 candidates in 24-48 hours. Once those interviews concluded, you reach out to your top 1-2 or 1-3 candidates. You make an offer to likely one of them and again give them time to decide if they will accept or not. There is no way DW interviewed a candidate and then only a few hours later they came informed DW they were rejecting the offer. This person would sit down with their agent and decide if the terms meet their expectations. Professional do their due diligences before making final decisions. But let’s say he was turned down, so now we are to believe DW hurried to the 2nd and 3rd option which also said “no?” All in 72 hours? That doesn’t add up.
I believe somewhere in the middle there were 2-3 candidates they really liked. It’s possible they got #1 or #2. I think we already know that #3 has been leaked. We’ll find out at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovol
So anything that a coach has been hired already or are we still in the determining stage? Still a long list should be down to three of four names.

DeerPark also generally has quality information if not as much as they used to.

Outside of that we are all screaming into the abyss.

@DeerPark12 has been well respected on here for as long as I can remember. SO much so, that when he told me I was overthinking it about the PR signs signaling Danny White was going to fire Kellie... I actually quit posting for several days. That's how much I respect him.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 1.22.11 PM.png

@DeerPark12 has been well respected on here for as long as I can remember. SO much so, that when he told me I was overthinking it about the PR signs signaling Danny White was going to fire Kellie... I actually quit posting for several days. That's how much I respect him.

View attachment 632330

Heh, I like how you wrapped your praise for DP into a reminder that you were right and he was wrong. And you even added a screenshot - just to make it extra clear.

The thing about that is and I am not saying you stated it this way intentionally but some of the supposedly definitely “no” candidates were not under consideration. If any sources is using coaches as a definite “no” that weren’t involved in the process how can they clearly say one or the other way if this was DW top choice.
But speaking from the standpoint of education/athletic administration at a public institution, there is no feasible way the AD was turned down by multiple candidates in a 72 hour window for this job. It just doesn’t not work that way. For example, they could’ve interviewed 4 to 5 candidates in 24-48 hours. Once those interviews concluded, you reach out to your top 1-2 or 1-3 candidates. You make an offer to likely one of them and again give them time to decide if they will accept or not. There is no way DW interviewed a candidate and then only a few hours later they came informed DW they were rejecting the offer. This person would sit down with their agent and decide if the terms met their expectations. But let’s say he was turned down, so now we are to believe DW hurried to the 2nd and 3rd option which also said “no?” All in 72 hours? That doesn’t add up.
I believe somewhere in the middle there were 2-3 candidates they really liked. It’s possible they got #1 or #2. I think we already know that #3 has been leaked. We’ll find out at some point.
Unfortunately, my access is based on me trying to pester things out of someone who doesn’t want to run afoul of confidentiality, but also would like to tell. The “no’s” come from me asking, what about X, and him saying “no”. It’s literally that simple. As for process, he’s been speaking to agents for over a month. Obviously the firing was planned and the date chosen based on buyout terms. The search didn’t start the day after.

View attachment 632330
If you want to know what uniform combination is being used Saturday? He’s your man…otherwise?
ad24da36-b624-474f-bab2-c846e19b96ee_text.gif

Could have been lost in the mix of all the insider's information last night. It seemed like you had backed down from your we're on our number candidate once the "buzz" around Stephens went into full effect. My apologies if not.
No. I did say that we had an internal contingent trying to escalate Kara. That seemed to fade quickly and I think was handled well.

Heh, I like how you wrapped your praise for DP into a reminder that you were right and he was wrong. And you even added a screenshot - just to make it extra clear.

LOL. I really did stop posting about it though that's how credible I know he is. I said I must be wrong on this and just be wishful thinking.
200w.gif

I’m going to say there are probably a lot of coaches that look at Kellie’s record, challenges with injuries, lack of NIL and the fact that DW dumped her after a decent year and say that is a pretty short leash and not a lot of loyalty. Maybe a pass on that job.
Kinda like what happened to our program after Fulmer was fired. I think there's a lot to what you said.

No. I did say that we had an internal contingent trying to escalate Kara. That seemed to fade quickly and I think was handled well.

My bad. The crazies were out in full effect last night with Marshall's coach. The fact you think we have our coach already and there's radio silence on social media, tells me they got someone they consider a very good coach and they're being strategic about announcing. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, my access is based on me trying to pester things out of someone who doesn’t want to run afoul of confidentiality, but also would like to tell. The “no’s” come from me asking, what about X, and him saying “no”. It’s literally that simple. As for process, he’s been speaking to agents for over a month. Obviously the firing was planned and the date chosen based on buyout terms. The search didn’t start the day after.

Fair point. My only hesitation to this information which is pretty credible is two of the definitive “no” candidates were both involved in the first coaching search. Neither got the job. We hear the second time neither was given consideration from some and from others they turned it down. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. So asking what about “X” and being told “no” makes sense. They couldn’t get a job they never officially applied for or were officially contacted to apply for having been turned down for that job previously. You would say “no” when you know there is no guarantee you will get a job the second time around. DW was not going to interview one person for the job. I do know at a public institution in education/athletics if a decision is made before a job is opening then nothing is official until the vacancy is made public. So setting up interviews in a 72 hour span in another state still from a feasibility perspective does not justify this rumor of being turned down by multiple candidates. DW got one of his top 1-3 options officially.

Last edited:
Love how games are being played now. Does anybody know except a few who has interviewed and who are really being considered. There are some outstanding coaches out there at every level. Some of course more proven at power 5 not sure who will be coach but I for one will welcome and support regardless of level there from. Relax everyone. In CHRIST Alone
When DW fired our coach, he said we wouldn't hear from him again until the next hire was made. In the absence of information, people just make sh*t up.

I’ll be glad when this totally irrelevant and no pressure coaching search is over so Volnation can get back to talking spring football and how some 5th year walkon is dominating the line of scrimmage.

I’ll be glad when this totally irrelevant and no pressure coaching search is over so Volnation can get back to talking spring football and how some 5th year walkon is dominating the line of scrimmage.
But dude, coaching searches on VN are the best! Although ultimately it ended terribly, the Jones to Pruitt search was some of the best online content out there!

Reactions: Ratvol
Fair point. My only hesitation this information which is pretty credible is two of the definitive “no” candidates were both involved in the first coaching search. Neither got the job. We hear the second time neither was given consideration from some and from others they turned it down. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Some what about “X” couldn’t get a job they never officially applied for or were officially contacted to apply for having been turned down for that job previously. I do know at a public institution in education/athletics if a decision is made before a job is opening then nothing is official until the vacancy is made public. So setting up interviews in a 72 hour span in another state still from a feasibility perspective does not justify this rumor of being turned down by multiple candidates. DW got one of his top 1-3 options officially.
You’re definitely right that a “no” can be generated from either side and presented in the best light by a party as they desire. When you reference “interviews” that typically happens pretty late in the process. What happens early is that someone from our side vets possibilities through an agent. I’d assume several potential candidates were pruned there. I definitely agree that we have not been “turned down by several candidates”. In fact, I feel pretty comfortable that we’ve made either one or two offers only.

I felt like Kellie had earned another year based on injuries and player health issues, what we know about the evolving NIL situation with the program, and the culture she'd built with the team over the last five years (as well as what would be considered very good conference finishes and NCAA tournament success at just about any other program besides Tennessee). That said, I was ambivalent, and could certainly see the argument for moving on based on all the things that have already been rehashed here dozens of times.

The more folks here have talked about potential replacement candidates, the more I can see why a move may have been made this year, of all years, as opposed to giving her one more year to turn it around, including:

1a) The dissolution of the PAC-12 creates an almost unprecedented scenario of potentially a lot of coaches being open to making a move, whether they don't want to be traveling across the country (in the ACC or B10) or they've been downgraded (to the WCC) and may struggle to find continued success. If we wait a year, we're potentially missing out on an opportunity to go after coaches like Gottlieb, Rueck, Close, or Payne (or even Roberts or Ethridge, who haven't really come up). They might all stay put, but if you're going to make a move for them, now's the moment.
1b) Coaches in conferences with PAC-12 teams joining them may also see this as the right moment to make a move rather than having to do a bunch of West Coast travel as part of conference play (e.g., out of the ACC or B10).

2) It seems like Auriemma could hang it up after Paige leaves, and VanDerveer could also retire any day now. If you wait a year to fire Kellie, you risk having to compete with UConn and Stanford for the best hire. I suppose this would especially be true if coaches like Berube, La Roque, or even Ralph, were on our target list (those three seem less likely, but you never know).

3) This is maybe less specific to this year, but is timely: with the dawn of the era of NIL, we're seeing some coaches or programs who have historically been excellent recruiters start to drop off. That might not be all NIL related, but it also feels like a moment when those coaches (e.g., Frese, Walz) might be looking for a fresh start, especially somewhere with better NIL resources (hopefully like us, if we're figured out our issues).

Then again, they might not have considered any of this, and just felt it was the right moment to move on.

Just a guess on my part
They probably have an agreement in principle.
Now the contract is being drawn up. Signatures of certain school employees.
Sent to new coach. Agent and maybe lawyer reviews. Any questions resolved and maybe new contract written. And finally when all the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted then make announcement. And maybe wait until the new coach is there for the announcement.
State school…Doesn’t contract have to be approved by AG or can UT lawyers do it?

Maybe in the football forum, but here, in the Lady Vol forum, we’ll be talking about this hire and what players we’ll have clear until the beginning of the season.

VN Store

Back