Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I couldn’t disagree more. This has been on Danny’s radar since the Ohio State loss in early December and probably escalated to a multiple 🚨 fire in the next game against MTSU when we were 4-5 on the season. Again, there’s nothing to suggest he’s in scramble mode. Of course time is of the essence now, but it’s been four days since he fired her. The fact there’s been no leaks or hire tells you this is going outside the Lady Vol tree, (which is good). Hiring a good coach, that’s not connected to the program takes time. It took KY two weeks and they landed a huge fish. We are good.
Considering she couldn't get out of sweet 16 with 2 Wnba players round of 32 with 1 and next year 0 on roster decision wasn't hard. Geno is in Final 4 when half his roster injured.

What I want (and I think the same may hold for Lucy) is that the new hire is a clear upgrade over Kellie (based on her resume at Tennessee) and not a lateral move where you have to cherry pick the record to make it seem like a clear cut upgrade (i.e. a Kara Lawson type)
Exactly. LV fans wouldn't be just internet nags if DW sets himself up with a Who? and Why? hire. Those will be very legit questions.
O God no! WTF! 😩 the only former Vol out there worth a hoot is Kara.
With you my friend. This has all been depressing today, but probably a needed back to earth moment. If Jeff and Kara are the "home runs" then we are probably going to en up with neither and instead the exact up and comer I've always thought. I'm still saying FLJ, the Syracuse coach is the one. Or it will be a top tier up and comer like her, but one with little or no players to bring with her and with mid-ish recruiting. Long, old school process. BTW, I still consider Kara an up and comer. With awful offense.
Looks like someone been reading the trillie dilly or whoever’s burner account
What is trillie dilly? What's this twitter acct in the know?

Seems like she’s happy at USC or why repost…

Or maybe the places to go on the rocket are to E TN? Seriously, we were never going to uproot all the good going on in LA at USC to Knoxville.

Last edited:
If it’s Jeff Walz he best not be playing games. Multiple people said he legitimately wanted this job years ago and we didn’t even give him consideration. Well, if we’re offering now… best take it while you can. These opportunities rarely come around twice in one’s lifetime. I can see TN being his dream job, and I think he’d be a grand slam hire (on paper).
His Kentucky ( worked and schooled all over the state) roots run deep and Louisville will unload the bank to keep him as they are rebuilding the Louisville basketball image.

Reactions: Deebowbear
🚨 🚨

The PR analyst in me says if our Vol insiders are legit, the AD could be tossing out Kara as an option to make it look like a slam dunk when he hires Walz. This would make sense given many here (probably representative of the TN AD circle) don’t seem to like him. Even so, he matches everything Danny White loves. He’s a proven winner and top 10 current coach. That’s like being a moth drawn to a flame. It would be a major win for DW to take him from UL so he’s likely willing to go against some at TN not wanting him.

They’re either priming us for Walz, or playing us for stupid. It’s not Kara.

Bookmark it.

I wouldn’t be mad at it. Anybody over Kara at this point.

Wouldn’t either, in my brain it just all clicked together. Almost 80% career win percentage, excellent Xs and Os.

She’s pretty much always first or second in her league outside of this season. The drop off this season makes me wonder if she was distracted.

Like maybe distract by an AD at a large state university that just got a bunch of really good NIL news and now needs a coach that can take them back to the Final Four.

She’s also one of the few really good coaches who seems likely to leave. Idk why, but she just hasn’t ever seemed to be in love with Maryland. Mostly seems like she loves the game.

She has a temper and many here would be very displeased due to some very, VERY old recruiting issues. SWG story is for another day.

Have spent 3 days on Volnation, can’t get anything done, haven’t even done my taxes. 🤪

Skipping a few pages, but will go back. It’s looking like it may be harder to replace Kellie with a ”better” Coach, than certain people thought.

Anyway, I liked the Molly Miller video, she doesn’t appear to be just a pretty face, sounds like she knows basketball. She’s also married with two small children, and been winning as a Coach in a small pond. Could she win, and recruit, in the SEC? At least there’s money for that now. Might require more patience, but might pay off.

Then, there’s Becky Hammon, certainly a big hire, if she’ll come.

Right now, just waiting………….

Last edited:
Holly was not fired for cause...

Tennessee discloses buyout owed to Holly Warlick in termination letter

Hi Earl, thanks for the info.

On another note, do you still think the Board would never go for Kara? Has there been much turnover since the dust up? Would DW really stick a finger in eyes like that?

It's so weird that everyone being hyped to today is actually a finger in the eye candidate - Jeff, Brenda, and Kara. Ya'll sure Geno's not lurking out there somewhere just to make it complete?

Have spent 3 days on Volnation, can’t get anything done, haven’t even done my taxes. 🤪

Skipping a few pages, but will go back. It’s looking like it may be harder to replace Kellie with a ”better” Coach, than certain people thought.

Anyway, I liked the Molly Miller video, she doesn’t appear to be just a pretty face, sounds like she knows basketball. She’s also married with two small children, and been winning as a Coach in a small pond. Could she win, and recruit, in the SEC? At least there’s money for that now. Might require more patience, but might pay off.

Then, there’s Becky Hammond, certainly a big hire, if she’ll come.

My neck hurts from staring at this darn phone. I don’t even want to know what my screen time is going to be on Sunday.

The only thing good about Kara would be is she does have a top rated class coming in, and if somehow she brings them with her that would be good, but that’s the only reason I can think of.
I agree. I just don’t want to see a bad product offensively anymore. Top rated players or not. I’m tired.

Exactly. LV fans wouldn't be just internet nags if DW sets himself up with a Who? and Why? hire. Those will be very legit questions.

With you my friend. This has all been depressing today, but probably a needed back to earth moment. If Jeff and Kara are the "home runs" then we are probably getting the exact up and comer I've always thought. I'm still saying FLJ, the Syracuse coach is the one. It will be a top tier up and comer like her, but one with little or no players to bring with her and with mid-ish recruiting. Long, old school process.

What is trillie dilly? What's this twitter acct in the know?

Or maybe the places to go on the rocket are to E TN? Seriously, we were never going to uproot all the good going on in LA at USC to Knoxville.
The fan support at UCLA for womens basketball is terrible don't know how it is at USC. She would be moving into a place with huge support if she can make recruiting work here.

Reactions: krichunaka

Molly Miller in one hand, Becky Hammond in the other. Now there's a wide ranging field

Just FYI: It's Hammon, not Hammond -- no "d." Gotta get the name of our next coach right! (my attempt to speak it into existence 😅)

The only thing good about Kara would be is she does have a top rated class coming in, and if somehow she brings them with her that would be good, but that’s the only reason I can think of.
I have always liked her and she really knows he game . She is also very smart. I Would not be upset if she comes here.

🚨 🚨

The PR analyst in me says if our Vol insiders are legit, the AD could be tossing out Kara as an option to make it look like a slam dunk when he hires Walz. This would make sense given many here (probably representative of the TN AD circle) don’t seem to like him. Even so, he matches everything Danny White loves. He’s a proven winner and top 10 current coach. That’s like being a moth drawn to a flame. It would be a major win for DW to take him from UL so he’s likely willing to go against some at TN not wanting him.

They’re either priming us for Walz, or playing us for stupid. It’s not Kara.

Bookmark it.
On the other hand, it could be setting us up to be happy with Marshall’s coach…….

I just wish they had this same energy five years ago when it was clear Fulmer was hiring a mid-major coach. It lets me know the degree to which many fans glossed over Kellie’s overall body of work simply bc she was a LV alum. If not for her S16 run at Mo St, it would not have made any sense to hire her.

I don’t remember anyone saying, “if we’re gonna go the mid-major route, we should’ve kept Holly.”
Actually, I did say, "If Kellie is it, we should've kept Holly." (back pat...back pat ...)

Here’s my daily update: Tennessee fans wanted a home run hire! I ask again what do you call the bases loaded with your designated hitter at the plate? A grand slam! The Tennessee athletic administration and AD are conducting the biggest women’s basketball search in this era. The numbers once made public are going to jump off the screen. Stay tuned!
I'm ready for it

VN Store

Back