Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

So the big donors didn't have faith in Kellie?

Assuming by what you individuals posted AD Danny White had to relieve CKH of her duties for them to donate the big NIL money.

Makes sense, I would't invest into something I wasnt sure of.
Where, who started the rumor about the big NIL donors not giving because of Kellie? Honestly, this sounds like conjecture that grew legs. If leaked by the athletic department it is a big CYA. If leaked by the donor pretty tacky and kicking someone while they’re down.

Never going to happen, but if we got Staley the single most fun day in the history of twitter would immediately occur. I tell you some of those "fams" would have to hospitalized.

Also, I wouldn't particularly want either if they didn't bring a bunch of their players. It's players we need.
Like I said, just a gut feeling. I have no inside knowledge of what’s going on.

Reactions: glv98
Where, who started the rumor about the big NIL donors not giving because of Kellie? Honestly, this sounds like conjecture that grew legs. If leaked by the athletic department it is a big CYA. If leaked by the donor pretty tacky and kicking someone while they’re down.
Take a lap Post #955

Last edited:
The local reporters have been saying it. Sadly, it all makes sense now. Earl(who cmon bro, show up) told us the last couple weeks NIL was finally coming together. Then sure enough, Coop got a car deal. I wanted to think NIL loosening up was going to give KJH one more chance, but instead, she got fired. Appaarently the only way NIL got flowing was the promise of a new coach.

IMO, this all started happening after the cursed 1.1 second. Fair or unfair, that image was so, so strong and ultimately defining for KJH. I was in another state the next week w people who only slightly engage in WBB and its the first thing they brought up with me. Not just the game, but KJH and that head dropped image. I'll bet the wheels got set in motion right there. Donors notified, agents contacted. Train could have been slowed with a decent NCAA tourney run, but that wasn't to be either.

I don't think DW makes this move without two things: sufficient NIL in place and sufficient interest shown by major coaching players.

Fortier's record/performance at Gonzaga is very impressive. She'd be at/near the top of people I'd want to interview, if she were interested. But she's got the husband as assistant coach thing--which could or could not be a deal-breaker.

If I were conducting this search, my first priority would be to sound out Hammon---with a pledge for considerably more money than she's making now. See if there is any interest there.

Then I would would sound out Vic and West--and if either was interested I'd interview him, of course, and use that as part of my consideration of the age issue. Both would demand a seriously large pay raise to pull them from their current jobs. Vic is surely making top dollar at Texas already--and I don't see him being interested. You'd have to think Moore would probably give us 4/5 years max, and Vic a max of 6. When you figure it would take three years to develop some real momentum, you'd be looking at some fairly short stints. My feeling is that they're too far along in their careers for this job, but I might be persuaded otherwise in an interview.

Then I would see who among the several younger coaches who have proven to be successful is interested. You would hope that a few of them would be, and you lean heavily on the interviews and other vetting of each to find the one with the "it" factor.

We're in this 16-year fix because we didn't conduct a proper search for the last two coaching hires--which was really stupid.
I do not know which big names have contacted TN about Job but that several have. This job is so attractive now the appeal of being the coach who brings Lady Vols back to Top.

I do not know which big names have contacted TN about Job but that several have. This job is so attractive now the appeal of being the coach who brings Lady Vols back to Top.

With the massive interest uptick in women’s basketball this is the right time for the right coach as well. People are watching, if the Lady Vols are going to make a move, this is the year.

It’s now or never for the brand and I think DW is committed to it being NOW for the Lady Vols!

@madtownvol ??

Someone was kicking in NIL money, RJ/JS/DW did not come free and not just the use of a loaner car. Also, 5 star recruits Boyd/Brooks and Chastain required cash. I don't trust anything about NIL written on social media, everyone just speculates and eventually stories get created and everyone acts like it is all factual but forget that there is never any proof or you know, evidence, just a bunch of hearsay on the internet.

Someone was kicking in NIL money, RJ/JS/DW did not come free and not just the use of a loaner car. Also, 5 star recruits Boyd/Brooks and Chastain required cash. I don't trust anything about NIL written on social media, everyone just speculates and eventually stories get created and everyone acts like it is all factual but forget that there is never any proof or you know, evidence, just a bunch of hearsay on the internet.

Facts ⬆️

Now pass the salt.

Reactions: Amb3096
The ability to spot raise NIL funds for portal gets and occassional recruits has been explained over and over. As you know, none of the hs recruits except Boyd would have qualified for any payments yet.

Also, as far as having no facts or proof, earlier you challenged me to name the SC player salary and I did. Which you confirmed. Alot is rumor and speculation, but not all.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
The local reporters have been saying it. Sadly, it all makes sense now. Earl(who cmon bro, show up) told us the last couple weeks NIL was finally coming together. Then sure enough, Coop got a car deal. I wanted to think NIL loosening up was going to give KJH one more chance, but instead, she got fired. Appaarently the only way NIL got flowing was the promise of a new coach.

IMO, this all started happening after the cursed 1.1 second. Fair or unfair, that image was so, so strong and ultimately defining for KJH. I was in another state the next week w people who only slightly engage in WBB and its the first thing they brought up with me. Not just the game, but KJH and that head dropped image. I'll bet the wheels got set in motion right there. Donors notified, agents contacted. Train could have been slowed with a decent NCAA tourney run, but that wasn't to be either.

I don't think DW makes this move without two things: sufficient NIL in place and sufficient interest shown by major coaching players.
Still seems a bit of cover for DW. Wonder who told the local reporters that?
We’ll see about major coaches. Major to me is the big four and then a couple more that are too old. None of the big four are leaving where they are. Next up for me would be Ivey but I can’t see her leaving Notre Dame. The others often mentioned have up and down records a lot like Kellie. I guess the Oregon St coach might be looking for a landing spot after the break up of the PAC 10. I need to go back and look at his record again but I looked at it a couple of weeks ago and don’t remember it being that different than Kellie. Can’t see any California coaches coming to Tennessee if they pay any attention to politics unless they feel like a fish out of water in California.

Real talk….but don’t let that deflect from those banging the NIL excuse. Again, believe what you see and not what you’re told.

Still seems a bit of cover for DW. Wonder who told the local reporters that?
Truthfully DW didn't need a cover. The lack of result against ranked teams and the lack of recruiting was enough. Once again, the whole NIL thing seems like Occam's Razor to me. The most likely explanation.
Can’t see any California coaches coming to Tennessee if they pay any attention to politics unless they feel like a fish out of water in California.
Agree on that. Plus if you add an out of date restriction on bring family member as staff you're adding to the out of step image.

Real talk….but don’t let that deflect from those banging the NIL excuse. Again, believe what you see and not what you’re told.
Last time I promise. Not once did anyone ever say NIL in special circumstances could not be drummed up. It's the consistent across the board salary bag that was lacking.

I'm not sure why ya'll are still insisting on such an absolutist view on this at this point. It's pretty clear to see the path and it doesn't rehab KJH one bit. Why would AD leak such a story (NIL donors waiting for a coaching change) to local media if it weren't true? Of course he wants it known there is now $$$ in place. Not sure where any conflict or cover up comes in.

Truthfully DW didn't need a cover. The lack of result against ranked teams and the lack of recruiting was enough. Once again, the whole NIL thing seems like Occam's Razor to me. The most likely explanation.

Agree on that. Plus if you add an out of date restriction on bring family member as staff you're adding to the out of step image.
As has often been pointed out on here, this site is not necessarily indicative of the overall opinion on the matter. As I have talked with several other UT fans( I was with a bunch of them at a luncheon yesterday) it is about evenly split on the firing although the Vandy fans were thrilled with it🤮.

The ability to spot raise NIL funds for portal gets and occassional recruits has been explained over and over. As you know, none of the hs recruits except Boyd would have qualified for any payments yet.

Also, as far as having no facts or proof, earlier you challenged me to name the SC player salary and I did. Which you confirmed. Alot is rumor and speculation, but not all.
SC made their group NIL announcement public when it was created, you must have missed the memo 4 years ago. No other school has chosen to reveal any info on their NIL arrangements. That is to be expected, as these arrangements are made between private/corporate entities and student athletes. Since NIL has been around, it is legal for a student athlete to make money on their name, image and likeness. The athletes could make their NIL information public if they chose, but nobody else can. Would you be cool releasing your statement of earned wages out to the public/internet/social media? This however does not stop the internet warriors from speculating about, posting and creating their version of "facts" as it relates to NIL. Don't believe anything you read about NIL $ unless it comes from the athlete or their employer/sponsor. The rest is all BS.

Reactions: Raebo and Lucy
As has often been pointed out on here, this site is not necessarily indicative of the overall opinion on the matter. As I have talked with several other UT fans( I was with a bunch of them at a luncheon yesterday) it is about evenly split on the firing although the Vandy fans were thrilled with it🤮.
Oh I have zero doubt most LV fans hate this. It's awful. But if confidence in KJH was as bad across the board of administrators and donors as it appears to have been, waiting another year would have only made it worse, like the extra Holly year.

We're at a tipping point where alot of longtime fans even want to follow anymore the way things have changed. And ironically, IMO it's not going to last all that long before salaries get brought in house to schools, rules and reg start to apply, and all sports get a fair share. KJH happened to fall in the Wild West window, actually got her fingers stuck btw the covid window and the NIL wild west era. Just couldn't stay afloat in all that.

Last time I promise. Not once did anyone ever say NIL in special circumstances could not be drummed up. It's the consistent across the board salary bag that was lacking.

I'm not sure why ya'll are still insisting on such an absolutist view on this at this point. It's pretty clear to see the path and it doesn't rehab KJH one bit. Why would AD leak such a story (NIL donors waiting for a coaching change) to local media if it weren't true? Of course he wants it known there is now $$$ in place. Not sure where any conflict or cover up comes in.
Oh, so now you can state for a fact that AD White has leaked a story to the press. Did he tell you that in confidence? I swear, some people will type stuff and act like its true when they could not know. Now, show us proof the AD leaked a story, or else edit your post to be accurate by stating "In my opinion", "It is my understanding, based upon...", "I am speculating about this, however..." etc. etc. etc... You typed it just as if it were a well known fact and was backed by evidence. Which of course it wasn't, it was always just a statement you threw out there. If you disagree, then back up your initial claim with some evidence, not speculation and innuendo.

Last edited:

Well because it takes the heat off of DW. The big bad donors made me do it.
I am not saying they did but where are local reporters getting that story from?

Given the current era of transfer portal/NIL, isnt 5 years kinda long for a "Rebuild"? Im not an expert, just genuinely curious.

Depends on what you mean by "rebuild" I guess. If you're talking Final 4 appearances, less than 5 years seems pretty optimistic. Not saying it's impossible or anything given how easy it should be to recruit to TN. But still a bit optimistic given the state of Women's college Bball at the moment. It isn't quite as easy to dominate the tourney now as it was 20-30 years ago when we were in the elite 8 or final 4 almost every single year. And the years that we weren't we still made the Sweet 16.

VN Store

Back