Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

He FINALLY made it this year. Prior to that he's really no better.

#14 class for recruiting isn't all that impressive either.
SW 16 - 3
Elite 8 - 2
F4 - 1

That resume is not even debatable compared to KJH. Couple that with making the tournament 70% of his D-1 career vs 50% for her. They both coached in 1 bid leagues for a majority of their career. One made the tournament 60% of the time (9/15 years) while the other made it 36% of the time (4/11 years). One had won everywhere they’ve been and the other has been relieved of their duties at both P5 stops for underperforming relative to the historical success of both programs.

JR Payne is a tough sell to me, I don’t dislike her but to me she’s not much different than Kelly. Good leader, relationship builder, but just above average coach, record indicates that. Could be a product of being at Colorado. But I personally like others better.

My personal favorites… Gottlieb, Fortier, Baranczyk, Hammon, Ivey.

I may have missed someone posting this beforehand on one of the several threads, but I wouldn't imagine Wes Moore would want to come here right after Kellie has been fired. He is best friends with the Harpers, spending a week of vacation with them every year. I can't imagine he would rush into replace her, especially how raw the Harpers must feel at this juncture.

JR Payne is a tough sell to me, I don’t dislike her but to me she’s not much different than Kelly. Good leader, relationship builder, but just above average coach, record indicates that. Could be a product of being at Colorado. But I personally like others better.

My personal favorites… Gottlieb, Fortier, Baranczyk, Hammon, Ivey.
What is the love for Fortier? On paper, she is not a clear upgrade over Kellie and she has a similar assistant coach "problem."

SW 16 - 3
Elite 8 - 2
F4 - 1

That resume is not even debatable compared to KJH. Couple that with making the tournament 70% of his D-1 career vs 50% for her. They both coached in 1 bid leagues for a majority of their career. One made the tournament 60% of the time (9/15 years) while the other made it 36% of the time (4/11 years). One had won everywhere they’ve been and the other has been relieved of their duties at both P5 stops for underperforming relative to the historical success of both programs.
You don't fire KJH for him.

He still sucks as a recruiter.

So someone help me out with the Hammon love. I am just curious, why is she an A+ hire? I mean I get it that Pop hired her but is that it? Has she ever dealt with recruits? NIL? The transfer portal? Has she ever had to recruit at the highest level?

Or like I said previous, is this a Gruden like situation? The thought because of pro success, it translates to college with no issues. You can’t say because if what she has done in the WNBA that she would just be great in college.

Well, just be careful and don't cut yourself. ;-)

I can only speak for myself. I'm over-educated so I've always dismissed anything conspiratorial. Back in college days, I worked summers with a roofing crew. Most came from the Sequatchie Valley and had dropped out after 9th grade. They'd tell these wild predictions of what was going to happen politically or socially, and I'd tell my college friends and we'd laugh. Called it "roofer wisdom."

Yet within 20 years, every unimaginable thing that they had predicted--had come true.

Lesson learned: people at the bottom of the economic food chain have the best radar for what's coming, because they have the least capability and fewest resources to accommodate sudden change.

As a lady at the other end of the economic spectrum, who was a big wheel on Wall St. put it, "When I left Wall St. I was amazed to learn that people thought of conspiracies as a bad thing! We spent every day conspiring! That's how things get done in the real world at that level and above.

So I figure, when the game gets into the trillions of dollars, with the computing power of AI, cooperating multinational intelligence agencies, and corporations with assets greater than all but 2-4 countries... yeah, count me with the great unwashed herd. I'm laying aside my "higher" degrees and wearing my aluminum fedora with a jaunty tilt.
We Won't Get Fooled Again!
Just the problem of that Vandy flop...
Which is an actual play in Shea Ralph's playbook.

I may have missed someone posting this beforehand on one of the several threads, but I wouldn't imagine Wes Moore would want to come here right after Kellie has been fired. He is best friends with the Harpers, spending a week of vacation with them every year. I can't imagine he would rush into replace her, especially how raw the Harpers must feel at this juncture.
He went to NC State after Kellie was fired there lol.

(I don’t think he’s going to be a candidate.)

So someone help me out with the Hammon love. I am just curious, why is she an A+ hire? I mean I get it that Pop hired her but is that it? Has she ever dealt with recruits? NIL? The transfer portal? Has she ever had to recruit at the highest level?

Or like I said previous, is this a Gruden like situation? The thought because of pro success, it translates to college with no issues. You can’t say because if what she has done in the WNBA that she would just be great in college.
Indeed, the new Gruden. And as noted above, because Stephanie White at Vandy worked out so well.

Wife is from the NCSt area, has sort of already retired there.
White had 2 WNBA titles?
Right. And still bombed big time as a college coach at Vandy. That's the point, coaching success in the W does not guarantee you'll be a good college coach. White even had dream team assistant in Carolyn Peck. Sounded great on paper but they were awful and got out quick.

Indeed, the new Gruden. And as noted above, because Stephanie White at Vandy worked out so well.

Another example on the men’s side is Jerry Stackhouse. Unsurprisingly, pro coaches transitioning to the college game don’t seem to like recruiting. Maybe Hammond is an exception to that, but still has heavy Gruden vibes.

Wife is from the NCSt area, has sort of already retired there.

Right. And still bombed big time as a college coach at Vandy. That's the point, coaching success in the W does not guarantee you'll be a good college coach. White even had dream team assistant in Carolyn Peck. Sounded great on paper but they were awful and got out quick.
White had zero as a coach is the point lol.

Reactions: brittannica
Another example on the men’s side is Jerry Stackhouse. Unsurprisingly, pro coaches transitioning to the college game don’t seem to like recruiting. Maybe Hammond is an exception to that, but still has heavy Gruden vibes.
JS was not a HC prior to Vandy.

What is the love for Fortier? On paper, she is not a clear upgrade over Kellie and she has a similar assistant coach "problem."
How is she not an upgrade? She’s flat out dominated a 1-2 bid league for a decade; KJH didn’t do that at either mid-major she was at. Fortier beat KJH just last season so that’s a step in the right direction. She’s 4-4 against Stanford in the last 10 years, 2 losses by single digits in OT, she’s 1-1 vs UofL, 1-1 vs UT, lost to Scar by 5, lost to OU in the NCAAT by 4. Tell me which one of those rosters she’s out talenting? She’s getting as much out of her roster as any coach in the country and has been to the NCAA 9 out of her 10 years as a HC at Gonzaga. In short she’s dominating equally talented rosters and hanging with the P5’s and regularly beating them, and not just P5’s; they’re the who’s who’s of P5.

There is absolutely no way in a million years that he would take a job from which she had just been fired.

VN Store

Back