KenPom658
BPI4511
SOR1154
KPI635
Road7-48-38-2
Q18-37-67-4
Q26-36-16-2
Noncon SOS131623

Team A is Arizona, Team B is Tennessee and Team C is UNC. Missing from the chart is Arizona’s Quad 3 loss at Oregon State — the other two contenders don’t have a setback outside the first two quads. Throw in the Wildcats’ losses to Stanford and USC, and that convinces us that it’s going to be the Volunteers or Tar Heels on the top line.

North Carolina’s nonconference home win over Tennessee might serve as the de facto tiebreaker. For now, we’re going to stick with the Vols, whom we feel have the better wins, better resume average and played in a tougher conference. But this could very well come down to how both teams play in their conference tournaments this week.

The Athletic

Final No. 1 seed — Blind resumes
TEAM ATEAM BTEAM C
NET457
KenPom658
BPI4511
SOR1154
KPI635
Road7-48-38-2
Q18-37-67-4
Q26-36-16-2
Noncon SOS131623

Team A is Arizona, Team B is Tennessee and Team C is UNC. Missing from the chart is Arizona’s Quad 3 loss at Oregon State — the other two contenders don’t have a setback outside the first two quads. Throw in the Wildcats’ losses to Stanford and USC, and that convinces us that it’s going to be the Volunteers or Tar Heels on the top line.

North Carolina’s nonconference home win over Tennessee might serve as the de facto tiebreaker. For now, we’re going to stick with the Vols, whom we feel have the better wins, better resume average and played in a tougher conference. But this could very well come down to how both teams play in their conference tournaments this week.

The Athletic
I'd almost rather have the 2 in the South than the 1 in the West, given the teams projected in each. But getting the 2 in the East with UConn would suck.

North Carolina will simply draw in more money considering they’re a Blue Blood.

We should definitely be the 1 seed over NC, however, I can totally see the committee screwing us over again.

We should definitely be the 1 seed over NC, however, I can totally see the committee screwing us over again.
Wouldn't they still draw in the same money if they're a 2 seed? Or are you saying they're likely to go further as a 1, so that's how they'd pull more money in?

Conference tourney(s) actually matter this time for the discussion at hand. We have the opportunity to face two ranked teams, barring upsets, in the semis and final (should we make it). They would only catch a ranked team if Duke makes it to the championship of the ACC tourney and UNC chalks. If it was me looking at the body of work and all the metrics, it has to be us on that 1 line.

That said, y'all are right. They would likely grab it if we lose in the SEC tourney. Blue Blood bias always plays and plays hard with the NCAA.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Wouldn't they still draw in the same money if they're a 2 seed? Or are you saying they're likely to go further as a 1, so that's how they'd pull more money in?

NC is likely to go further as a 1 seed, hence increasing their chances of making it to the Final Four.

In the end, the NCAA is still a business.

Honest question, where is the money difference? This isn’t a question about making the field or not making the field, it’s a question of North Carolina being on the east coast in their natural region vs. being on the west coast. And that compared to Tennessee on the west coast vs. Tennessee in the South or Midwest region. Both teams are almost certainly on Charlotte the first 2 rounds, so moot point there, so we are just talking about if both teams make it to at least the S16, if that happens…

Do we think the West regional matchup in Los Angeles has a much different money number attached to it with a North Carolina/Illinois & Arizona/Baylor matchup than Tennessee/Illinois & Arizona/Baylor? I don’t. And if there is a difference I would guess that the East Regional probably doesn’t do the same numbers without UNC being close to home as it would with them.

JMO

Florida losing to Vandy hurt our resume because they dropped out of the top 30 in NET.

I think we need Florida to have a solid SEC tournament for them to get back in the top 30 of NET, win our Game Friday, and for UNC to not win the ACC tournament for us to secure the 1 seed.

What am I missing?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Final No. 1 seed — Blind resumes
TEAM ATEAM BTEAM C
NET457
KenPom658
BPI4511
SOR1154
KPI635
Road7-48-38-2
Q18-37-67-4
Q26-36-16-2
Noncon SOS131623

The Athletic
With Arizona losing to USC their last game, I don’t think they should even be in the conversation. UNC should have it IMO, but I will certainly take it. Seems ESPN left Tennessee there. How they perform in the tournament absolutely should matter.

A few things.

We don’t need Knecht to score 40. No one else gets in a rythm when he is taking that many shots.
We have to do better shooting free throws.
We are taking shots too quickly on too many possessions.
Stay out of foul trouble.

If we correct these things, we will have much better chances in both tournaments.

Reactions: Ostrich
It's razor thin margins and losing head to head against UNC even with vols better metrics doesn't help. Keep winning and take it out of committees hands.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
I'd almost rather have the 2 in the South than the 1 in the West, given the teams projected in each. But getting the 2 in the East with UConn would suck.
This seems to be a popularly generated opinion amongst our fanbase, many of whom just seem to want to cushion the potential blow of losing the 1-seed, but I've gotta ask....why???

Why would you want to intentionally align yourself with Houston, playing in Dallas for a potential shot at at a Final 4? They are a terrible matchup for us. The 1 in the west gets Arizona as their 2, and I'd darn near bet dollars to donuts they don't make it to the E8 where you'd potentially face them as the 1 seed in that region.

Conference tourney(s) actually matter this time for the discussion at hand. We have the opportunity to face two ranked teams, barring upsets, in the semis and final (should we make it). They would only catch a ranked team if Duke makes it to the championship of the ACC tourney and UNC chalks. If it was me looking at the body of work and all the metrics, it has to be us on that 1 line.

That said, y'all are right. They would likely grab it if we lose in the SEC tourney. Blue Blood bias always plays and plays hard with the NCAA.
If they cater to blue bloods, how was Alabama the overall #1 seed last year and Gonzaga two consecutive years before that?

This seems to be a popularly generated opinion amongst our fanbase, many of whom just seem to want to cushion the potential blow of losing the 1-seed, but I've gotta ask....why???

Why would you want to intentionally align yourself with Houston, playing in Dallas for a potential shot at at a Final 4? They are a terrible matchup for us. The 1 in the west gets Arizona as their 2, and I'd darn near bet dollars to donuts they don't make it to the E8 where you'd potentially face them as the 1 seed in that region.

This, this is not as bad but reminds me of the "We don't want to play FD, we want FAU" talk last year.

No we want a #1 seed. It's why I keep going nuts people acting like the UK loss wasn't that a big of a deal. If it costs us a #1 seed, then yes, it was a big deal.

This, this is not as bad but reminds me of the "We don't want to play FD, we want FAU" talk last year.

No we want a #1 seed. It's why I keep going nuts people acting like the UK loss wasn't that a big of a deal. If it costs us a #1 seed, then yes, it was a big deal.
Personally, I want a one seed just because it’s historic. First time ever. Win 2 in the sec tournament and I think it’s a done deal. Also, a question. If we get the fourth #1 seed don’t we play the first #2 in the region finals? So either way, if we get fourth #1 or 1st #2 don’t we line up with North Carolina in the region finals? The good news is, if it comes to that, it won’t be in Greensboro or Charlotte where they usually get to play. Another thing. Did DK’s 40 points put him past Sears to lead the conference in scoring? I know Sears was ahead by a third of a point or something going in.

Reactions: 1Big_Orange_Fan
Personally, I want a one seed just because it’s historic. First time ever. Win 2 in the sec tournament and I think it’s a done deal. Also, a question. If we get the fourth #1 seed don’t we play the first #2 in the region finals? So either way, if we get fourth #1 or 1st #2 don’t we line up with North Carolina in the region finals? The good news is, if it comes to that, it won’t be in Greensboro or Charlotte where they usually get to play. Another thing. Did DK’s 40 points put him past Sears to lead the conference in scoring? I know Sears was ahead by a third of a point or something going in.
If we are #1 in the West, Arizona will be the #2. As has been said many times, after the top seeds are placed, geography is primarily used from that point forward.

VN Store

Back