Ncaa done shuts down investigation

They are gonna lose the main case. After that I think the power 5 is going to have another governing body ready to go. It wouldn’t be a good look for the NCAA to try to pounce back on Tennessee. They are never going to be trusted with that type of power again. They are holding out hope of winning that tells me the grudge is still there. NIL is seperate from the NCAA and there is no need for them to have any control over it. This is what they cannot get through their thick heads.

Their only really viable strategy remaining to them is to somehow convince Congress to pass national legislation. I think the chances of that happening are under 30% though. The NCAA has to know based on precedents of late that the courts will not give them the outcomes they desire
In an election year, it's zero chance.
Senator Blackburn is leading the charge for national legislation to prevent the NCAA - permanently - from trying to interfere in NIL.

That has a better chance of passing. It seems to have bipartisan support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Their only really viable strategy remaining to them is to somehow convince Congress to pass national legislation. I think the chances of that happening are under 30% though. The NCAA has to know based on precedents of late that the courts will not give them the outcomes they desire
And even if they do, imo they will not be able to investigate anyone concerning nil for any prior things done before.

Sounds to me like they’re just putting it on hold for now until the case is decided.

I just hope our guys stay on their toes. NCAA will hold a grudge and if they have any future say, they will come after us with whatever they can, no matter how miniscule the infraction

Anyone else think they will come after us with a vengeance when this is over?

Anyone else think they will come after us with a vengeance when this is over?
No, even if they are around they will never have that type of power again. I imagine the power 5 will form it’s own governing body. What the NCAA fails to realize is the courts are never going to let them regulate NIL. It’s none of their affair. They need to accept it.

You think for one second these MFs won't go after UT with a frenzied vengeance if things don't go our way in court. Better buckle up...let's get ready to go to the Supreme Court to take these mothers down. Freedom!!

NCAA can't enforce NIL rules as such amounts to an anti trust violation under the Sherman Act

NCAA can't rewrite NIL rules as such will amount to an additional anti trust violation under the Sherman Act

As an association with no anti trust exemption from Congress they are an albatross and no longer suited for the role they once played, NFL, MLB and the NBA have anti trust exemptions from Congress, no entity has profited as much on the backs of "amateur athletes" as the NCAA has

Let's hope the SEC does not make the same mistakes as the NCAA has done time and time again,

Last edited:
The NCAA can't rewrite NIL rules.
Agreed

This is way above their pay grade, as in it would take ignoring constitutional rights of citizens to limit NIL money.

While they do make the statement they're only pausing it, IMO that is just saving face. The arguments they offered were kind of silly (at least my understanding of them) with regard to the legality of NIL rules.

IDK if this is the death rattle of the NCAA but the institution does currently sound very frail and sick.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Yep. "Pause and not begin" isn't quite the same thing as cease and desist. They've proven to be snakes with a vendetta against us. No way I trust a single thing they say. Stay alert Plowman.
They’re going to lose the case, which means they’ll never be able to resume the investigation. They’re also losing other cases around the country. By the time TN/VA’s case is over, the NCAA will no longer be a going concern. IF they survive all this litigation (big if), they will be a shell of what they were and they won’t be calling the shots.

They can have a vendetta all they want. They’re impotent to do anything about it.

Yes, we won.

They’re going to lose the case, which means they’ll never be able to resume the investigation. They’re also losing other cases around the country. By the time TN/VA’s case is over, the NCAA will no longer be a going concern. IF they survive all this litigation (big if), they will be a shell of what they were and they won’t be calling the shots.

They can have a vendetta all they want. They’re impotent to do anything about it.

Yes, we won.

There's no "vendetta"---what an absurd thing to say. I chuckle at the goofs--not college grads-- who like to slam the NCAA. You do realize that whether it's the NCAA or some other entity, there will be rules and there will be enforcement.

Meantime, feel free to get out your bank card as there is a tight end in Kalamazoo who's looking for cash and who has kickoff coverage potential....

It’s already decided. The judge already told them they would lose.
The ruling on the case hasn’t happened yet. It’s highly likely they lose but it still has to play out. This is just the NCAA following the temporary injunction.

Last edited:
There's no "vendetta"---what an absurd thing to say. I chuckle at the goofs--not college grads-- who like to slam the NCAA. You do realize that whether it's the NCAA or some other entity, there will be rules and there will be enforcement.

Meantime, feel free to get out your bank card as there is a tight end in Kalamazoo who's looking for cash and who has kickoff coverage potential....
Dude Tennessee was doing nothing nobody else isn’t doing. A@M was spending big bucks before we were. Georgia and Ohio State,etc. Nobody is saying we don’t want a governing body. We want one where the rules are clear and enforcement is the same for everyone. To many uneven penalties and their ruling were more than often way to late and punishment hit the wrong folks. We know you absolutely love the NCAA and think they have never did no wrong. The courts are saying the NIL is none of the NCAA’s business. Just stop! GBO

It is a textbook „vendetta“ and it is proven by the way the NCAA selectively leaked the news to Pat Forde and other sympathetic „journalists“ in a blatant effort to hamstring our recruitment efforts over the next few years. A fair and unbiased organization wouldn’t have seen the need to play games using the press. They would have just proceeded with a quiet investigation. It is classic mob tactics and I for one am glad to see someone like Tennessee finally punch back against the schoolyard bully.

Dude Tennessee was doing nothing nobody else isn’t doing. A@M was spending big bucks before we were. Georgia and Ohio State,etc. Nobody is saying we don’t want a governing body. We want one where the rules are clear and enforcement is the same for everyone. To many uneven penalties and their ruling were more than often way to late and punishment hit the wrong folks. We know you absolutely love the NCAA and think they have never did no wrong. The courts are saying the NIL is none of the NCAA’s business. Just stop! GBO
The NCAA had become a „crooked cop“. Just like the mob always had a few dirty cops in their pocket to protect themselves and to harass the competition, Alabama and the other traditional blue bloods had the NCAA to preserve their turf. Tennessee had become too much of a threat and was starting to crash the party. The signing of Nico was the „bridge too far“ for Saban et al so they released the hounds as it were.

Yes, we won.
They probably won't be around to come after us when this is over.

I think folks tend to over-estimate the degree to which these NIL court decisions will affect the viability of the NCAA.

It is a big organization that does a huge amount of stuff.

Setting aside recruitment and eligibility enforcement actions, only some of which have anything to do with NIL, there are:

(a) A host of other rules in the NCAA college sports rule books. One big massive book for each sport, in some cases, more than one book for each sport because Division II might have somewhat different rules than Division 1 and Division 3, etc. All of those rule books need to be maintained by the NCAA. They all need to be updated from time to time by committees of representatives of the schools and conferences, hosted by the NCAA. They also need to be enforced; the on-field rules are enforced by the conferences (they hire their own referees) but the off-field rules are enforced by the NCAA.

(b) Championship tournaments to run, for all but FBS, in dozens of sports at several divisional levels. March Madness, of course, but also the soccer, track and field, swimming, volleyball, etc., etc., etc. At each divisional level. Lots of tournaments, year-round. The NCAA plans, coordinates, hosts, mans, and cleans up after all of those.

As those two examples show, the NCAA does a lot of things. Only one small part of which is enforcing the recruiting rules of Division I money sports.

Someone has to do all those things. If the NCAA were to go away (but why would they, given all these jobs?), we'd have to create a new NCAA just to do it all.

In short, the NCAA isn't going anywhere. They're only out of the business of enforcing the NIL element of recruitment.

Go Vols!

Thr NCAA is going to have to evolve or die. Regulating NIL is not going to work for them. They should probably get out of recruiting all together.

They should focus on consistency of on field rules and try to fix officiating. Centralize training, hire full-time officials, and hold them accountable. They could absolutely sell that.

Let the school/conferences figure out what recruiting and NIL are going to look like. It appears that is going to happen regardless.

VN Store

Back