2025 Recruiting

You never know what's just over the horizonšŸ˜‰
Also, just for the record, we're going to finish 4th or 5th in conference and there's only one Rickea Jackson and she will be gone all too soon. Unless another one turns up in the portal, we won't have another player like that for awhile. Can't really see the gap closing at all, esp with Texas and Okla coming. Sorry to be a bummer, but this is reality.

You never know what's just over the horizonšŸ˜‰
I need something good to happen. Everything about recruiting already feels so damn sleazy, and obviously with the recent court rulings about to get much, much worse. It's all so depressing.

Because misery loves company, there already a FIRE KAREN movement on the softball thread, just half a dozen games into the season. Stop me if you've heard this before: she doesn't play the right lineup bc she's busy experimenting and also playing favorites. LOL at least we're consistent.

How can you say Iā€™m wrong? Show me where youā€™re right and we can discuss. Blanket statements donā€™t eat.
I'm not showing you anything. I know this from a reliable source and recruitment is mt profession. I know how it works. If you can't understand it, or don't want to, that is your problem.

Yawn...keep feigning disbelief to keep your agendas alive. I don't really care whatever you think or 'believe'. The rest of us know what's going on in recruiting and working for better days ahead. Eat that.
Keep braying, without an iota of proof. Name calling is easy.

Speaking of agendas, I dare you to say what you think my ā€œagendaā€ is, and back up your bellowing with copies of statements I have made. Should be easy enough, unless you are making stuff upā€¦

ā€œEverybody knowsā€ā€¦. until it's time for evidence. Then the insults start, to hide the utter lack of facts.

ā€œ[ā€¦] for Brutus is an honorable man; so are they all, all honorable menā€œ

Reactions: Amb3096
I'm not showing you anything. I know this from a reliable source and recruitment is mt profession. I know how it works. If you can't understand it, or don't want to, that is your problem.
You recruiting in business has nothing to do with recruiting kids. Again, kids arenā€™t paying rent, childcare, groceries, bills etc. Let me know if youā€™ve had a child like my own go through the process of recruiting, NIL and we can discuss it further in regards to how it works. ā€œSourceā€ is a gullible term to the misinformed, especially if they canā€™t present any information to back it up.

Iā€™ve asked for you to present an example of where Im wrong. But somehow have presented no information that Kellie is moving the team in the right direction in year 5.

Reactions: olddog
NIL in recruiting is a cancer. It is a terrible idea and the football programs that started doing it were idiots and have created a massive
mess. NIL in recruiting basically means, "Oh, we need money with which to bribe prospects, so they'll sign with us." That's a disgusting way
to run any college sport. It's corrupt, and it's seedy. I don't know to what degree it goes on in recruiting--I'm sure the top prospects are getting offers, but it's a fool's game. It's reducing recruiting success to those schools with the craziest fans willing to spend the most money to buy the best players. I, for one, would rather lose than engage in that kind of bull$hit. I'd be VERY curious to know if Stanford and Notre Dame, two class programs, are throwing money at prospects. I can't imagine that Vanderveer or the ND folks are too keen on NIL. They've got higher standards. And so you've got a mess when some schools--the LSU's of the world--are offering big bribes and other schools are reluctant to engage in it but find they're not getting the top prospects. Whoever started all this NIL in recruiting BS should be tarred and feathered. It's a joke.

Reactions: Golf freak
Not sure how you think this changes things. We still don't have the money, no matter who we are now allowed to offer it to. If anything, IMO this makes it worse for us. If our donor's problem is they're leery of cash for high school players the legalization of the wild west and the massive amounts that are about to get thrown at 17 yr olds is not likely to make them feel any better.

I agree with the first poster, what passed for NIL regulation was not what was holding us back. We have to find a money vein.

The Williams situation brings into focus how important money is and how we don't have any. Hard to imagine a more unstable situation than Oregon where everyone transfers and the coach is on the perpetual hotseat. If she'd stayed home that would be one thing, but to go out the way out there for that? Has to be money.

TN fans, espec football fans are celebrating UT taking down the NCAA and with it any money regulations. But this very well may turn out to be careful what you wish for.
Certainly doesn't make it worse as we were not recruiting anybody before and if we don't now we certainly have the legitimate answer. Saying we didn't have the money before was always subject to being a rumor and after this ruling it will either be verified or proven to be untrue. The reason being we were not going to offer anykind of deal when it was illegal to do so and now if we don't or can't then the program seems doomed to ever get back to elite. This gives all us fans the verification of where the program is and so there will no longer be any excuses as to why. It certainly takes the pressure off of Harper and staff if they have been trying to recruit with one arm tied behind their back.

How can you say Iā€™m wrong? Show me where youā€™re right and we can discuss. Blanket statements donā€™t eat.
Once again...no one cares about you being right or wrong.... your "agenda" is already set....

Once again...no one cares about you being right or wrong.... your "agenda" is already set....
And yet, here you are again to push it back up. Yesterday was another example of ā€œin over her headā€ and tomorrow will be a chance on national TV for win #13 or loss #34. Big day! I hope the team pulls it out. Agenda seems to be a term for those who dont want to acknowledge while chastising those who donā€™t fall for excuses.

Certainly doesn't make it worse as we were not recruiting anybody before and if we don't now we certainly have the legitimate answer. Saying we didn't have the money before was always subject to being a rumor and after this ruling it will either be verified or proven to be untrue
LOL true but sad fact that hs recruiting can't get worse. But I'm not sure how if we continue to strike out it proves whether it was lack of funds or something else. Will NIL transparency carry over to the general public or is it just for recruits?

I'm pretty skeptical of everything but I totally believe our problem is lack of NIL funds. If it were the coaching staff, we'd never get all the visits or make so many final lists. Also, my experience both on this board and the little bits I've been behind the scenes this year tells me that Earl, MTSU and DeerPark totally know what they're talking about. All have said it's NIL funds lacking. I believe them.

I do have one more question for Earl before I turn the Williams Dad into a total villian in my mind. If there was never a legit offer, why did they have both TK and RJ immediately tweet the recruit encouraging her to come here as soon as she announced the LVs in her final 3? I can't make sense of that.

LOL true but sad fact that hs recruiting can't get worse. But I'm not sure how if we continue to strike out it proves whether it was lack of funds or something else. Will NIL transparency carry over to the general public or is it just for recruits?

I'm pretty skeptical of everything but I totally believe our problem is lack of NIL funds. If it were the coaching staff, we'd never get all the visits or make so many final lists. Also, my experience both on this board and the little bits I've been behind the scenes this year tells me that Earl, MTSU and DeerPark totally know what they're talking about. All have said it's NIL funds lacking. I believe them.

I do have one more question for Earl before I turn the Williams Dad into a total villian in my mind. If there was never a legit offer, why did they have both TK and RJ immediately tweet the recruit encouraging her to come here as soon as she announced the LVs in her final 3? I can't make sense of that.
If she didnā€™t have an offer, whyā€™s the official LV recruiting account liking the post?

Reactions: Bret178 and olddog
You recruiting in business has nothing to do with recruiting kids. Again, kids arenā€™t paying rent, childcare, groceries, bills etc. Let me know if youā€™ve had a child like my own go through the process of recruiting, NIL and we can discuss it further in regards to how it works. ā€œSourceā€ is a gullible term to the misinformed, especially if they canā€™t present any information to back it up.

Iā€™ve asked for you to present an example of where Im wrong. But somehow have presented no information that Kellie is moving the team in the right direction in year 5.
There's info I'm not at liberty to divulge. It was shared with me in confidence, and I respect that.

The recruiting principles of anything are the same. What motivates - what sells. I've studied it on a graduate level, worked in it on a professional and volunteer level. You must be able to give the person you are recruiting what they desire, which now is $$$ for the majority of high school kids. We lost 3/4 in 2023 to NIL, the 4th elected to stay close to home. The 3 that chose NIL $$$ all had visited Tennessee several times and loved Kellie and staff. We just didn't have the $$$ that LSU an Texas could offer. That is 100% truth.

There's info I'm not at liberty to divulge. It was shared with me in confidence, and I respect that.

The recruiting principles of anything are the same. What motivates - what sells. I've studied it on a graduate level, worked in it on a professional and volunteer level. You must be able to give the person you are recruiting what they desire, which now is $$$ for the majority of high school kids. We lost 3/4 in 2023 to NIL, the 4th elected to stay close to home. The 3 that chose NIL $$$ all had visited Tennessee several times and loved Kellie and staff. We just didn't have the $$$ that LSU a Texas could offer. That is 100% truth.
Yeah, me as well. Canā€™t divulge or we get put on double secret probation. Funny how random fans know so much of a hush hush process but boast of being in the know when players are lost.

Again, if you make it to the finals with a team you loved/liked the coaches and staff. Thatā€™s not a new thing. The real ones call and show the appreciation.

Again, if you make it to the finals with a team you loved/liked the coaches and staff. Thatā€™s not a new thing
Wow, breaking news! You changed sides! You now agree the recruiting problem is not the staff, otherwise we wouldn't make the finals list so often. Welcome!
Recruiting is a fluid process and lots of things can change in two months...
But within a couple of days? BC TK and RJ (who got criticized here just the other day for not helping w recruiting) tweeted Williams urging her to come here just a couple of days ago after her "finalist" list came out.

Maybe the LVs bailed quickly when they realized it wasn't going to be them? If so it totally didn't work, since all social media sees is yet another KJH recruiting fail.

Wow, breaking news! You changed sides! You now agree the recruiting problem is not the staff, otherwise we wouldn't make the finals list so often. Welcome!

But within a couple of days? BC TK and RJ (who got criticized here just the other day for not helping w recruiting) tweeted Williams urging her to come here just a couple of days ago after her "finalist" list came out.

Maybe the LVs bailed quickly when they realized it wasn't going to be them? If so it totally didn't work, since all social media sees is yet another KJH recruiting fail.
No, Kellie canā€™t close and hasnā€™t pre or post NIL. Havenā€™t changed anything on my stance there.

if you make it to the finals with a team you loved/liked the coaches and staff.

No, Kellie canā€™t close and hasnā€™t pre or post NIL. Havenā€™t changed anything on my stance there.
One of these thing you said is contrary to the other thing you said. Either it's the coaching staff or not.

One of these thing you said is contrary to the other thing you said. Either it's the coaching staff or not.
History has stated she canā€™t close. If Samā€™s doing her job that means CKH doing hers.

Again, if you make it to the finals with a team you loved/liked the coaches and staff.

History has stated she canā€™t close. If Samā€™s doing her job that means CKH doing hers.
I'm trying to follow along here bc you're really threading a needle. Is your stance that recruits are visiting, liking, considering LVs a finalists, but then somewhere in the period btw selecting as a finalist and committing learning something about KJH that they didn't know before and therefore saying no? Everything on track until the last second when there's a sudden KJH reveal and their fleeing?

You are certainly entitled to that opinion, but that's pretzel logic on an anti-KJH agenda to me. Esp when there's a more logical explanation at that point in the process, that it's the money. And esp when multiple people I know to be "insiders" have told us its the money. Maybe you're just more clever than all of us, or maybe you're being too clever by half.

Either way, we're on a downward spiral with hs recruiting and it's painful. Can't gloss over that we're falling further and further behind. I just want us to correct the right problem.

NIL in recruiting is a cancer.

I really hate this analogy, in general, because cancer kills people, so it rarely is an accurate description. But it's especially bad in this context because what we are actually looking at are opportunities for young people mostly from low-income or middle-income families to get an education and start life with a modest amount of money in a bank account. They're also going to get familiar with taxes and running a self-employed business. They'll get experience with contracts and representation. At what cost? A bunch of Karens and their pearl-clutching about the "olden days".

Most will admit the HS recruiting has been poor. My question is whether her ability to make up for it in the portal is sustainable. I think we'll be able to answer that with what she does this Spring with portal recruiting. If she lands a Jackson level scoring threat, a Key level post player, and 1 or 2 decent supporting cast type players, then recruiting is fine. I guess we'll see, a lot could change.

At the last home game, an arena worker/poster-friend asked me why I stopped doing the game-threads and didn't post as much....I told him/her,, "read the "25 recruiting page"...it has gone from a wealth of information, to a forum for what's wrong with TN NIL" and a bash the coach thread.

He/She said, "isn't that what the forum's for"
I replied "Is it?...and does that discussion belong on a thread that prospective's and their families/coaches of next year's recruiting would gravitate to?"

I know I, myself, am hard on the coach. And I am so bc I have coached this game for over 40 years and know a little about the sport...But I try never to be "personal" with my posts....Recruits still DO read this (and other thread) gossip-fence banter and make decisions or are influenced by the subject matter.,, This is the 21st century and social media and subject matter is easily found for anyone 9 years old-100 yrs old.

I don't converse with nearly as many potential recruits as I once did, but those I still have a rapport with, I tell "Don't make your decision based on a fanbase website for ANY program...make your decision based on the college of your choice and the program you want to play for...

and I would say to any recruit or parent/coach who continues to read this thread (and this post)....

"understand that in a game where most women's teams play for a few hundred ,,TN is a college where thousands of fans pack an arena every game and they are caring and demanding of every aspect of the sport...So if it bothers you to be held to the highest of expectations,,,then definitely, look for another program,,, bc,,, this will not change until TN is back in it's rightful spot,,,,At the top of the sport!..And only the best of the best players will get us back to this level!.

I can totally believe when these posters you mention say we don't have NIL money and it means our rich boosters don't care about Lady Vol basketball and so if that being true our third and fourth place finishes and 20 win seasons will have to be good enough. Don't expect any coach without the proper resources that are needed these days to come in and win big without elite players. With the cat out of the bag now a collective can walk up to any player and make them a huge NIL offer so if we can't do that then were at the place we need to be and the place we will be no matter who the coach is now or in the future.

That is the reason I'm glad we got the ruling cause if some schools already had their 500 pound Gorilla and were using it illegally right in the face of the NCAA. The NCAA was ignoring a lot and picking and choosing who they wanted to go after. So now all schools are able to use their 500 pound gorilla if they have one and if they don't to bad just accept your ok with what your program is doing.

Most will admit the HS recruiting has been poor. My question is whether her ability to make up for it in the portal is sustainable. I think we'll be able to answer that with what she does this Spring with portal recruiting. If she lands a Jackson level scoring threat, a Key level post player, and 1 or 2 decent supporting cast type players, then recruiting is fine. I guess we'll see, a lot could change.
I think you need a little of both. I think a good recruiting year could be two to three elite high school players and a couple of portal players or vice versa. I don't see how you could sustain a program with one or the other.

VN Store

Back