Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Barnes had a pretty good idea about Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer when UCLA came calling. He turned them down in April, 2019 and Keon committed in August, and Springer committed in October. Those were long term recruitments.
Both offspring of high level athletes, who wanted their exceptional sons learning from and playing for Barnes

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Thanks man. I view our program as one of the top 5 percent of basketball programs. We certainly have the attendance, facilities, and pay the coaching staff in the top 5 percent. I am sorry we have do not have the current success or historical success in March that we should but it is past due for that to change. I will continue to expect it to happen and will not be satisfied until we knock down that door. I get your stats but Mears was held out of tournaments because it was a different time and teams were not allowed in and Barnes has already coached here longer than Pearl who has went to a worse Sec program and had plenty of success there so safe to think we would have kept it rolling here. Rick Barnes is good coach…good for him. Do you not view us as a top 5 percent program? Do you have low expectations? Do you agree we are the best team in the Sec this year and should win something or make a deep March run?

There are 351 D-1 basketball programs at present. If we make the sweet 16, we're in the top five percent, by definition.

I obviously view us as a “top 5 percent” program. What you’re missing is that if we don’t make the elite 8, it doesn’t mean something is wrong with Barnes. I’m highlighting the percentages to explain to you how astronomically hard it is to get to the elite 8 and the final 4. My lord
It’s like this…let’s say you get one shot at a bullseye…low probability you hit it and not much is expected. If you get 30 shots at the bullseye you should be able and expected to hit the bullseye some. That is March basketball. Problem is we get shot after shot and have never hit a bullseye. Hof coaches and top 5 paid coaches should hit the bullseye more frequently than standard coaches as well.
You once again make no sense with your arguments on the recruiting after UCLA…he would have brought in better players than Uros and Olivier..they were simply the best left he could get. His history before that and after that proves it. He quickly retooled I said, but the writing was on the wall with where his head was at and how the team looked in 19-20. You didn’t answer the question about the regular season titles. Hope you arent glossing over that. We are playing in an era where Kentucky is no longer a dominate force. Heck they are the 4th best Sec team in last 5-6 years after Bama, Auburn, and us. Don’t you view us as the best Sec team during this stretch, since we win so many games. Are we or are we not the best team this year? So one would expect more than one share of a regular title and one should expect a regular crown this year. I certainly do. This is not solely a March issue. For as many things as Barnes does well, he could do better. All I’m saying. Have a good one. If Barnes tenure at Ut ends with 1 conference title, no final fours…heck at this point maybe no elite 8’s I would be highly disappointed as conference titles and deep March runs are easily there for the taking during this time frame. Have a good one man. Nice discussion. I just have expectations and multiple conference titles and a Final Four run are not unrealistic ones.

Reactions: vol94
It’s like this…let’s say you get one shot at a bullseye…low probability you hit it and not much is expected. If you get 30 shots at the bullseye you should be able and expected to hit the bullseye some. That is March basketball. Problem is we get shot after shot and have never hit a bullseye. Hof coaches and top 5 paid coaches should hit the bullseye more frequently than standard coaches as well.
You once again make no sense with your arguments on the recruiting after UCLA…he would have brought in better players than Uros and Olivier..they were simply the best left he could get. His history before that and after that proves it. He quickly retooled I said, but the writing was on the wall with where his head was at and how the team looked in 19-20. You didn’t answer the question about the regular season titles. Hope you arent glossing over that. We are playing in an era where Kentucky is no longer a dominate force. Heck they are the 4th best Sec team in last 5-6 years after Bama, Auburn, and us. Don’t you view us as the best Sec team during this stretch, since we win so many games. Are we or are we not the best team this year? So one would expect more than one share of a regular title and one should expect a regular crown this year. I certainly do. This is not solely a March issue. For as many things as Barnes does well, he could do better. All I’m saying. Have a good one. If Barnes tenure at Ut ends with 1 conference title, no final fours…heck at this point maybe no elite 8’s I would be highly disappointed as conference titles and deep March runs are easily there for the taking during this time frame. Have a good one man. Nice discussion. I just have expectations and multiple conference titles and a Final Four run are not unrealistic ones.
They’re not unrealistic goals and I’m sure the team wants that too. Obviously. But for you to pretend like his accomplishments so far in these 8-9 years isn’t exemplary is just showing ignorance.

Also, just so you know, signing class window was basically over while he was entertaining UCLA.

“he would have brought in better players than Uros and Olivier..they were simply the best left he could get. His history before that and after that proves it.“

False. He had just signed in his first 5 star at UT in the 2019 early signing period in JJJ. He’d taken us to the sweet 16 the year before with 3 stars he developed.

They’re not unrealistic goals and I’m sure the team wants that too. Obviously. But for you to pretend like his accomplishments so far in these 8-9 years isn’t exemplary is just showing ignorance.

Also, just so you know, signing class window was basically over while he was entertaining UCLA.

“he would have brought in better players than Uros and Olivier..they were simply the best left he could get. His history before that and after that proves it.“

False. He had just signed in his first 5 star at UT in the 2019 early signing period in JJJ. He’d taken us to the sweet 16 the year before with 3 stars he developed.
1-2 more conference titles, hopefully at least 1 outright and one…only ONE final four and all doubts and criticisms will go away for me.
Its like we are agreeing on some things yet saying or interpreting it differently. He only brought in Josiah…one player, that entire year. I just think Barnes knew he was leaving and quit caring, he was not going to worry about one player and Josiah probably would have went to Martin at South Carolina (pretty good friends with Barnes and JJJ home state)if Barnes ended up at UCLA..then Barnes went oh crap I am staying and my team is not going to be great and he grabbed Uros,Olivier, and then Santi. He then got it quickly going after that and made people think he never missed a beat but there definitely was a missed beat there. Can we just please win this conference with what I feel is by far the best team this season and hopefully a deep March run to boot. Thanks for the discussion. I appreciate the passion everyone has. As always Go Vols.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
1-2 more conference titles, hopefully at least 1 outright and one…only ONE final four and all doubts and criticisms will go away for me.
Its like we are agreeing on some things yet saying or interpreting it differently. He only brought in Josiah…one player, that entire year. I just think Barnes knew he was leaving and quit caring, he was not going to worry about one player and Josiah probably would have went to Martin at South Carolina (pretty good friends with Barnes and JJJ home state)if Barnes ended up at UCLA..then Barnes went oh crap I am staying and my team is not going to be great and he grabbed Uros,Olivier, and then Santi. He then got it quickly going after that and made people think he never missed a beat but there definitely was a missed beat there. Can we just please win this conference with what I feel is by far the best team this season and hopefully a deep March run to boot. Thanks for the discussion. I appreciate the passion everyone has. As always Go Vols.

Bull s*!t.

2019 class had 4 players signed before Uros and Bailey transferred and before Santi joined the class once 2019 season already started
Yeah he had JJJ and Gaines in the fold. Pember was always going to be a speculative add. Then he got Oliver after UCLA flirtation. 2 guys…always thought we could have got more out of Gaines.

I’ve read maybe 3-4 posts in this entire thread and I am baffled. I’m not sure what problem some of you all have with Barnes but I swear I wouldn’t count out some of these posters being from other fanbases just rattling cages in here based off some of these comments. I played basketball my entire life, had 2-3 offers from FCS schools, and have been in a lot of different situations in my life with coaches/players/etc. Not that the offers matter but just to put it into context. I can promise you the 2 most important things when it comes to a coach is that he has created stability and he has established a culture. Rick Barnes has done that and more. And if you really want to test a theory that will tell you all you need to know, go through the players that have played for Barnes and ask yourself how highly do all these players think of Barnes as a coach… you can see it and you can feel it with almost every team. The players love him as a coach and they know he’s a good coach. Because he is one! I swear I think if Jesus Christ himself showed up to some of y’all’s front door, the first thing y’all would do is complain.

Another thing… there’s a reason why assistants on our staff the past couple of years have went on to be head coaches themselves for other teams.

Let me know when Barnes gets us past the Sweet Sixteen. Hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it ever happens. He’s alreadyhad two optimal opportunities and couldn’t do it.
And you judging him off one game.... So if he gets to the final four once and has mediocre seasons after does that make him a better coach? Final four one year... then not make the tournament? like what are you looking for? He was in those games had a chance to win them at the end of the day players make plays or they dont.... players exacute or they dont. Its not likethey arent trying to win every game they play in the season or a tournament.

And you judging him off one game.... So if he gets to the final four once and has mediocre seasons after does that make him a better coach? Final four one year... then not make the tournament? like what are you looking for? He was in those games had a chance to win them at the end of the day players make plays or they dont.... players exacute or they dont. Its not likethey arent trying to win every game they play in the season or a tournament.

Don’t feed BrockyTroll.

All the beef Barnes takes on here i hope that getting DK and letting him play free allows us to recruit higher lever wings from the portal and high school. Hopefully this shows they can come to Knoxville and flourish on both ends of the court.

All the beef Barnes takes on here i hope that getting DK and letting him play free allows us to recruit higher lever wings from the portal and high school. Hopefully this shows they can come to Knoxville and flourish on both ends of the court.

Barnes regularly adjusts to his roster, but from the critical takes you’d think that he never changes anything. I remember when Bone was the PG CRB was constantly preaching about pushing the pace on offense.

VN Store

Back