Josh Heupel Performance Review

I’ll go with a B. Mainly because he won’t get rid of Willie Martinez and get serious about the secondary. He’s said over and over. TN will play elite defense. Great, but when.

I'm not holding much against him from the first 3 years due to the hand he was dealt. I do think the playcalling this year was not great but idk if that's more due to losing Golesh or having Milton at QB. The only concern I have in that regard is the situational playcalling was questionable at times in 2021 too (Ole Miss).

Can't really hold recruiting against him when he's had other teams using NCAA investigations against him and just the fact that it takes time to build up to elite classes when you've been down for a while.

His username says it all, stuck with a loser mentality…
Or just being realistic. Noticed we are not having to worry about anyone stealing him away right now? Huge sign that we have an average coach who needs to do better next season, so he doesn't become a D- coach.

Last edited:
Or just being realistic.
Not a single reasonable person with the roster and mess he started with gives him a C.

UT had been in the wilderness for decades, even crazy negavols before he was hired would have been thrilled with what has been done the past three years if they had seen the dream before the Pruitt firing happened.

It really wasn’t conceivable to think UT would beat Bama and be in national Championship conversation after the Pruitt years and Pruitt mess left behind.

LMAO. Other than The Gump University, what other major programs have open positions?
Well for starters, there should be a vacancy to fill after Bama makes their choice. Lets see if they try and steal Heupel away from us. Honestly, if he would try an improve there would probably be an opening for him in the NFL as an OC or head coach.

Last edited:
Not a single reasonable person with the roster and mess he started with gives him a C.

UT had been in the wilderness for decades, even crazy negavols before he was hired would have been thrilled with what has been done the past three years if they had seen the dream before the Pruitt firing happened.

It really wasn’t conceivable to think UT would beat Bama and be in national Championship conversation after the Pruitt years and Pruitt mess left behind.
Probably best not to waste anymore of your time with that guy. Hard to fathom he actually believes any of the BS he posts. If he does, then that is sad. Heupel has won 20 games in the last two seasons. Best back to back years since 03-04. Far from a C grade.

In the 2022 season we had our first real contender since 2001 and you gave him a C? I know the 2023 season could have been better but most reasonable fans predicted 8-9 wins. IMO, 8 or 9 wins feels like the floor with Heupel. The recruiting can be better but it is far from bad. Heupel has brought in his fair share of highly rated players in the last 3 classes. Hard to fault him too much for the 2021 signees. OL acquisitions in the portal are a must right now though. Are you grading on his overall record for the past three seasons or what you expect next year to be?
There are morons among us.

Probably best not to waste anymore of your time with that guy. Hard to fathom he actually believes any of the BS he posts. If he does, then that is sad. Heupel has won 20 games in the last two seasons. Best back to back years since 03-04. Far from a C grade.
Why get all upset when someone creates a Josh Heupel performance review thread and one of us gives an honest evaluation?

At home last season, the Vols were average and on the road they were below average.

It's okay, he is in the same class with Mark Stoops and Drinkiwitz right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky Top T
Career to date at UT, easily an A. He took over the program at it's lowest possible point and has won 27 games in his first three seasons. Fulmer won 28 games his first three seasons and he took over a program that was loaded with NFL talent and had been winning big the prior 4 years and has already beaten Alabama and Florida. It's northing short of a miracle what he's done here. Go back to the weeks after Pruitt/Fulmer left us a crater and I doubt you could have gotten a dozen people who thought we'd make 3 straight bowls after that. Let alone have a top 10 and top 20 finish.

JH fan. Problem. Will I be if in a couple of years we are still losing regularly to Bama, Florida and/or Georgia.

Nope.

Why get all upset when someone creates a Josh Heupel performance review thread and one of us gives an honest evaluation?

At home last season, the Vols were average and on the road they were below average.
Replying against my better judgement. I am not upset at all about your evaluation just kind of surprised by your grade. It is a performance review of his record in 3 years, not just last season or his first. Many fans including myself thought we would be lucky to make bowl during Heupel's first year. IMO, he exceeded expectations especially when you consider the team he inherited along with a roster depleted of scholarship athletes. We finished #6 in the final ranking for 2022 and #17 this past season. Far from average when competing in the SEC. The program finally has an identity again with a good coach leading the way. Now does the program need to continue to improve under CJH? Yes of course. I am glad you have high expectations however they are unfair imo. GBO!

JH fan. Problem. Will I be if in a couple of years we are still losing regularly to Bama, Florida and/or Georgia.

Nope.
Maybe not next year, but the year after, we will have fully recovered from the Pruitt bs and should be in full swing. If we aren’t competing at that point for the sec it’s time to re-evaluate

Maybe not next year, but the year after, we will have fully recovered from the Pruitt bs and should be in full swing. If we aren’t competing at that point for the sec it’s time to re-evaluate
Agree. We can and should matchup with the Bamas and Georgias not forgetting we also have OK and TX coming in. It will be fun to see if the fan sentiment changes, lossless seasons could be a thing of the past.

He is a good offensive coordinator at best, (and at different points this year I questioned that) but is he the coach to build this program up to the upper tier of the SEC ? I don’t think so.

VN Store

Back