2024 Team Expectations

They seem to be a thorn in our flesh. But I am hopeful we go on a multi win streak against them starting next year.
I doubt they're on our schedule in 2025.

Not playing them every year will likely get them out of our headspace. Also, not playing them in September helps. They've usually been exposed by October. Tennessee needs to treat Florida like we treat South Carolina. We build them up to be something they're not. But in 2024, we play in Knoxville in October and I don't know if Napier will still be the coach by then. We should beat them handily.

I think OK plans on starting their QB who got his first start in the Alamo Bowl. He didn't look as good as Nico in our bowl.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Everyone seems to agree on 8-4 and we probably agree on who those 4 loses are. Injuries, road games, all add to potential losses Also, portal commits or de-commits could have an impact. I think it way too early, and we should spend our idle time debating which team Lane Kiffin bails to , replacing a retiring Saban? Harbaugh ? Yes, I know he just got an extension, but that hasn't stopped coaches from leaving in the past.
Who are the 4 losses? Oklahoma, Bama, Georgia, and....?

8-4. Brutal schedule and inexperience at QB.
I think Nico will show why he was a 5 star recruit. I think he will more than hold his own next year and he will continue to grow under Heupels leadership. He has the IT factor and will display his ability to make something out of nothing which Heupel cannot teach. I think he will put the conference on notice that he will be a major factor in bringing success to Tennessee football. He could use 8-10 lbs of muscle next year to absorb the conference grind. He needs to live in the film room this off season and I think he will. We are blessed to have Heupel lead this young man. Go Vols!

Very true. If Nico shows out and is all we hope he is, next year could be very special.
8-4 is reality if a lot of players get worse combined with wholesale injuries. Many of the teams we play have to address issues on their roster such as QB. Luckily, we won't have that problem.

Reactions: njvols and McDad
Our offense MUST improve for us to have any success this year. PFF ranked our players in the bowl game and other than Nico, the offense was terrible. The defense scored much better than the offense. Sampson and Seldon have to learn pass protection, and catching the ball out of the backfield needs much work. This coaching staff has proven it can develop talent. Much development is badly needed.

This doesn't surprise me - but I'd expect it to improve greatly.

We were without Campbell and Spraggins and their replacements are just not SEC-caliber linemen. I do think we need our young guys (Umarov, Reddick, and Lang) to make some big gains this off-season and be ready to help in 2024. One of them will likely start the guard position opposite Spraggins unless we add another portal guy.

Sampson and Seldon know now how serious it is that they learn how to pass protect. It's just a hard thing to learn for a lot of guys, but I think we've got one of the best RB coaches in the country and both Sampson and Seldon strike me as the kinds of guys who want to become masters of their craft.

My biggest concern offensively is WR. They have been bad all year and I know Thornton made a couple of nice plays down the stretch but there's far more evidence of him being bad than there is of him being good. Squirrel is solid but at 5-10/165 lbs, he gets pushed around pretty easily. He made the best downfield catch of the season, but with his size limitations, he's unlikely to dominate in downfield 1v1 situations. His strength is the screen game. Bru is the closest thing we have to a complete WR, but how he comes back from the injury is TBD. I say all that to say that we REALLY need Brazzell and Matthews to come in ready to make an impact. The opportunity is there and they appear to have the ability. Adding Stewart would be HUGE.

TE should improve as well with Staes and more physically mature Davis. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ethan Davis emerge as one of the best TEs in the SEC.

If you put a gun to my head - or made me bet my house or something - I’d say 8-4 is most likely outcome assuming no significant injuries, Bru and Sprag come back, and etc.

We get some tough breaks -and a freshman qb has some freshman moments -and 7-5 could easily happen.

But, there is no gun to my head and my bookie won’t take action that high…. So I’m gonna say 9-3 - which is a VERY good job looking at the talent gap on D that we are slowly building up.
9-3 gonna be hard to do and would be a great season for where we are - I think in ‘25 we outta be 10-2 and playoff calibre!

8-4 is reality if a lot of players get worse combined with wholesale injuries. Many of the teams we play have to address issues on their roster such as QB. Luckily, we won't have that problem.
Of our SEC games, UGA and Bama have QBs who are established.
OK 1st time starter in bowl game
UF will have a new QB...the 5 star recruit maybe???
Vandy will have new.
IDK about UK, MIss St. or Arky.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Brutal schedule? That's as easy a schedule as we could hope for. Probably the 2nd easiest in the SEC next year. Calling that schedule brutal is comical.
What? How many SEC teams have to play both Alabama and Georgia and we add Oklahoma on top of that. Is there a tougher schedule in the conference?

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
We should be the favorite in all but 3 games (AL, GA, OU). If we see improvement in our o-line and defensive backs (if nothing else from greater athleticism), we should expect 9-3 as the floor.

Our offense will probably fall somewhere between 2022 and 2023 in terms of production, and hopefully better in the red zone than we were in 2023.

Agree with others that have said the OU game will set the tone. I'd love for us to give them a big fat L in their SEC debut, and I think we will have a 50/50 shot at that.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
What? How many SEC teams have to play both Alabama and Georgia and we add Oklahoma on top of that. Is there a tougher schedule in the conference?
We have 8 home games and 2 bye weeks. Florida and Bama are both in Knoxville. It’s definitely a good schedule.

Auburn does.
OLe Miss has LSU, UGA, OK,
Bama plays UGA, and OK.

If we pull the upset against the Sooners in Norman, then I believe that could propel us to 10 wins. Orange kool aid is great for breakfast.
I'm not even sure if I'd consider beating Oklahoma an upset. Nico is no less experienced than their guy and their guy threw 3 interceptions in the bowl game. Defensively we should be stout, with the best pass-rusher in the country and an upgraded secondary. Plus we get Arion Carter and Kennan Peli back from injury. They are both better than Telander.

Gotta have the light come on for a couple of our younger O linemen. If so, we may be able to hold our own in the trenches.

I'm not even sure if I'd consider beating Oklahoma an upset. Nico is no less experienced than their guy and their guy threw 3 interceptions in the bowl game. Defensively we should be stout, with the best pass-rusher in the country and an upgraded secondary. Plus we get Arion Carter and Kennan Peli back from injury. They are both better than Telander.
I am assuming that OU would be ranked higher and undefeated when we roll into Norman. They also won 10 regular season games in 2023. Wouldn't be a huge upset.

Auburn does
It appears that way right now. Their schedule is very similar to ours, but they get Missouri instead of Florida and A&M instead of Mississippi State. Time will tell if 2024 Missouri is better than Florida and A&M's best players are transferring after just going 7-6. I still think they'll be better than MSU, but the gap isn't huge. We've got a tougher non-conference opponent.

Agree...really as long as OL is solid, think the main thing missing is a day 1-2 draft guy @ WR...guys we had when we were WRU. Not sure if on the team currently...maybe 5* frosh, but we need some guys who can get separation/space.

Reactions: bpalmer28
If we pull the upset against the Sooners in Norman, then I believe that could propel us to 10 wins. Orange kool aid is great for breakfast.
If we are balanced offensively, and can run next year like we did this year, and Nico doesn't have to carry the team, but can add to everything like we saw him do yesterday, then I think 10 wins is entirely possible.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Tennessee will be similar to this years Washington team next year. We will have likely the best QB in the country with a stable of all world recievers and running backs. The difference is we will be better than Washington in the the trenches by a large margin. Tennessee is not a playoff contender next year, but a Natty contender.

One thing that needs to change is Josh. I really would love to see him drop 50lbs and come into next season lean and disciplined. I think if he does, the whole team will follow and be much more disciplined and eliminate the dumb penalties.

It’s hard to find a loss on the schedule next year, but I’ll say UGA escapes us in Athens

Alabama, Georgia likely losses.
Oklahoma a toss up.
We seem to always stumble against a team we should beat.
So 9-3 ceiling, 8-4 floor. The Oklahoma game will decide which one it will be.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I think the early run of NCstate Oklahoma and Arkansas are the big difference. If we come out of that stretch 5-0 or even 4-1 we are in good shape. But with the portal, it's hard to predict what other teams even look like next year. I would say we are likely favored in 8-9 of 12 games with the 3-4 big games being Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Florida. NC State and Arkansas are who knows? After Kent State, we have a 7 game stretch of no gimmes. Is that first 3 games enough for the offense to get settled in and humming?

Nico looked good in the bowl game as far as results.. but the rest of the offense not so much. He was running for his life every play it seemed. RB's have ot pass block better, WR have to get releases and not drop balls. Oline I'm honestly less worried about. If healthy we are fine. The defense I think is gonna take a big step forward and we are going to need it.

8-4 is the most realistic outcome with the info we have now. If everything pops 9-10 wins and a playoff berth. 10 wins gets us in the playoffs 9 maybe.

VN Store

Back