2024 Team Expectations

AstonRoyal

Strong finish to the 2023 season! What are our expectations for next season?

WR is slightly concerning but I think we have potential there. DB scares me with both depth and unproven talent but the pass rush should help. I actually think our schedule works out for us with home games against Bama and Florida. The game away at Oklahoma somewhat concerns me because of our away record but their QB Jackson Arnold didn't impress me and obviously Georgia will be a challenge. But depending on how Nico and our defensive backs progress I honestly think we should go 10-2.

2024 Schedule:
Chattanooga
NC State (in North Carolina)
Kent State
at Oklahoma
at Arkansas
Florida
Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi State
at Georgia
UTEP
at Vanderbilt

Also took a stab at the potential starting lineup or the different options for starters. Let me know if any of this is off or needs changing:
OFFENSE
QB: Nico (RS FR)
RB: Sampson (JR)/Seldon (SO)
WR: Bru(Maybe)/Nimrod (RS SO)/Webb (RS SO)/Matthews (FR)
WR: Brazell (TR)/Thorton Jr. (SR)
SO: Squirell (JR)
TE: Staes (TR)
LT: Campbell (SR)
LG: Karic (SR)
C: Mays (SR)
RG: Spraggins (SR)
RT: Mincey (SR)

DEFENSE
DE: Tyre West (JR)
NT: Norman-Lott (SR)
DT: O. Thomas (SR)
LEO: Pearce (JR)
MLB: Herring(JR)/Pili (SR),
WLB: Carter (SO)/Tealander (SO)
CB: Gibson (SO)/Matthews (RS FR)
CB: McCoy (TR)
SLOT: Jourdan Thomas (JR)
FS: J. Slaughter (SO)/Jourdan Thomas (JR)
SS: Turrentine (RS JR)/Boo (FR)

As always, 8-4 is the floor and 12-0 is the ceiling. Within that....

...I think the Oklahoma game is the weather vane of the season. Win it, and I could see us at 11-1, in Atlanta, and in the national playoffs. Lose to the Sooners, and I think we're more like 8-4 or 9-3, with a bowl.

And...I think we're gonna beat the Sooners.

Go Vols!

Barring unforeseen disaster I think 8-4 should be the base line moving forward. Heupel has elevated things enough that I don't think that's unreasonable.

10-2 should be attainable with Bama and Georgia being the only 2 programs that will outclass them from a talent standpoint for next season.

Road games against NC ST and OK are sketchy and then there is FL.

They really need to get past this FL mental block. Their program hasn't exactly been stable in recent years either.

I see the OL improving big time (has to) and having Mays back is huge. We got another taste of the ‘22 offense against Iowa with Nico taking snaps and I liked what I saw. 9-3 at the worst.

Likely somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4.

Getting to 10 wins after the bowl/playoff games is always a solid result, and with a first-year starter at QB, it would be excellent for next year IMO.

I’m thinking 8-4. Our offensive line is a major concern to say the least.
This is the safe bet, IMO, but if we add Stewart I'll have higher expectations. Getting Bru back would help, but adding Stewart would really open up the offense - IMO.

As it stands, I think we've got 8 wins on the schedule, 2 losses, and 2 swing games. Depending on how quickly Nico grows up, who comes back, who we add, and how healthy we are... we could be equipped to beat anybody.

Our offense MUST improve for us to have any success this year. PFF ranked our players in the bowl game and other than Nico, the offense was terrible. The defense scored much better than the offense. Sampson and Seldon have to learn pass protection, and catching the ball out of the backfield needs much work. This coaching staff has proven it can develop talent. Much development is badly needed.

WR is slightly concerning but I think we have potential there. DB scares me with both depth and unproven talent but the pass rush should help. I actually think our schedule works out for us with home games against Bama and Florida. The game away at Oklahoma somewhat concerns me because of our away record but their QB Jackson Arnold didn't impress me and obviously Georgia will be a challenge. But depending on how Nico and our defensive backs progress I honestly think we should go 10-2.

2024 Schedule:
Chattanooga
Kent State
at Oklahoma
at Arkansas
Florida
Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi State
at Georgia
UTEP
at Vanderbilt

Also took a stab at the potential starting lineup or the different options for starters. Let me know if any of this is off or needs changing:
OFFENSE

DEFENSE
8-4. Brutal schedule and inexperience at QB.

8-4 or 9-3

Need to see some things from our defense and O-line first to feel any more optimistic than that. That Oklahoma game is going to be a HUGE measuring stick type of game. It’s one that this program has - in recent decades - failed to win consistently.

Also, I think that our mental weakness against Florida is still alive and well within the program. I have to see a couple of wins in a row to start believing that we are over that mental block sufficiently to predict anything but a loss when we play them. We managed to lose to a really bad UF team in 2023. No excuses for that.

Expected wins:
Chattanooga
Kent State
UTEP
Vanderbilt

Probable wins:
Arky
Miss St
Kentucky

Toss ups
Oklahoma
UF

Probable losses
Bama
UGA

Seems like we tend to drop one on the road we shouldn't (Arky?). If that continues, and we come up short on the toss ups, we can could be at 7-5

Reactions: Fatdad32

2024 Schedule:
Chattanooga
Kent State
at Oklahoma
at Arkansas
Florida
Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi State
at Georgia
UTEP
at Vanderbilt

OFFENSE

DEFENSE
Same. 10-2. That schedule isn't tough. I think Tennessee beats NC State and Oklahoma, loses to Bama and Georgia. Chance to beat Bama at home, though. The rest are wins.

Reactions: b_gann
Expected wins:
Chattanooga
Kent State
UTEP
Vanderbilt

Probable wins:
Arky
Miss St
Kentucky

Toss ups
Oklahoma
UF

Probable losses
Bama
UGA

Seems like we tend to drop one on the road we shouldn't (Arky?). If that continues, and we come up short on the toss ups, we can could be at 7-5
I'd put Florida as a probable win in Knoxville. Maybe expected win. They will not be good. And it'll be in October, which matters.

8-4. Brutal schedule and inexperience at QB.
I really hope 8-4 is the pick for some because we don't want to set ourselves up for disappointment. Heupel made it a point of emphasis to retain a lot of vets on the O & D lines for Nico in 2024. We obviously still have some work to do in the secondary & WR but I don't really feel that inexperience at QB is going to be a big deal. Will he make mistakes? Yes but he has tremendous talent along with upside. Those two attributes are gonna win us some games next season against good teams imo. I know the schedule is tough however we have seen what CJH can do with a talented QB that is a natural playmaker. Nico possesses skills that can't be taught.

I'd put Florida as a probable win in Knoxville. Maybe expected win. They will not be good. And it'll be in October, which matters.
They seem to be a thorn in our flesh. But I am hopeful we go on a multi win streak against them starting next year.

Everyone seems to agree on 8-4 and we probably agree on who those 4 loses are. Injuries, road games, all add to potential losses Also, portal commits or de-commits could have an impact. I think it way too early, and we should spend our idle time debating which team Lane Kiffin bails to , replacing a retiring Saban? Harbaugh ? Yes, I know he just got an extension, but that hasn't stopped coaches from leaving in the past.

I really hope 8-4 is the pick for some because we don't want to set ourselves up for disappointment. Heupel made it a point of emphasis to retain a lot of vets on the O & D lines for Nico in 2024. We obviously still have some work to do in the secondary & WR but I don't really feel that inexperience at QB is going to be a big deal. Will he make mistakes? Yes but he has tremendous talent along with upside. Those two attributes are gonna win us some games next season against good teams imo. I know the schedule is tough however we have seen what CJH can do with a talented QB that is a natural playmaker. Nico possesses skills that can't be taught.
Very true. If Nico shows out and is all we hope he is, next year could be very special.

VN Store

Back