PSA: Support Spyre and The Volunteer Club

I think you’re all right. NIL is what it takes to win. A little each month to help your team win is not going to kill anyone. But people are going to continue getting more and more tired of doing so when players demands keep increasing while they continue leaving teams for something better. Biting the hand that feeds you, etc.

Not sure when it will happen but it will happen. NIL is going to morph into performance based contracts. You a million dollars/year we want certain goals to be reached. Oh and don’t forget about Uncle Sam! The tax man always gets paid.

Whether it’s worthy or not isn’t really the point. I mean - do you use that logic every time you make a purchase? Do you really need a new car or could you buy a beater and give the 40k you save to St Jude?

The point is - NIL is a reality. Whether the kid is “self absorbed” or not, they’re getting offered money to go to schools.

Just as you’d leave your job if another company offered you more money. Does that make you “self absorbed?”

If you enjoy Vols football and want to compete for championships then you ought to be a Vol Club member.

It’s just the reality of sports now and it isn’t going back. Sorry
Then consider me just a passive fan from now on. Discontentment, money and greed ruins yet something else.

Reactions: Ratvol
I think you’re all right. NIL is what it takes to win. A little each month to help your team win is not going to kill anyone. But people are going to continue getting more and more tired of doing so when players demands keep increasing while they continue leaving teams for something better. Biting the hand that feeds you, etc.
NIL = Greed, not need

Reactions: bpalmer28

That’s really the programs around the country fault for paying them what they ask, not the players.

In my opinion if you spend time on a message board talking about the team you love then you can afford $5-$25 a month but I understand why someone wouldn’t (plenty of examples in this thread). I will say this though if you do not donate you cant complain if we don’t land that 5 star or if a start player decides to transfer. Hate it or love it the transfer portal and NIL are here to stay, either adapt or die (as a program).

In my opinion if you spend time on a message board talking about the team you love then you can afford $5-$25 a month but I understand why someone wouldn’t (plenty of examples in this thread). I will say this though if you do not donate you cant complain if we don’t land that 5 star or if a start player decides to transfer. Hate it or love it the transfer portal and NIL are here to stay, either adapt or die (as a program).

How about even if you do donate you can’t complain. If you want to, just keep your donation instead. Would be a much more pleasant VN.

Even the ones who do donate, still complain about recruiting.

What’s the difference???

This time 1000^^^

While I didn’t attend college I have Worked hard for my money and I be damned if I am going to give it away to some 18 year old who is already being given an opportunity to get an education that if taken seriously will set them up for a very good future. If my donation, tickets and beer purchases aren‘t enough then we will never win another championship again.
Be a south carolina fan then. UT is having no problem selling tickets and beer. And that alone is not what championships are built on, never has been. You just never could see the money before. Now it’s out there and every little bit is going to be needed to be at the top.

Same here. Didn't pay off my school loans until my forties. Worked my backside off for 40 years. Not the least bit interested in "gifting" my hard earned money on....as you put it...privileged athletes. This is no longer the college football I grew up watching and loving. I watch and cheer, but it's just different now....and not for the better IMO.
You’re right it’s not what you grew up with. But, is anything? And I’d argue the product on the field is more prolific and exciting than that of the 70s and 80s.

Be a south carolina fan then. UT is having no problem selling tickets and beer. And that alone is not what championships are built on, never has been. You just never could see the money before. Now it’s out there and every little bit is going to be needed to be at the top.
I will cheer for who I want and will not allow some fan on a forum tell me how to spend my money.

Last edited:
Reactions: KptVFL
It won’t. Fans are already tired of paying ridiculous ticket prices. I would never contribute to a fund that supports privileged athletes. I worked full time to pay for three degrees to earn a comfortable income and in no way identify with kids wanting a free ride to become millionaires.

Face it, championships are bought and not earned these days and loyalty to the programs we once admired is only as good as the latest bid.
Teams are trying to cash in like it’s the gold rush. Eventually the crazy offers will work themselves out when the money and diminished returns starts to dictate how much players are paid instead of the current going rate. But until the market comes to equilibrium, it’s the Wild West. Capitalism at its finest.

He’s right though.

Most of these kids will go on to the NFL and make more money than any of us normal people will make in our lifetime.

If you want to donate, that’s cool. But telling people they aren’t true fans because they don’t donate to Spyre, is dumb.

Reactions: KptVFL

VN Store

Back