Recruiting Football Talk VII

Interesting---

I get on here this morning and already seeing folks lowering/tempering their expectations for the next few years of anywhere from 7-9 wins for the next two seasons... Understandable to a degree.

Yet Heup and staff/Danny White say and were brought in with the goal of winning championships... It seems we have missed on a lot of kids the second half of this recruiting cycle for whatever reason. (I read anything from not a culture fit, wanted too much NIL than we thought they were worth, they decided on another school, etc...).

It seems/looks like as of today, that we are not pushing the transfer portal as hard for difference makers as other teams are doing right now... Maybe that changes, but just going by what's happened as of this morning. We legitimately could get 3-4 upgrades if willing, to potentially get another 1-2 W's the next few seasons, but it looks like our coaching staff is good with what they have, except maybe shopping for a TE right now.

The next two seasons will be year 4 and 5. Yet we are looking at or expecting to tread water in that 7-9 range. Yes it is better than where we were with Pruitt/Jones/Dooley, but not the expected goal to my understanding by year 5.

I still truly am glad we got Heupel and think he's absolutely the best thing for our program right now, but I don't really like the perceived potential mindset of 8-9 wins and a bowl every year...

Would be a nice surprise to see us start getting aggressive in the portal to pick up more talent that will help us get to the next level quicker while we continue to develop the younger talent.

Yup. Combined with uninspiring play by Tua.

He has too many games where he has to say "I gOtTa DeW bEtTa" to his teammates.
One of his biggest weakness is he has very little off the cuff playmaking ability when the play breaks down. Once that internal clock hits his “oh ****” threshold in the pocket though, he's done for and he panics. He is all rhythm and timing. When it’s on, he can pull the strings perfectly and this offense can do whatever it wants. That’s why Tyreek is such a big loss. He can get into the pockets of a defense and get downfield so quickly that it’s very tough on a defense. That’s why Tua is top of the league or at least top 3 in the league of getting the ball out quickly. I’d love to see that stat compared as a “with Tyreek” and “without Tyreek” though.

Sure was. Outside of QB, there are two players that we just can’t lose as they change the whole ability of the offense: Tyreek and Connor Williams at center. We lost both in the 2nd Q. Offense fell to **** once they both did.

Officially a worried for the rest of the year if they both are out extended periods of time. It’d also help to have more than just 1 consistent OL starter healthy this year, but that doesn’t seem like it will happen. We finished last night with only Austin Jackson healthy. Not a good recipe for success. Injuries catching up to us.
Saw where they expect to lose Connor for the year

Interesting---

I get on here this morning and already seeing folks lowering/tempering their expectations for the next few years of anywhere from 7-9 wins for the next two seasons... Understandable to a degree.

Yet Heup and staff/Danny White say and were brought in with the goal of winning championships... It seems we have missed on a lot of kids the second half of this recruiting cycle for whatever reason. (I read anything from not a culture fit, wanted too much NIL than we thought they were worth, they decided on another school, etc...).

It seems/looks like as of today, that we are not pushing the transfer portal as hard for difference makers as other teams are doing right now... Maybe that changes, but just going by what's happened as of this morning. We legitimately could get 3-4 upgrades if willing, to potentially get another 1-2 W's the next few seasons, but it looks like our coaching staff is good with what they have, except maybe shopping for a TE right now.

The next two seasons will be year 4 and 5. Yet we are looking at or expecting to tread water in that 7-9 range. Yes it is better than where we were with Pruitt/Jones/Dooley, but not the expected goal to my understanding by year 5.

I still truly am glad we got Heupel and think he's absolutely the best thing for our program right now, but I don't really like the perceived potential mindset of 8-9 wins and a bowl every year...

Would be a nice surprise to see us start getting aggressive in the portal to pick up more talent that will help us get to the next level quicker while we continue to develop the younger talent.

My translation:
8-9 win floor is the level you can catapult to NC level with a great QB and some breaks.

Does not mean people want to never compete for more, but this should be the base. I personally disagree with 8, but we are in the world's hardest conference and schedules change now so I don't disagree.

One of his biggest weakness is he has very little off the cuff playmaking ability when the play breaks down. Once that internal clock hits his “oh ****” threshold in the pocket though, he's done for and he panics. He is all rhythm and timing. When it’s on, he can pull the strings perfectly and this offense can do whatever it wants. That’s why Tyreek is such a big loss. He can get into the pockets of a defense and get downfield so quickly that it’s very tough on a defense. That’s why Tua is top of the league or at least top 3 in the league of getting the ball out quickly. I’d love to see that stat compared as a “with Tyreek” and “without Tyreek” though.
As you know, I'm not a fan of Tua. I like the Peyton Manning style QBs that are incredibly cerebral over these QBs that have some of physical talent and rely on the coach too much.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
I think it’s probably 8 with 4 straight losses to Florida, UGA, Bama and Oklahoma.

Yes. We play all four of them in a row. Insane.

No we don't.

We play OU on September 21. The next two weeks likely include Arkansas and a bye.

Florida on October 12 and Bama on October 19.

Three weeks of undecided games - likely includes MS State, Kentucky and another bye.

UGA isn't until November 16.

No we don't.

We play OU on September 21. The next two weeks likely include Arkansas and a bye.

Florida on October 12 and Bama on October 19.

Three weeks of undecided games - likely includes MS State, Kentucky and another bye.

UGA isn't until November 16.
I was looking at a schedule without dates. Acknowledged that later on in the thread

The reality of the new SEC is that 8 wins is pretty good. It will have you just below the top tier of the conference, and will be what 12 of the 16 teams will be hoping for every year.
Ahhh so we should have expectations of the bottom twelve and the top four will always dominate us.

We need to start acting like the top program that we are and stop lowering expectations. Auburn, UF, and LSU will fire their coaches if they only win 8 games a year by year four and five. Napier is likely gone mid season next year. They were already back channeling this season.

The reality of the new SEC is that 8 wins is pretty good. It will have you just below the top tier of the conference, and will be what 12 of the 16 teams will be hoping for every year.
Yep. Going forward, 9 wins in the SEC is the new 11 when it comes to the playoffs....provided the stars align for UT.

Ahhh so we should have expectations of the bottom twelve and the top four will always dominate us.

We need to start acting like the top program that we are and stop lowering expectations. Auburn, UF, and LSU will fire their coaches if they only win 8 games a year by year four and five. Napier is likely gone mid season next year. They were already back channeling this season.
They have suffered for doing that, just like we have.

Henry= 2 rushing TDs
Levis= 1 TD and 1 INT

Levis is a below average QB. Without Henry they lose this game.

Below average is a stretch lol

Levis is an above average QB but still making rookie mistakes. The pick 6 was atrocious, but without him they lose that game going away.

Helps that Hopkins is so damn good too.

this 100%

the SEC is going to eat their own with new teams and new scheduling... I just hope it helps more than hurts. The goal now is to make the 12 team playoffs... but you likely need 9 wins (or more) which is way easier in some conferences

Interesting---

Did you ever get around to watching the rest of Alabama and Purdue? Your Crimson Tide lost to Purdue by more than the Vols. I hope you are able to move on from it.

The irony of that kool-aid tweet is that the inference is the kid did drink the kool-aid over a stereotype which was also referenced as a stereotype of the sender. A double entendre flavored drink as one might say.

Purple is my favorite btw.

Reactions: So.ProVOL
He'd be good if he could cut out they brain-dead plays.
Honestly ever NFL Quarterbacks make bone head plays... sometime during game....

Even the HOF Quarterbacks will say if I hadn't have thrown that ball....

Levis may not be All Pro but will eventually be a adequate QB...

I think they are only saying if we win 9 the glass is 2/3 full. Should we dump the glass out if we miss a third one year?

VN Store

Back